Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Rogue E. short shifter + trackday review....:(

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2003, 04:07 PM
apex locator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Unhappy Rogue E. short shifter + trackday review....:(

first of all, i havent contacted RE yet since its still sunday. i will call tomorrow and email them tonight.

well, installed the RE short shifter the weekend before buttonwillow on 12/20. feel of the shifter was excellent, and as others have stated, a tad bit tougher to shift, but that makes it feel very solid.

on trackday everything was ok at first. but as the day went on, the shifter began developing a "spongy" / elastic feel to it, which ultimately resulted in the following: (sorry for the sideways picture)
Attached Thumbnails Rogue E. short shifter + trackday review....:(-img_0273.jpg  
Old 12-21-2003, 04:10 PM
KJY9

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Same EXACT thing happened to mine.
I wrote BJ @ 350evo.com (where I purchased mine from) to tell him about this. I just coated it with epoxy and put it back on and it's been fine since.
Old 12-21-2003, 04:12 PM
apex locator

you can see why it would feel mushy. so i had to park my car for the rest of the day because i couldnt shift faster than 2 secs. b/w gears . it couldnt have happened at a worst time, 2 laps into the last session of the day. well, hopefully i can get this resolved before big willow on jan 10th. btw, anyone selling their stock shifter? i really messed up my stock one getting that dam plastic ball socket out

ps. should i ask for a refund, or chance a replacement RE shifter separating on me again on a trackday??
Attached Thumbnails Rogue E. short shifter + trackday review....:(-img_0274.jpg  
Old 12-21-2003, 04:13 PM
JeffR116

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

WHOAH!

Now that's obviously not supposed to happen...
I'm sure you were doing some dandy shifting at the track, but there's no excuse for the shifter falling apart on you like that.
How long were you on the track before you could tell a difference in the shifter?

Let us know what R.E. says.

Jeff
Old 12-21-2003, 04:17 PM
apex locator

Originally posted by KJY9
Same EXACT thing happened to mine.
I wrote BJ @ 350evo.com (where I purchased mine from) to tell him about this. I just coated it with epoxy and put it back on and it's been fine since.

thanks for the info, i'll try the epoxy trick. have you tracked your car since then?
Old 12-21-2003, 04:17 PM
KJY9

Originally posted by b18bvudoo
...anyone selling their stock shifter? i really messed up my stock one getting that dam plastic ball socket out

I've still got mine in great condition as I bought a new cup for my short throw shifter. If you want it PM me, but like I said before..epoxy that rubber and the inside of the upper arm of the shifter and you should be good to go. I've been banging gears with it since and it hasn't come apart yet
Old 12-21-2003, 04:18 PM
KJY9

thanks for the info, i'll try the epoxy trick. have you tracked your car since then?
No tracking up here again until spring. But I'm not easy on the shifter either
Old 12-21-2003, 06:01 PM
350Z_Redline

The same thing happened to mine while I was reinstalling my shift **** BY HAND . Except the rubber piece on mine stayed inside of the top portion of the shifter. I kept wondering why my shift **** wouldn't get tight only to notice that the top portion was pivoting on the bottom portion of the shifter. I also wrote BJ @ 350evo.com and he said he would be speaking to RE about it. I'm shipping the shifter back to him tomorrow to get my refund. Hopefully this separation problem is not a common issue.

Last edited by 350Z_Redline; 12-21-2003 at 06:13 PM.
Old 12-21-2003, 06:10 PM
jeffw

I think I remember one of the R.E. guys posting something about a requirement that the shift **** should only be hand tightened. Using a wrench (with a rag around the ****) would put too much stress on the adhesive and potentially break it free.

--
Jeff
Old 12-21-2003, 07:10 PM
FLY BY Z

Ben@Rogue said that. I said that my shifter rattled so I had to tighten my shift **** with superhumanlike strength to make it stop. He recommended against this for that very reason. I haven't had any problems with mine yet but I don't drive the car much.
Old 12-21-2003, 08:58 PM
apex locator

Originally posted by FLY BY Z
Ben@Rogue said that. I said that my shifter rattled so I had to tighten my shift **** with superhumanlike strength to make it stop. He recommended against this for that very reason. I haven't had any problems with mine yet but I don't drive the car much.

my shift **** is hand tightened, and not even that hard either
Old 12-21-2003, 09:05 PM
KJY9

my shift **** is hand tightened, and not even that hard either
Same here...not tightened very hard at all...seems to be a common problem. I noticed on mine that there was just a few dabs of glue holding it on at the very bottom.
Old 12-21-2003, 09:12 PM
spazpilot

don't they also want a lot for this shifter? Sounds like a group refund if you ask me.
Old 12-21-2003, 09:13 PM
FLY BY Z

I think it had to do with me not having the stock ****.
Old 12-21-2003, 09:14 PM
spazpilot

WHOOOO! I just saw the price. That is way to much for a shifter. I would really consider getting my money back for that.
Old 12-22-2003, 04:46 AM
KJY9

Originally posted by spazpilot
WHOOOO! I just saw the price. That is way to much for a shifter. I would really consider getting my money back for that.
?!?!?

It's much better than the stock shifter...and it took me all of 5 minutes to fix with some epoxy.
True I shouldn't have had to fix it at all, but it works fine now.
You stick with your stock shifter, I'll still with this one
Old 12-22-2003, 05:00 AM
FLY BY Z

Originally posted by spazpilot
The Pro 5.0 shifter for the Z28 is like 180. This is produced for a ton of Mustangs and Camaros. I think 240 for a Z is not so bad.
Old 12-22-2003, 05:51 AM
DeeZee

FYI, i finaly talked to the guys over at B&M about the prototype i was talking about the other day. they gave me a part # for the new 350z short throw shifter (no price yet??), and said 6-8 weeks untill they release it! sorry but i dont have the part # with me?? im waiting untill theirs is released! if i were you guys, id get my money back, and get the B&M! just my $.02
Old 12-22-2003, 06:07 AM
dwnshift

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I will be taling to Rogue Engineering today to see what they can do on this matter. I only have one experience with a B&M shifter and it was in a GT 3RS Porsche at Watkings Glenn during the Rolex weekend there last year.... going into the bustop at 165 mph....Its wasnt pretty... Thats all I am going to say about it....I have been running one of the prototype shifters that Rogue sent me and have had no issues with it. I think I might know what happened and am looking into it.
Old 12-22-2003, 06:18 AM
DeeZee

i dont know how much B&M has done in the import community?? but my father ran a B&M shifter in EVERY muscle car he ever owned, and NEVER had a problem! then again......he probably wasnt doing 165!?!?

Quick Reply: Rogue E. short shifter + trackday review....:(