Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Stage 4 excedy twin disc clutch chatter in neutral.

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2013, 05:01 AM
Kirpy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face Stage 4 excedy twin disc clutch chatter in neutral.

Ok I've read a bunch of threads about the clutch chatter in neutral.... I wish I would of done it before I spent $1800 on a new clutch and flywheel. But here's my new/old problem. I just had a new excedy stage 4 twin disc and lightweight flywheel installed. The mechanic drove it about 50 miles before sending me home last night with it. He wanted to make sure the new third gear syncro was working correctly also. It did not chatter when I picked it up. So I drove it home. Est 100 miles at 70mph. I stopped in my driveway left it running because I had to move the grill In the garage. And of course the chatter was back. It has a new throw out bearing installed with the clutch. Any advice? It's an 2003 DE
Old 06-07-2013, 08:17 AM
binder

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

There are 2 disks with a metal plate between them. When you unload them and the engine is still spinning at 750rpm (idle) they bang around.

So you can have a good clutch that chatters because you unload it or you can get a crappy single disk that has a monster heavy pressure plate to get it to hold power and wears out twice as fast. Personally I like my carbonetics triple since nothing else could hold my power.
Old 06-07-2013, 08:45 AM
Kirpy

Originally Posted by binder
There are 2 disks with a metal plate between them. When you unload them and the engine is still spinning at 750rpm (idle) they bang around.

So you can have a good clutch that chatters because you unload it or you can get a crappy single disk that has a monster heavy pressure plate to get it to hold power and wears out twice as fast. Personally I like my carbonetics triple since nothing else could hold my power.
Good to know thanks. I just picked the car up a month and a half ago. It started chattering on week two. The single disc he pulled out resembled a excedy single disc clutch. It had there signature purple. And that chattered as much as my twin. Oh well.
Old 06-07-2013, 09:35 AM
binder

ya, it's the price to pay for multi disk. Not only do you have a clutch plate but you now have 2 plates and a metal separator between them that rattle around. Just put the car in neutral and let off the clutch when you are idling. The pressure plate will clamp down and stop the noise.
Old 06-07-2013, 11:54 AM
Kirpy

That's when it chatters tho. In neutral and off the clutch.
Old 06-08-2013, 12:46 PM
binder

hmm, the pressure plate would be clamped down then so the plates won't be moving. That might be something else rattling in there. Are you sure it's a chatter or more like a squeal? A throw out bearing will squeal but again should have issues when the pressure is off the bearing.
Old 06-09-2013, 07:18 AM
Kirpy

No it's a chatter. And I had a new throw out bearing put in with the clutch. And he said the old throw out bearing didn't have much wear at all. Maybe 3 thousandths.
Old 06-10-2013, 11:29 AM
binder

Hmm, strange. Plate chatter happens when the clutch is disengaged (pushed in) since there is no pressure on them. It shouldn't make noise when you engage (let the clutch pedal out) since the plates will be clamped together.