MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion

MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion (https://my350z.com/forum/)
-   Engine & Drivetrain (https://my350z.com/forum/engine-and-drivetrain-50/)
-   -   The problem with catch cans and the 350Z (https://my350z.com/forum/engine-and-drivetrain/555947-the-problem-with-catch-cans-and-the-350z.html)

F2CMaDMaXX 05-18-2012 11:39 AM

The problem with catch cans and the 350Z

1) They're all universal (i found one for the 350 and it's not made anymore)
2) They're $50 from Ebay and just an empty can (which is next to useless!)
3) They're $300-$400 and baffled from some big name
4) They're still universal and don't fit without some kind of compromise/modification.

There are others, but those are the main problems.

Every catch can setup i've seen, is either miles away from the main piping (not ideal) and/or custom drilled hole or something else had to be moved etc.

Anyway, i've found a company, they make proper baffled OCC's and they're made here in the USA!

Bonus #1 - They're properly internally baffled.
Bonus #2 - They cost well under $100
Bonus #3 - I just finished with the company on the design so it fits in the 350Z engine bay, with a bracket, without need to modify the car or move anything.

I'm expecting delivery, hopefully next week, once i've confirmed all the fittings, direction of inlets/outlets, length of hose needed and the bracket works as intended, i'll get a review and plenty of pics up, maybe as part of a DIY fitting guide.

I'm hoping it's possible to have the option of a sight tube, my prototype should come with one, but it will be an optional extra if you want it, and it does have a built in drain on the bottom.

For the HR's, i'm not sure, i don't have one to work with the dual intakes so i don't know what room is left on the passenger side of the engine bay, but it might work, we'll see.

Originally Posted by Updated with the can information

OK, sorry for taking so long with this, i'm just making a quick update here with some dirty pics.

The can is now ready, i will update the first post with the details as well.

The can is a Saikou Michi oil catch can, it's from their "micro" series, it has a customized bracket and a quick plate to hold the can securely on the power steering reservoir bracket.

It's been connected on my car for two weeks now, everything is running great.

Details of the cans from Saikou Michi are on their website http://www.saikoumichi.com/
Refer to the 'The Difference' section for details on the can and why it's one of the best values out there http://www.saikoumichi.com/OCC_explanation.htm

This is an american designed and manufactured can, this configuration can be asked for and you'll get a nice setup with the bracket mods and custom angled inlet/outlet for the most direct routing of the tubing. Proper 'no tools' drain plug on the bottom for easy empting and the option of a 'sight glass'

My version of the can has slightly incorrect angles for the piping, but that is corrected on the full production version. I also chose to have a 'sight glass' for ease of maintenance.

http://www.madmaxx.myzen.co.uk/350z/...ikouocc-16.jpg

http://www.madmaxx.myzen.co.uk/350z/...ikouocc-17.jpg

Pricing is just $50 for the can, add $5 for the sight glass and $10 for shipping within the USA. International shipping is available, just ask when ordering.

Let me know if you guys have any questions.

mike_eee 05-18-2012 06:18 PM

i am interested!

Cux350z 05-18-2012 06:41 PM

http://www.injectedperformance.com/i...g352003-06.htm

what is wrong with this one?

F2CMaDMaXX 05-19-2012 12:22 AM

Originally Posted by Cux350z (Post 9742660)

1) It's $200
2) It vents to atmosphere, the air is metered, i needs to go back in the engine.
3) Pretty certain i don't have a space/holes there to mount.
4) It mentions nothing of the internals, as i said, a lot are just empty cans, some may contain sponge or something, but the holes are right next to each other.

jerryd87 05-19-2012 01:55 AM

does injecteds site even work for purchases still? it was my understanding they where closed and the site would be coming down soon(not trying to steer anyone away an honest question)

op that can i believe is stainless not aluminum(correction? i have sasha can so its just what i read somewhere.) and uses nylon braided line with an fittings not regular hose, that stuff isnt cheap trust me. it plainly says baffled, a open can would be false advertisement and you could go after the business if they did that. finally............... the air going from your crankcase to intake is metered? how the hell did you do that? maf sensor in the hose going to your intake or something?

terrasmak 05-19-2012 06:27 AM

http://saikoufabrication.blogspot.co...&max-results=3 under $100 , baffled and custom made for your specs. Getting two made soon.

