Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

"Shifty" Shifted Performance: My experience.

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2012, 01:19 AM
stein350z

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

i'm so sorry 4 u travis
Old 04-13-2012, 08:55 AM
Aaron Freeman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by OCMan
What finance are you using to revitalize ur Z? Student loans?
OC Man why do you even care how he is Financing this build. So what if you uses some of his student loan money on his car. He is the one that has to pay this loan back. Not you!!!!! Or are you just jealous cause he is smart enough to be able to get student loans.

Dont hate the player. Jump out there and learn to play the game instead of crying about it.
Old 04-13-2012, 09:17 AM
graffkid732

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Aaron Freeman
OC Man why do you even care how he is Financing this build. So what if you uses some of his student loan money on his car. He is the one that has to pay this loan back. Not you!!!!! Or are you just jealous cause he is smart enough to be able to get student loans.

Dont hate the player. Jump out there and learn to play the game instead of crying about it.
Think he was just being sarcastic.
Old 04-13-2012, 10:17 AM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

sooo, why did Shifted Performance have that motor apart to begin with. I missed the part where you had it built....
Old 04-13-2012, 11:04 AM
graffkid732

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by str8dum1
sooo, why did Shifted Performance have that motor apart to begin with. I missed the part where you had it built....
Believe it or not, I thought of this just a little while ago. Also, I'm sure he got this from a jdm engine source of some sort. They only have a 30 day guarantee on start up. It is possible that you just bought a bad motor.

Last edited by graffkid732; 04-13-2012 at 11:06 AM.
Old 04-13-2012, 11:47 AM
jerryd87

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Looking at his previous posts they where supposed to put a titan headgasket in it. Im guessing the bearing was probably from shitty tune and detonation.
Old 04-13-2012, 07:42 PM
Aaron Freeman

Originally Posted by str8dum1
Well from what I understand. They told Travis they popped the oil pan open to check the bearings. Also I noticed the strong odor of 90w oil in the engine today. They also had the head shaved and installed ARP studs. In which the loaded in a ton of torque lube in the block side of the studs. You are supposed to Back tap the holes and install them into the block dry, and you the torque lube under the washer and a small bit on the threads when you torque the nuts down.

But yet in the reply from Shifted they also said that the motor was unknown or tested.

Im sorry but if you go into the engine and check the bearings and shave a head. Well its not unknown. You now know what the engines is about. But if you over torque the rods. Well you will just cause them to fail prematurly.

I always check every engine and transmission out before I install it. I also replace the front and rear seals. I check for any other oil leak. The transmissions also get a front and rear seal, new filter, and a external fluid cooler. For just a few extra bucks its cheap insurance to do the job right and then you know what you got.
Old 04-13-2012, 08:03 PM
Aaron Freeman

Originally Posted by jerryd87
Looking at his previous posts they where supposed to put a titan headgasket in it. Im guessing the bearing was probably from shitty tune and detonation.
No... the shitty tune was a rich run to keep it for detonating, and because there where a few crossed wires on the ecu. Its better to run it rich till you get a good mapping burned. As for the "Titan" head gasket. Well it sure looks like a O.E.M. replacement M.L.S. gasket to me.

Our base mapping it a rich start off. Until we can get it on a dyno and work on a final tune.

It really funny. The day Travis went to get the car. They told him that it would be ready to drive when he got there. That didnt happen. Travis had to call Josh to come out after working 12 hours at his shop, and take a 8 hour drive, and running on about 3 hours of sleep in 2 days. Just so they could get it to start. Only to find out that the BOV wasnt even hooked up......

There is so much that happened in the whole story. Alot of the finer details get lost in the mist of the larger mess ups.
Old 04-13-2012, 08:17 PM
OCMan

Are you 16? No need to explain myself about asking Travis the question.
Old 04-13-2012, 08:42 PM
Flo-ridaZ33

Received 73 Likes on 53 Posts

^Do you like men?

That type of question doesn't need to asked here and has little or no relevance to this thread... If it was sooooo important you can PM Travis so STFU.
Old 04-13-2012, 08:51 PM
Aaron Freeman

Are you 16? No need to explain myself about asking Travis the question.
What business is it of yours to be asking such a question. You his DAD??? I think its wrong for you to even ask. half the crap I seen you post in here has been ragging on him in the first place. I dont care if you are his best friend or a relation. That not something you air out in a forum. The man is a Student, He's employed, and he is a U.S. Vet of Iraq. I think thats more then enough for you or anyone needs to know. So back off him. Show him some respect. He has delt with enough B.S. He dont need you crap piled on.

