MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion

MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion (https://my350z.com/forum/)
-   Engine & Drivetrain (https://my350z.com/forum/engine-and-drivetrain-50/)
-   -   Engine Grounding Kit, worth it? or Mostly Cosmetic? (https://my350z.com/forum/engine-and-drivetrain/518784-engine-grounding-kit-worth-it-or-mostly-cosmetic.html)

thetachi49 03-29-2011 05:26 PM

Engine Grounding Kit, worth it? or Mostly Cosmetic?

I've been reading about engine grounding kits since I purchased my Z last year, and am wondering if the claims are true: Increases HP as well as Torque, Stronger and faster starts, Smoother idle, More responsive acceleration, etc. Are these proven results, or is this a waste of money?

Stock2Autocrozz 03-29-2011 05:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Looks the ish, great for aftermarket electronics...some people have stated helped their stumble on idles....I did it for diff reasons, electrics, N2o, etc....but I wouldn't say it is going to boost your power through the roof...

You can make your own btw easily...

archangel72 03-29-2011 05:41 PM

I had one on my accord, I think my windows went up faster, lol. Its hit or miss with this, i really have not seen anything dyno proven, but some people feel a difference some don't. I say do it, its not expensive or difficult.

djamps 03-29-2011 07:38 PM

Seems to help the 5AT guys (crisper shifts).... nothing really proven with the 6MT crowd.

sdZ33 03-29-2011 09:29 PM

Save your dough, it does nothing... And it makes your engine bay look busy...

dcains 03-29-2011 10:51 PM

Total BS, and biggest waste of money I can think of. Think about how much current your starter draws, especially in cold weather with thick oil. Once the engine is running, the total current drain can't be more than 10 amps, if even that. A/C adds another 6, or so, radiator fans a few more, etc., but nothing like what a starter draws. If your car starts, your engine is grounded more than well enough for everything else.

Stock2Autocrozz 03-29-2011 10:56 PM

How cold does it get in FL?! Lol, as I said before, I draw a lot from diff electric accessories, and when considering audio even more so in future, but in the end cosmetics is def over full functionality.....not the case tho w my maxima when replacing/building up poor connections that have been eaten through by salt,grime etc **** ya get places where it is actually COLD lol

dcains 03-29-2011 11:11 PM

We see low 30's a few times a year, and I'm using 5w30 Mobil 1, so my Z starts just as quickly as in the summer, but I do also have 3 cars notorious for weak grounds (Alfa Romeo Spider's - '74, '87, and '92). In the case of the Alfa's I have cleaned all the grounds and power terminals I could get to on the wiring harnesses, installed heavier battery cables and ground straps, as well as larger gauge wiring from the B+ terminal on the alternator. Quicker starts, faster wipers, brighter headlights, etc. but those wonders of Italian engineering are no comparison to a modern Japanese car, in terms of their electrics.

Alfa never did it right at the factory, but even so, I noticed no increase in overall performance of the cars, even though voltage and current were measurably higher at various power connections to the engine, ignition and fuel ECU's, and fuel pumps.

Stock2Autocrozz 03-29-2011 11:25 PM

Lol, so ya know they do serve purposes some times....low 30's, its finally 30 here and its a damn heat wave, you gave me my laugh for the day thx :)

str8dum1 03-30-2011 08:54 AM

fully cosmetic
/thread

superchargedg 03-30-2011 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by djamps (Post 9053483)
Seems to help the 5AT guys (crisper shifts).... nothing really proven with the 6MT crowd.

Did nothing for my shifting...took it off years ago and just threw it in the garbage.

djamps 03-30-2011 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by superchargedg (Post 9054476)
Did nothing for my shifting...took it off years ago and just threw it in the garbage.

Glad I never installed mine... every time I see them on a VQ I can't help but think how messy it looks.

ImportPartsPro 03-30-2011 10:15 AM

It's great for old cars with corroded existing grounds. On newer cars it's not really worth it. If you want you could just a couple of your own from the timing cover (lots of sensors grounded there) to the chassis. Prolly won't notice any gains though.

ashtrojan2008 03-31-2011 09:20 AM

It was my last resort to my crank angle sensor issue causing tach to jump around. Grounding kit fixed it almost completely.
Ultimate fix was new Geiger wheel on my jwt flywheel after much fighting with jwt, but the grounding cables helped. Looking for power from this however is a bit ridiculous.

ashtrojan2008 03-31-2011 09:22 AM

^trigger wheel* stupid auto correct on iPhone. Can't edit post on iPhone either.

Sam Mcgoo 04-22-2011 12:00 PM

I wouldn't have thought it would give power gains, but it can't be a bad thing on a car with a lot of electronics.

One of the traders over here done a bit of testing with a scope and discovered that it helped reduce signal noise at the ECU from the AFM and throttle body.

See here. http://www.350z-uk.com/forum/viewtop...?f=161&t=45809

derekinthez 04-22-2011 01:20 PM

waste of money

Z You Later 04-22-2011 02:51 PM

don't listen to everyone who says they are a waste of money since majority never installed them...

I have them installed for over a year now and it did smooth out my idle a bit, start up is quicker than normal, and it helped out the smoothness in delivery to my electronics...power wise, yes you will not see any gains but electronically with subwoofers or any other aftermarket electronics, it does help.

if you never have installed them, don't "chime in" with a useless post

derekinthez 04-22-2011 06:31 PM

Dude, I've had them. Still have one on my 94tt with all its extra gadgets. Total waste of money !
Total waste of space.

Originally Posted by Z You Later (Post 9104226)
don't listen to everyone who says they are a waste of money since majority never installed them...

I have them installed for over a year now and it did smooth out my idle a bit, start up is quicker than normal, and it helped out the smoothness in delivery to my electronics...power wise, yes you will not see any gains but electronically with subwoofers or any other aftermarket electronics, it does help.

if you never have installed them, don't "chime in" with a useless post

Stock2Autocrozz 04-22-2011 06:47 PM

In all my defenses on numerous of these threads over the years..Dont think it increased my fire up,lol...the f'n optima prob took care of that!