MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion

MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion (https://my350z.com/forum/)
-   Engine & Drivetrain (https://my350z.com/forum/engine-and-drivetrain-50/)
-   -   spx fuel tap (https://my350z.com/forum/engine-and-drivetrain/54701-spx-fuel-tap.html)

philsill350z 12-26-2003 08:37 PM

spx fuel tap

when i put this on wont fuel go all over how do i plug it if i have to and whats the best way to make it not leak

alex30327 12-26-2003 09:29 PM

Mine leaked like a mo-fo! Everyone that I have talked to that has gotten this adaptor has had the same problem! Don' t know if the fuel damper has changed with the newer Z's but mine did not work worth a damn (got my Z last august)! save your money and just use a T- adaptor to tap the fuel line. There is nothing you can do to get it to work!

daking350 12-27-2003 06:52 AM

The fitting works perfect when installed properly..First of all you need to ensure there is an "O" ring on the fitting and then make sure t install the unit straight down so as not to chew up the "o" ring...I found out the hard way...Twice...
Second make sure the spacers you construct are EXACT length..Too long and it will leak..Too short and you will bend the fuel pressure regulator and it will leak...This devise works perfect when installed properly, it is what NISSAN uses to check fuel pressure using a guage...Please for god sakes DONT cut your fuel line you are ASKING for trouble, especially if you have to return the car to the dealer for something, you will be F*$KED..Phill I gave you a price for the install and have done it before so why not let me take care of it..

alex30327 12-27-2003 08:54 PM

Originally posted by daking350
The fitting works perfect when installed properly..First of all you need to ensure there is an "O" ring on the fitting and then make sure t install the unit straight down so as not to chew up the "o" ring...I found out the hard way...Twice...
Second make sure the spacers you construct are EXACT length..Too long and it will leak..Too short and you will bend the fuel pressure regulator and it will leak...This devise works perfect when installed properly, it is what NISSAN uses to check fuel pressure using a guage...Please for god sakes DONT cut your fuel line you are ASKING for trouble, especially if you have to return the car to the dealer for something, you will be F*$KED..Phill I gave you a price for the install and have done it before so why not let me take care of it..

I appreciate the post, but you are not telling me anything that I did not already know, or have tried. My adaptor along with several other people just does not work like it should. You must be one of the lucky few! I was thinking that maybe it is possible that the first production cars (my vin is 230) have a slightly different fuel damper or something. I know that I have the right adaptor, the problem is that it just does not work worth a damn. there is no way the one I have can work! You are much better off just cutting the fuel line! One more note, if you have to take your car to the dealer, you should not be doing any of this in the first place.

daking350 12-27-2003 09:17 PM

Originally posted by alex30327
I appreciate the post, but you are not telling me anything that I did not already know, or have tried. My adaptor along with several other people just does not work like it should. You must be one of the lucky few! I was thinking that maybe it is possible that the first production cars (my vin is 230) have a slightly different fuel damper or something. I know that I have the right adaptor, the problem is that it just does not work worth a damn. there is no way the one I have can work! You are much better off just cutting the fuel line! One more note, if you have to take your car to the dealer, you should not be doing any of this in the first place.
Where is it leaking from?did you maybee warp the SPX adapter somehow???My vin is 588 so I doubt they changed things..

belerin 12-28-2003 06:57 AM

I had the same problem. What I did to fix it was the following:

1. Make sure O-ring on bottom of adapter.
2. Then I put another o-ring, same part number, over the end of the adapter and push it all the way up to where it met the fat part of the adapter.
3. Then I had to replace the o-ring on the damper because I chewed it up.
4. DO NOT USE THE 4AN FITTING THAT COMES WITH THE ADAPTER!!!!!! IT WILL LEAK AND DOES NOT ACTUALLY ALLOW FUEL TO FLOW THROUGH IT.
5. The fitting that comes with the adapter doesn't have any teflon or thread sealant and leaks like crazy, if you were to add teflon or thread sealant (prefered) it would stop leaking. However, like I said, the fitting that comes with it doesn't open to flow fuel when used with the nitrous kit. I had to unscrew the fitting and use the one that came with my Zex kit. If you don't have Zex, you may have to go buy a fitting that works. When I screwed in that fitting, I used thread sealant (from any autoparts store) to seal the connection and WHOLA, no more leaks.

I fought with it for about a weak to get it to work, but now it works great and perfect A/F ratio.

I wouldn't cut the fuel line for the following reasons:
1. If you take it to the dealer, you're screwed.
2. There have been several reports of the pressure actually blowing the fitting off the fuel line from where the splice was made.
3. The fuel pressure is not stable before the fuel damper. The fuel damper is what regulates and delivers a constant, regulated fuel pressure to the fuel rail. If you splice into the fuel line before the damper, your fuel pressure is not properly regulated and may cause you to be too lean or rich which is bad for nitrous as you may now.

Hope this helps... here is recap, use 2 o-rings on adapter, use thread sealant on fittings, and don't use stock fitting that comes with the adpater. Aiight, let me know.

cyberz350 12-28-2003 10:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Guess I can chime in as I am currently having this problem. First I have some pictures of this lil basturd thats causing us some problems.

cyberz350 12-28-2003 10:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
another

cyberz350 12-28-2003 10:51 PM

And this is where it is supposed to go,

https://my350z.com/forum/attachment....&postid=499132

this picture is off of daking350z's system from this thread

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....&highlight=spx

cyberz350 12-28-2003 11:15 PM

Now that all that is clear.

