Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Billet Valve Covers for VQ35

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2016, 09:55 AM
rustyschopshop

Received 373 Likes on 279 Posts

Originally Posted by Swaglife81
Definitely overpriced. I understand all these companies have to make money somehow. But the past 10-15 years aftermarket prices on everything has doubled, tripled, quadrupled and it isn't needed. Anything even simple differential assembly. I remember I bought a 8.8 31 spline eaton LSD for $200 new in 2005. I don't even want to price a LSD now. Billet is a great lightweight strong material, love the stuff. Wished we had more manufacturers for interior pieces like the the GM/Ford guys have.
There has to be a great demand to get cost down, R&D is not cheap! Businesses do need to be able to recoup their costs. Guarantee if there were 100 vq35 owners out there that would jump on a group buy the price would come way down. Another effect of cost now, cost of metals have gone way up. I was looking to build my own aluminum version of a zspeed/rarejdm undershield, Just the materials would have been well over 100$.
Old 10-24-2016, 12:13 PM
Total D

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by rustyschopshop
Wow they are gonna be beautiful. Definitely not gonna be a weight reduction mod. Planning on running an internal baffle on these for the pcv system?
No, they are not for weight savings. However, not having to buy new covers because of seals will be nice, along with true -10AN ports. the covers are left open, so no PVC, other than a good vented catch can setup, which is really all you need.

Originally Posted by dikspiel
Beautiful, would love to run these.
Get you a set then man. They will definitely make people talk when you pop your hood.

Originally Posted by bmccann101
yep, hes been after me on these for awhile.. might do this at one point as well.
I guess he knows how well the covers will the compliment your Z. I mean, one more piece of eye candy under the hood never hurt anyone

definitely would fit your build, I think it would add more depth in your engine bay.
Agreed

Originally Posted by samsniss350z
i love these, they're motoring ****.
I think so as well!!

Originally Posted by nizmo_0385
beauti****inful
Right!!

Originally Posted by rcdash
Let us know how the test unit functions... if it seals well, I'm in for a unit.
I'm positive they will have outstanding results. The gasket fits like stock and the tube seals should fit the same. It wont ship unless it does. I would get in on it now if there is any room left on the GB. Check SPMS

Definitely overpriced. I understand all these companies have to make money somehow. But the past 10-15 years aftermarket prices on everything has doubled, tripled, quadrupled and it isn't needed. Anything even simple differential assembly. I remember I bought a 8.8 31 spline eaton LSD for $200 new in 2005. I don't even want to price a LSD now. Billet is a great lightweight strong material, love the stuff. Wished we had more manufacturers for interior pieces like the the GM/Ford guys have.
I wouldn't say it's over priced. It's priced according to demand though. Everything has a value to the end user. Some people think Apple is over priced, however look how many people buy the new Apple*insert model*, when the new one drops. I'm not saying SPMS is Apple, just stating supply and demand. More people willing to buy, the price generally goes down a good bit. We are not in the American Domestic Market unfortunately, so there's not a lot of people buying, same with turbo'supercharger kits, etc.

There has to be a great demand to get cost down, R&D is not cheap! Businesses do need to be able to recoup their costs. Guarantee if there were 100 vq35 owners out there that would jump on a group buy the price would come way down. Another effect of cost now, cost of metals have gone way up. I was looking to build my own aluminum version of a zspeed/rarejdm undershield, Just the materials would have been well over 100$.
I basically said the same thing above, but you hit the nail on the square in the head.

As soon as I see more pics posted, I'll update the thread.
The following users liked this post:
rustyschopshop (10-24-2016)
Old 10-27-2016, 10:10 AM
Total D

Speaking of... Interior is 90% done, then the exterior of the covers will be finished. Getting closer to seeing these done.

rustyschopshop (10-27-2016)
Old 11-01-2016, 10:00 AM
canadarob

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

WOW! Very beautiful work!
I can see tons of RnD was put into these!

As for the people saying the cost is overpriced...... Have you seen the cost of raw aluminium? You do know the CNC doesnt run itself right? Also, the cost of RnD is enormous. Someone just didnt 3d scan the stock valve covers and click "print"...