By the way. If I was 16. Do you think I would be rebuilding this cluster f#$K for him????

(Man.... Some peoples children...... NO RESPECT!)
Old 04-13-2012, 09:06 PM
OCMan

What business is it of yours to be asking such a question. You his DAD??? I think its wrong for you to even ask. half the crap I seen you post in here has been ragging on him in the first place. I dont care if you are his best friend or a relation. That not something you air out in a forum. The man is a Student, He's employed, and he is a U.S. Vet of Iraq. I think thats more then enough for you or anyone needs to know. So back off him. Show him some respect. He has delt with enough B.S. He dont need you crap piled on.

By the way. If I was 16. Do you think I would be rebuilding this cluster f#$K for him????

(Man.... Some peoples children...... NO RESPECT!)
your brain is behaving like it's 16. can't blame you for not seeing it. I was being sarcastic about the question.

You must have some kind of attention deficit disorder.

This is my last conversion w/ you. Chill out dude.
Old 04-13-2012, 09:22 PM
Aaron Freeman

your brain is behaving like it's 16. can't blame you for not seeing it. I was being sarcastic about the question.

You must have some kind of attention deficit disorder.

This is my last conversion w/ you. Chill out dude.
1.) Yes... I do have A.D.D. & A.D.H.D

2.) sorry I took it personally. Cause it the same kinda crap Shifted tried to pull. Wasnt funny then, and it pisses me off even more now.

3.) Im just looking out for a friend who has been screwed over badly. Put yourself in his and my shoes and I think you can see where Im coming from.

& 4.) My Military Pride takes over. ( Born & Raised on a Marine Corp Base) I will stand up for any Vet. who has had the courage to fight for this country.

So again. Sorry, but I hope you see where Im coming from on this. If it was meant as a joke. To me it was really tasteless and seemed like you was ragging on him. Like I said in another post. There is alot more to this story. Here you are only getting about 1/4 of it. If you knew what transpired like I do, you might be trying to get passed me to jump someone for saying the wrong thing.
Old 04-13-2012, 09:39 PM
NgoFcukinWay

man, that sucks to hear about this build. I was a bit skeptical about the shop too. Always have been about shops either way. :\

Let me know how those motor mounts come out. I might be interested in a set if the price is far and the mounts are of good quality assuming you guys plan to make a few extra ones.
Old 04-13-2012, 09:44 PM
jerryd87

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

not to add fuel to the fire but A.D.D. and A.D.H.D is a double positive, Since A.D.D. is attention deficit disorder and A.D.H.D. is attention deficit hyperactivity disorder. A.D.H.D. is the same thing as A.D.D. just with hyperactivity aded =P

wasnt starting anthing with previous post just pointed out they where supposed to put the titan headgasket in it, not that they actually did.
1.) Yes... I do have A.D.D. & A.D.H.D

2.) sorry I took it personally. Cause it the same kinda crap Shifted tried to pull. Wasnt funny then, and it pisses me off even more now.

3.) Im just looking out for a friend who has been screwed over badly. Put yourself in his and my shoes and I think you can see where Im coming from.

& 4.) My Military Pride takes over. ( Born & Raised on a Marine Corp Base) I will stand up for any Vet. who has had the courage to fight for this country.

So again. Sorry, but I hope you see where Im coming from on this. If it was meant as a joke. To me it was really tasteless and seemed like you was ragging on him. Like I said in another post. There is alot more to this story. Here you are only getting about 1/4 of it. If you knew what transpired like I do, you might be trying to get passed me to jump someone for saying the wrong thing.
Old 04-13-2012, 10:19 PM
travismaser

