MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion

MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion (https://my350z.com/forum/)
-   Engine & Drivetrain (https://my350z.com/forum/engine-and-drivetrain-50/)
-   -   Valve cover/spark plug tube gasket help (https://my350z.com/forum/engine-and-drivetrain/610465-valve-cover-spark-plug-tube-gasket-help.html)

Sleeper_Z 04-18-2016 05:54 PM

Valve cover/spark plug tube gasket help

So I took out the Z from storage and noticed it was smoking a lot from my catch can breather firstly, so decided to take it all apart and removed VC's and found a good amount of oil in the spark plug tubes mostly passenger side. I think it's the spark plug tube seals as I have no exhaust smoke. Can this also be causes the excess smoke from my breather on my can???

Sleeper_Z 04-19-2016 10:42 AM

Whats the most "UPDATED" method to fix these leaky tube seals?

HRMoneyPit 04-19-2016 01:41 PM

Buy new valve covers is the only way I trust it and even then I'll have to do it again in the future. Nissan made some good money off me fixing that problem

Then to make it even better. I still have that odd step/misfire when cold. I'm pretty sure it's one of the coils

Sleeper_Z 04-19-2016 07:52 PM

^Thats what I was afraid of... Only to have the same problem down the road...

God350Zilla 04-19-2016 08:07 PM

You can get new O Rings from PartsGeek and replace them. It does involve a 1 7/8" hole saw to cut the old O Rings out of the valve covers. The baffle plate will now no longer hold the O Ring in place so you have to put silicon on the O Ring and press in place. Let the silicon dry and then reinstall the valve cover. O Rings cost 16 to 18 dollars, better than 200-300 dollars for new valve covers. Hey it's your money but for a minor bit of work it is worth the savings to me.
Cheers William

God350Zilla 04-20-2016 04:54 AM

It has been pointed out that this fix was tried and failed in the past. There was a reason the baffle was glued firmly in place to hold the O Rings. The silicon will not glue the O Rings firmly in place and this fix will fail. On the other hand the fix is a good idea just use the right glue and clamps and the sucker will never come back off , a one time fix though.

rustyschopshop 04-20-2016 06:14 PM

dorman makes valve covers now, check out rockauto or your favorite parts store. Or if you are more inclined to oem try a vendor or dealer depending on the discounts you find.

Total D 04-28-2016 02:43 PM

Might be a little more than you want to spend but there's some billet valve covers being made for the VQ now. Might be worth looking into.

Sleeper_Z 04-28-2016 03:23 PM

^I wouldn't mind actually so that I dont have to worry about this happening again. Most of us for years been wanting this for a long time... Who is making them??

Total D 04-28-2016 09:21 PM

Company called SuckerPunch Motorsports. I posted the pics in another thread in this section of what they looked like.