My SPX adaptor came with a little o ring which isn't in the picture, it fits in that groove on the bottom. When I first tried to install mine it leaked as well. Suspected as much because, murphy's law seems to be in effect in everything I install. Anyways, I compare the oring on the SPX to the one on the damper and the one on the damper looks slightly beefier. I'm thinking it might be the o ring.

I first go the the dealer to order an factory ring just to find out it is on special order and about 4.00 Here is the part number the guy found for me if anyone is interested or wants to cross reference it. 16618-10V10

So I go to Kragens hoping to find a comparable o-ring. I think I find the jackpot when I find an oring that seems to fit snugly and is slightly beefier. But when I get home and try to install it, I guess the ring is too big and won't go on, I try and try, eventually messing up the ring, I finally get it on by screwing it down. Unfortunately, it still leaked, but that ring was pretty messed up.

And that is where I am now.

Questions for belerin:

1. Where are you getting your o rings, do you have any part numbers? How much are they?

2. Where did you get the spacers? Do you know exactly how long they are?

3. I think I see what you're saying about the fitting, you can see it in the picture. Something would have to push that pin in for it to open right? Where would I get the correct fitting? I wouldn't even know what to ask for.

Kay thats it for now. I think this is the longest post I've ever written.

daking350 12-29-2003 03:29 AM

Originally posted by cyberz350
Now that all that is clear.

My SPX adaptor came with a little o ring which isn't in the picture, it fits in that groove on the bottom. When I first tried to install mine it leaked as well. Suspected as much because, murphy's law seems to be in effect in everything I install. Anyways, I compare the oring on the SPX to the one on the damper and the one on the damper looks slightly beefier. I'm thinking it might be the o ring.

I first go the the dealer to order an factory ring just to find out it is on special order and about 4.00 Here is the part number the guy found for me if anyone is interested or wants to cross reference it. 16618-10V10

So I go to Kragens hoping to find a comparable o-ring. I think I find the jackpot when I find an oring that seems to fit snugly and is slightly beefier. But when I get home and try to install it, I guess the ring is too big and won't go on, I try and try, eventually messing up the ring, I finally get it on by screwing it down. Unfortunately, it still leaked, but that ring was pretty messed up.

And that is where I am now.

Questions for belerin:

1. Where are you getting your o rings, do you have any part numbers? How much are they?

2. Where did you get the spacers? Do you know exactly how long they are?

3. I think I see what you're saying about the fitting, you can see it in the picture. Something would have to push that pin in for it to open right? Where would I get the correct fitting? I wouldn't even know what to ask for.

Kay thats it for now. I think this is the longest post I've ever written.

I useda fuel injector O ring as I ruined the original o ring also...
The pacers I made from aluminum tubing
The fitting MUST be replaced with a 3 A/N - 3/8" fitting from NOS...I believe that is the correct size....The lenght of the spacers is also pretty critical!!

Jspec350z 12-29-2003 04:04 AM

Are you sure the fitting that came with it will not flow fuel? I have been having issues all along with my whole nitrous kit. Maybe this is one of them?

12SecZ 12-29-2003 04:36 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I just tapped in with an EFI kit, no adapter, no issues and have pics of where I tapped FWIW. Got me in the 12's.

daking350 12-29-2003 08:39 AM

Originally posted by Jspec350z
Are you sure the fitting that came with it will not flow fuel? I have been having issues all along with my whole nitrous kit. Maybe this is one of them?
That fitting WILL NOT flow fuel freely..It is designed to work when you attach a guage to it to check fuel pressure..Needs to be replaced otherwise your only getting N2O and NO FUEL!!:eek:

philsill350z 12-29-2003 10:40 AM

when i go to put the spx piece in will fuel spill all over and if so how do i cut the flow off?

12SecZ 12-29-2003 11:59 AM

Needs to be replaced otherwise your only getting N2O and NO FUEL!!

Which in a dentist office might be kinda cool but on our blocks made out of aluminum sheeting you could get the big bang therory in your engine bay it seems. BOOM! Friggen holes in the block.

Give me back the cast iron block of old any day!

daking350 12-29-2003 12:39 PM

Originally posted by philsill350z
when i go to put the spx piece in will fuel spill all over and if so how do i cut the flow off?
You need to pull the fuse for the fuel pump and start the car till it stalls out.This relieves the fuel pressure but it will still dribble out so have rags there!!and make sure the engine cools off before you pull the fuel line!!:D

philsill350z 12-29-2003 01:12 PM

thanx for the help guys

Darin 12-29-2003 02:33 PM

Re: spx fuel tap

Originally posted by philsill350z
when i put this on wont fuel go all over how do i plug it if i have to and whats the best way to make it not leak
Just to reiterate, I had the same issue on my G35 - the supplied O-ring is TOO SMALL. Had to also go to Nissan dealer and get the O-ring made for the fuel dampener. Good luck.

cyberz350 12-29-2003 03:29 PM

Originally posted by Jspec350z
Hey Jspec, have you sprayed with your nitrous setup yet? Because if Daking350 is right, and you aren't flowing any fuel, your engine can get f'ed up real fast. What are these issues you are having. Does your SPX have the same fitting as mine, (shown in picture) ?

[Originally posted by Daking350
The fitting MUST be replaced with a 3 A/N - 3/8" fitting from NOS...I believe that is the correct size....The lenght of the spacers is also pretty critical!!
Is there anywhere else I can get that fitting, like home depot or anything? And can anyone verify that that is the correct size, I don't want to order the wrong thing.

Just to reiterate, I had the same issue on my G35 - the supplied O-ring is TOO SMALL. Had to also go to Nissan dealer and get the O-ring made for the fuel dampener. Good luck.
And Lastly Darin
Did you have to replace your fitting? If not, did it look like the one in the picture?