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lolz...you d#mn guys....i know it was a joke about the student loans thing...OF COURSE I AM!!! lol JK...i have alot stashed away from the build that i kept on the side JUST INCASE...but thats running out fast lol

but the mounts will be done soon and ill have up close pics of them with all specs on the metals used and so on...they will be cut on a cnc machine and will be welded properly (not like they were b4)...they are also going to cost conciderably less. if i am mentioned during purchase, im sure there can be a better deal made too

other than that, for those interested..the motor is getting BC 625+ rods, CP pistons with upgraded wrist pins and ACL race bearings...as for the head, i have not ordered anything yet...but i will be doing Brian Crower 272 cams and im not real sure yet what springs....but that wont be happening till winter...thats when im going to go with my bigger fuel setup and maybe a bigger turbo...just depends on how i like the car this summer...

keep your eyes out for the "My Toyota 350z RE-build" thread
Old 04-14-2012, 11:31 AM
Aaron Freeman

Originally Posted by jerryd87
not to add fuel to the fire but A.D.D. and A.D.H.D is a double positive, Since A.D.D. is attention deficit disorder and A.D.H.D. is attention deficit hyperactivity disorder. A.D.H.D. is the same thing as A.D.D. just with hyperactivity aded =P
LOL.... Its a double wammy. Just going by what the Dr. said.... or something to that effect...LOL....... when im working on cars or graphics Im perfectly fine... But everything else Im all jumpy. gotta be doing something...... It sux.... meds sux worst. they make me a total zombie... Its not easy being 40 and being as hyper as a 5 years high on a sugar buzz all the time.
Old 04-14-2012, 12:30 PM
c_morse

LOL.... Its a double wammy. Just going by what the Dr. said.... or something to that effect...LOL....... when im working on cars or graphics Im perfectly fine... But everything else Im all jumpy. gotta be doing something...... It sux.... meds sux worst. they make me a total zombie... Its not easy being 40 and being as hyper as a 5 years high on a sugar buzz all the time.
I just had a complete Fast and the Furious moment.

Jesse - "There's just something about cars... that calms me down."
Old 04-14-2012, 01:48 PM
xilovelsdx

Why does is seem like there is so many ****ing horror stories with performance shops? What is the deal with mechanics and being so ****ing shady?
Old 04-14-2012, 08:13 PM
Aaron Freeman

Originally Posted by xilovelsdx
Why does is seem like there is so many ****ing horror stories with performance shops? What is the deal with mechanics and being so ****ing shady?
The best way to explain it is there are two types of shops, and 4 levels of mechanics

Shop types
1. Dreamers who think they can do it all and bite off more they they can chew

2. And those shop that can. A shop that can is easy to spot. They are busy, alittle messy, and they have a few toys you can check out.

Levels of Mechanics

1. The people who work for large chain stores. (ie" Pep Boys, NTB, Sears) they are profit driven over paid Parts Changers. Sorry it is what it is.

2. The back yard mechanic. He / or she is the one that lives close by that is always working on something. Rather a project or someone in the neighborhoods cars. While they are not the greatest. They get it fixed well enough to get you to a real shop to have it done right. They are more the handyman type. While not all back yarders rig stuff up, some do. These are the kind of mechanic that when you find a good one. You keep them close to you for life!!!!!!! They are just trying to make a honest living and do the best they can with what they have. (They are not all bad)

3. The guy who thinks he a mechanic cause he hang out with people who do this for a living, they have a toolbox, and a half assed idea of how something works.

4. The Real Mechanic. Most of the time their car looks like its going to fall apart. That cause they are fixing everyone elses stuff and never has time for his one ride. His tool payment is almost as much as a car payment. And they would rather try to fix the problem then to just go and buy a new replacement part. (rebuild it) These mechanic can before found in their own shops, & new car dealerships. They always cost more then any other mechanics. Thats cause they are always buying new tools to work on the ever changing field. And they are getting recertified every 2 to 5 years.

They are sometimes really hard to tell apart. But a real mechanic will stand behind his work. They are willing to go that extra mile to make you happy and they are a stickler for the details. They care cause their name is going out there on each and every car or truck they work on. And they know that "Word of Mouth" can make'em or break'em.

This is the best way I can explain it. I also reccomend that you just walk into the shop and just talk to the people. Most good mechanics will sit there and chat with you about damn near anything under the sun. This is where having good people judging skills come into play. The more passion a mechanic has about cars the more likly they will do good work. There is alot more to being a good mechanic then just being able to turn wrenches.

Ok sorry... went off on another rant..... LOL.

Quick Reply: "Shifty" Shifted Performance: My experience.