MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion

MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion (https://my350z.com/forum/)
-   Engine & Drivetrain (https://my350z.com/forum/engine-and-drivetrain-50/)
-   -   Master cylinder? Slave cylinder? Clutch? (https://my350z.com/forum/engine-and-drivetrain/606873-master-cylinder-slave-cylinder-clutch.html)

sherm 09-29-2015 05:16 PM

Master cylinder? Slave cylinder? Clutch?

Need some help mechanic guys..so I'm driving making a U-turn and I had to punch it because traffic was coming, so when I go to put the car into second gear, it won't go in gear, same issue with 3rd-6th, it just wouldn't go into gear. So I pull over to the side of the road and try to just take it from start and try and start from 1st gear, and it wouldn't even go into gear, like something is blocking it. So the clutch remains engaged while the car is turned on for some reason. I turn the car off and can put it in all the gears with no issues, when I tried to start the car in first gear it kicked the shift knob out, when I held the shift knob in first and started the car, it tried to start driving and stalled out. I think it may be the slave cylinder but could it be anything else? Like a bad clutch? Thanks in advance guys..

HRMoneyPit 09-29-2015 05:58 PM

Let me guess you have a HR?

sherm 09-29-2015 06:05 PM

2005 35th anniversary. So DE Rev-up with 104k miles. According to previous owner, stage 2 clutch was installed at around 60k miles.

dcains 09-29-2015 06:28 PM

Could be a few things. Check the hydraulics; is the reservoir full, any leaks under the car? Check,the clutch fork and pivot, which requires a visual inspection.

HR Z's are certainly not the only cars to have these sorts of failures. I had to replace the clutch slave in one of my Alfa's last week.

travlee 09-29-2015 06:39 PM

change fluid first, if no resolution, look to master and slave

sherm 09-29-2015 06:58 PM

Sorry guys I neglected to tell you what I've done so far...so I jacked the car up and put it on jack stands and had my father depress the clutch to see if the slave was working properly. He pushed the clutch in and I saw the slave cylinder retract, so i believe it's good. I used a turkey Bastet to get the brake fluid out of the reservoir and put it in an oil pan to hold the fluids. Went under the car and released the bleed valve, however, nothing came out. I had to have my father pump the clutch to get the brake fluid to actually come out. After the lines were clear of any brake fluid, I disconnected the line and hose from the master cylinder and replaced it with a new one. I reconnected the line, Jose, and reservoir now all I need to do is bleed the system which will be done in the morning once I get off of work. If I need to change the throw out nearing fork or the clutch pivot do I have to drop the transmission? If so I'll need to take it to a shop because I do not have enough space to drop the transmission..

faiz23 09-29-2015 08:50 PM

You will have to drop transmission to access the throwout bearing, fork or pivot ball

sherm 09-29-2015 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by faiz23 (Post 10658582)
You will have to drop transmission to access the throwout bearing, fork or pivot ball

Do you think it's any of those? I'm praying it's not and I'll be able to drive it in the morning, but I am on edge hoping and praying it's nothing in the tranny.

travlee 09-30-2015 03:19 AM

it could be one or more of those, process of elimination

jes1888 05-12-2016 08:51 AM

Did you found out what it was op? Hope you did! :icon21:

Shane Petersen 10-05-2017 12:58 PM

Gears stuck.

Originally Posted by sherm (Post 10658593)
Do you think it's any of those? I'm praying it's not and I'll be able to drive it in the morning, but I am on edge hoping and praying it's nothing in the tranny.

Hi Sherm. Could you please tell me what was wrong with your car. And how did you fix it. Cause i have the same problem now. I took my car in to Nissan mechanic in July for slipping clutch. Now my car does the same as yours did the last time.

your reply would really help me out.

Shane

travlee 10-05-2017 01:33 PM

He hasnt logged in for over year and a half....dont hold your breath on him answering

MicVelo 10-05-2017 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by Shane Petersen (Post 10919104)
Hi Sherm. Could you please tell me what was wrong with your car. And how did you fix it. Cause i have the same problem now. I took my car in to Nissan mechanic in July for slipping clutch. Now my car does the same as yours did the last time.

your reply would really help me out.

Shane

Likely same answer as found here from yesterday:

https://my350z.com/forum/engine-and-...l#post10918828

When asking questions of this nature, please include year, model and if there are any modifications to or near the part in question. This helps the diagnosis. For example, if yours isn't an '07-08 HR car, the link above may or may not help you unless you change a few words in it.

OCz33hr 12-17-2018 07:29 PM

Sorry wrong thread

Noah Lowe 04-11-2020 03:39 PM

So I have a 2006 350z base coupe and I've replaced the slave cylinder twice the first time I didn't make it all the way threw installing and it blew the cylinder out of it and it was a life time warranty part so I got it, replaced it and made it all the way threw blending it and drove it about a mile and it blew the cylinder out again is there something I'm missing the master cylinder is only 3 years old and was replaced with a dealer part the clutch its self is a "racing" cluch with about 30k miles on it haven't had any issues with it any time recently

Conway_160 04-11-2020 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by Noah Lowe (Post 11019276)
So I have a 2006 350z base coupe and I've replaced the slave cylinder twice the first time I didn't make it all the way threw installing and it blew the cylinder out of it and it was a life time warranty part so I got it, replaced it and made it all the way threw blending it and drove it about a mile and it blew the cylinder out again is there something I'm missing the master cylinder is only 3 years old and was replaced with a dealer part the clutch its self is a "racing" cluch with about 30k miles on it haven't had any issues with it any time recently

Do you have the Master Cylinder adjusted correctly? Do you have the correct Pivot ball installed in your transmission? Both of these can cause your slave cylinder to over extend and die a painful death....