Cux350z 05-19-2012 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by F2CMaDMaXX (Post 9742874)
1) It's $200
2) It vents to atmosphere, the air is metered, i needs to go back in the engine.
3) Pretty certain i don't have a space/holes there to mount.
4) It mentions nothing of the internals, as i said, a lot are just empty cans, some may contain sponge or something, but the holes are right next to each other.

1. Cheap ass
2. Goes between the Valve Covers
3. You have the holes. Space depends on your setup
4. It is baffled. https://my350z.com/forum/engine/5086...h-can-kit.html Your search would tell you this.

bmccann101 05-19-2012 09:54 AM

fantastic. i just bought a catch can that doesnt have a baffle.. wasnt aware of all this.. damnit.

you guys think dropping a bit of pvs or clear plastic tubing down to the bottom from the fittings up top would help a bit?
I cant get it open to get steel scrubber material in there as Im now seeing ppl do.. but i can certainly drop a 6 inch section of clear tubing on one side to at least make sure that the holes arent right next to each other.. i wondered how that worked too until i saw this thread..

thoughts?

F2CMaDMaXX 05-19-2012 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by jerryd87 (Post 9742885)
does injecteds site even work for purchases still? it was my understanding they where closed and the site would be coming down soon(not trying to steer anyone away an honest question)

op that can i believe is stainless not aluminum(correction? i have sasha can so its just what i read somewhere.) and uses nylon braided line with an fittings not regular hose, that stuff isnt cheap trust me. it plainly says baffled, a open can would be false advertisement and you could go after the business if they did that. finally............... the air going from your crankcase to intake is metered? how the hell did you do that? maf sensor in the hose going to your intake or something?

How a can is baffled is highly open to interpretation.

Plenty of place trade under false info, i don't think that'll stop a lot of places, but point taken.

Where do you think the air going into the crankcase comes from? it's a closed system, it's also a (mostly) one way system, venting from both sides with that can breaks the whole PCV system.

F2CMaDMaXX 05-19-2012 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by terrasmak (Post 9742970)
http://saikoufabrication.blogspot.co...&max-results=3 under $100 , baffled and custom made for your specs. Getting two made soon.

Yup, he's who's making this for us, great guy to work with.

F2CMaDMaXX 05-19-2012 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by Cux350z (Post 9742990)
1. Cheap ass
2. Goes between the Valve Covers
3. You have the holes. Space depends on your setup
4. It is baffled. https://my350z.com/forum/engine/5086...h-can-kit.html Your search would tell you this.

1) Really? sorry, don't want to spend money i don't need to for a relatively simple setup.

2) Yup, that is *not* how a PCV system works, that's a bad move.

3) Also true, but generally not so easy and no one seems to have done anything other than try and drill holes, or screw into an inconvenient location etc. Works, but not ideal.

4) That's a piss poor attempt at baffling, i'm talking non direct routing and material to help condense the oil, the gasses will take the easiest route, so that design isn't very good (but don't get me wrong, it's FAR better than a lot of cans)

F2CMaDMaXX 05-19-2012 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by bmccann101 (Post 9743129)
fantastic. i just bought a catch can that doesnt have a baffle.. wasnt aware of all this.. damnit.

you guys think dropping a bit of pvs or clear plastic tubing down to the bottom from the fittings up top would help a bit?
I cant get it open to get steel scrubber material in there as Im now seeing ppl do.. but i can certainly drop a 6 inch section of clear tubing on one side to at least make sure that the holes arent right next to each other.. i wondered how that worked too until i saw this thread..

thoughts?

Yes, that will help, put the tube on the intake side. Put some course wire wool, or just a pan scrub in there.

