MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion

MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion (https://my350z.com/forum/)
-   Engine & Drivetrain (https://my350z.com/forum/engine-and-drivetrain-50/)
-   -   cp piston direction? (https://my350z.com/forum/engine-and-drivetrain/518868-cp-piston-direction.html)

the_coupe 03-30-2011 12:19 PM

cp piston direction?

so the cp pistons i got have no markings giving direction upon install. the only thing i can differentiate is how the bottom of the skirt is notched on one side, but all 6 pistons are done the exact same. i waitin on a response from cp and having a problem gettin ahold of a tech on the phone. any help cuz im waitin to put my rods/pistons in til i find this out. thankss

Nathan 03-31-2011 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by the_coupe (Post 9054932)
so the cp pistons i got have no markings giving direction upon install. the only thing i can differentiate is how the bottom of the skirt is notched on one side, but all 6 pistons are done the exact same. i waitin on a response from cp and having a problem gettin ahold of a tech on the phone. any help cuz im waitin to put my rods/pistons in til i find this out. thankss

Are the valve relief cutouts in the pistons a different size for inlet & exhaust valves?
If they are then it's easy

350zion 03-31-2011 06:38 PM

True^

baker0308 03-31-2011 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by Nathan (Post 9058113)
Are the valve relief cutouts in the pistons a different size for inlet & exhaust valves?
If they are then it's easy

no its the same....

u have to look at the bottom of the piston, it has a cut out for the oil squirters..... ull know if u installed it backwards/wrong cuz as soon as u turn the crank by hand it will break them off

Nathan 04-01-2011 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by baker0308 (Post 9058138)
no its the same....

u have to look at the bottom of the piston, it has a cut out for the oil squirters..... ull know if u installed it backwards/wrong cuz as soon as u turn the crank by hand it will break them off

Well now it's even easier, as the valve reliefs are all the same size & all the pistons are identical you assemble with the cutout to clear oil squirters

winchman 04-02-2011 12:43 AM

Are the notches in the pistons needed to clear the crankshaft when the piston is near bottom dead center? If so, some will go forward and some will go aft depending on the location.

Bpb713 05-26-2014 09:15 PM

Sorry to revive the dead but this post wasted my whole weekend. Rather than calling CP Friday afternoon, I went off the info above, stating they will only work 1 way and that if its wrong it'll break off the oil squirter. WRONG!!! They will work either way on either side. My previous pistons were JE and they were stamped L/R & INT. Anyway I'm gonna call CP soon as they open back up from memorial day weekend... Oh and the notches cut would only work for one bank but not the other.

fridaytech21 07-09-2015 11:06 AM

Did you figure out what the orientation was? I called CP this morning and they were saying that the side that is not notched is the intake side and the side that is notched is the exhaust side. But my machine shop is telling me the opposite. What did CP tell you?

CP needs to mark their pistons, JE all the way next time!

travlee 07-09-2015 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by fridaytech21 (Post 10620458)
Did you figure out what the orientation was? I called CP this morning and they were saying that the side that is not notched is the intake side and the side that is notched is the exhaust side. But my machine shop is telling me the opposite. What did CP tell you?

CP needs to mark their pistons, JE all the way next time!

you responded to a thread that hasnt been touched in a year, and 3 years since the original post

350zjason350z 07-09-2015 03:08 PM

I have cp Pistons ... There are 2 sets of notches on the piston ...

fridaytech21 07-11-2015 07:34 AM

Yeah I know it was an old thread, was installing the pistons and saw differences but CP does not include any orientation guide as to what direction they go. Thanks 350zjason350z, after talking to CP the next day the cleared it up for me. The pistons have the "oil squirter cut out" which is very noticeable, this goes toward the intake side on bank one. Then the other side has a much smaller cut out for the squirter called a "cam cut". It was just tripping me out that the pistons are completely symmetrical. Dealt with other companies pistons that are well marked and are asymmetrical.

renanbiro 04-22-2022 02:34 PM

Sorry to revive the topic but I have the same "problem". What was the solution for installing CP Carrillo pistons?

bealljk 04-24-2022 03:19 PM

Typically marked pistons have offset wrist-pin bosses - so if there are no marks, the wrist-pins are centered, and the skirts are the same than it does not matter. I would tell you to install them all the same way for each cylinder.

renanbiro 04-24-2022 04:42 PM

OK, but the 6 pistons are identical, they have the notches on the same side, so only one bench will have the notches directed towards the jet oil

bealljk 04-24-2022 05:43 PM

Install them and see if they hit the squirters

renanbiro 04-25-2022 11:32 AM

I've already done this test and it doesn't catch on the squirters, but only one side is apparently "correct"