This is what i mean by a decent internal design.

http://www.saikoumichi.com/REV_C_SECTION_publish.jpg

Voboy 05-19-2012 12:40 PM

why not make one with two inlets (both valve cover sides) and 1 outlet (vacuum)? pretty much like the arc design.

jerryd87 05-19-2012 12:51 PM

yes and they also get sued all the time and forced to take the info down, considering how long that has been for sale congratz its definitly baffeled.

and no **** its a closed system i dint ask where it came from i asked how the **** your metering it. the pcv system is NOT metered in a stock application, venting it to the atmosphere will not change anything except you might get smell.............

the pcv system will work fine without being hooked to a vacuum system, it is sent back into the engine merely to ensure there is no smell, it is to eliminate pressure in the crankcase, open vent works just fine it only needs a place to escape. NUMEROUS applications simply run breathers on the valve covers and eliminate the pcv system completely and it works just fine.

Originally Posted by F2CMaDMaXX (Post 9743176)
How a can is baffled is highly open to interpretation.

Plenty of place trade under false info, i don't think that'll stop a lot of places, but point taken.

Where do you think the air going into the crankcase comes from? it's a closed system, it's also a (mostly) one way system, venting from both sides with that can breaks the whole PCV system.

Cux350z 05-19-2012 12:57 PM

Please do enlighten us on how to properly route the line then?

there is a long thread about it with several different methods.

Youre going to discredit any example that is brought up. Present your solution.

mw9 05-19-2012 01:42 PM

in for updates

rcdash 05-19-2012 03:15 PM

Injected Performance fabricated products are tried and true and tested on their 8 second Z. A breather on the catch can or elsewhere in the setup is a must for FI. With MAP based tuning air metering is irrelevant. With MAF based setups you might not want unmetered air in the plenum, but that's easy to work around. Rather than relying on internet gossip, just find a quality can such as the Injected one linked to above and go with one of the proven methods from users who have it installed successfully (see one of the large threads in the FI section).

F2CMaDMaXX 05-19-2012 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by Voboy (Post 9743263)
why not make one with two inlets (both valve cover sides) and 1 outlet (vacuum)? pretty much like the arc design.

It's called the Positive Crankcase Ventilation system. It means positive pressure from the intake, is fed into (in our case) the drivers side of the engine.
This pushes fresh filtered air into the crank, taking the carbolic and corrosive gasses with it.
This is then pushed & pulled out of the passenger side head via the PCV valve.
After the valve, is the pipe that leads back into the plenum and the air/gas mix is fed into the engine to be re-burnt.

If you have a pipe coming from the top of both sides, that hit the can and then vent to atmosphere, how much of the PCV system do you think will still be running?
If you have it 'vent' to the plenum again, it will work partially, but you don't have a fully effective positive pressure system.

F2CMaDMaXX 05-19-2012 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by jerryd87 (Post 9743272)
yes and they also get sued all the time and forced to take the info down, considering how long that has been for sale congratz its definitly baffeled.

and no **** its a closed system i dint ask where it came from i asked how the **** your metering it. the pcv system is NOT metered in a stock application, venting it to the atmosphere will not change anything except you might get smell.............

the pcv system will work fine without being hooked to a vacuum system, it is sent back into the engine merely to ensure there is no smell, it is to eliminate pressure in the crankcase, open vent works just fine it only needs a place to escape. NUMEROUS applications simply run breathers on the valve covers and eliminate the pcv system completely and it works just fine.

That's fine, i don't care if it's being sold correctly or not, don't ignore the part where i described the ineffectiveness of the baffle the picture shows. No doubt it's better than no baffle, but it's still crap, the gasses will always take the easiest route.

The MAF has metered the air already, it expects it to be in the combustion cycle, it's got nothing to do with metering the PCV system.

The PCV system will work if the PCV valve vents to atmosphere (illegal) But it will not be as effective. Cars used to do this, but modern cars are designed with it working the stock way, they're no longer the rough burn engines of old.

It's sent back to the engine to keep down noxious emissions and to conform to regulations concerning them, it's not a smell thing.

I'm not really sure why you're arguing. I'm just talking about the problem with poorly fitting, poorly designed systems that cost the earth. I already have the solution, it's on it's way.

F2CMaDMaXX 05-19-2012 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by Cux350z (Post 9743277)
Please do enlighten us on how to properly route the line then?

there is a long thread about it with several different methods.

Youre going to discredit any example that is brought up. Present your solution.

The solution is coming soon, as i explained at the end of the first post. As for the correct routing, that's in the FSM and i explain it two posts up :)