Finally I dont think people realise the cost of a CNC that can run on a piece of work that size!

OP, im sure the Serious people wont hesitate about the cost! I know I would if I was still going the VQ direction
The following 2 users liked this post by canadarob:
rustyschopshop (11-01-2016), Total D (11-09-2016)
Old 11-05-2016, 11:25 AM
Swaglife81

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Seeing these somewhat motivated me for a cheaper prettier valve cover. So I did this.

Not the best pic, nor billet.

Right after clear coat. Night pic, hope they aren't to big, uploading from my phone
Old 11-05-2016, 12:25 PM
rustyschopshop

Seeing these somewhat motivated me for a cheaper prettier valve cover. So I did this.

Not the best pic, nor billet.

Right after clear coat. Night pic, hope they aren't to big, uploading from my phone
I just recently did the same with my valve covers, If I didn't have to rebuild my engine and pay for surgery I would jump on these.
Old 11-06-2016, 11:45 AM
Swaglife81

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I feel you brother. If I didn't have to do the gaskets I wouldn't have even done it. I couldn't even imagine what a shop would charge for what I did the last 3-4 days.
Old 11-18-2016, 03:48 PM
Total D

Interior of valve cover almost finished...Will have enough clearance to accommodate JWT C12 high lift cams.
rustyschopshop (11-20-2016)
Old 11-20-2016, 04:51 PM
rustyschopshop

Originally Posted by Total D

Interior of valve cover almost finished...Will have enough clearance to accommodate JWT C12 high lift cams.
Glad to hear you are making these to accommodate the largest cams on the market. True R&D here!! One small feature that I bet most companies would not have thought of. Was just recently reading about modifying stock covers for the c12 cam install. Hope you guys get some sales on these
Old 11-21-2016, 03:40 PM
Total D

Glad to hear you are making these to accommodate the largest cams on the market. True R&D here!! One small feature that I bet most companies would not have thought of. Was just recently reading about modifying stock covers for the c12 cam install. Hope you guys get some sales on these
Thanks bud, yeah, I hope the sales are good on them as well. A lot of time was put in these, so getting them done right and on the market will be the moment of truth.

I think it was a good thing to do as well, in regards for cam clearances. That way, the end user doesn't have to do any modifications to make the covers work.

I'll be excited to see these on some motors. Hopefully that is real soon.
rustyschopshop (11-22-2016)
Old 01-18-2017, 07:10 PM
Vq.turbo.DremZ

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Any updates on this Total?
Old 01-19-2017, 05:59 AM
Total D

Originally Posted by Vq.turbo.DremZ
Any updates on this Total?
Last I checked, they are almost done, just need the mounting holes and exterior completed. I'm waiting just like you guys!
Old 01-19-2017, 07:36 AM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Not really into facebook. Any other way to order? Not listed on their website. I do see their billet oil pump for the VQ! That is too much trouble to change now, but the valve covers I can manage. :-)
Old 01-19-2017, 08:27 AM
onebentvalve

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm sorry but you'r extremely incorrect. For American CNC Machined parts they are priced more than fairly. I know because I am an American CNC machinist.
The following 2 users liked this post by onebentvalve:
Total D (01-20-2017), Tran251 (09-23-2019)
Old 01-19-2017, 01:40 PM
Vq.turbo.DremZ

Not really into facebook. Any other way to order? Not listed on their website. I do see their billet oil pump for the VQ! That is too much trouble to change now, but the valve covers I can manage. :-)
I do not see any pre-orders or anything either. Reach them directly i suppose - is that how you did it Total?
Old 01-20-2017, 08:00 AM
Total D

Jeremiah@insert website.com would be the best way to reach him, if you don't have Facebook or IG. Their pump was tested at 8600rpms at 6 bar btw. Race team in Denmark is running them. Just a little FYI.

Originally Posted by onebentvalve
I'm sorry but you'r extremely incorrect. For American CNC Machined parts they are priced more than fairly. I know because I am an American CNC machinist.
Couldn't have said it any better man. People don't understand the process and what all goes into getting something made. I know there are a few that do, but it's not a draw pic, shake a magic wand and bam we got parts haha.

I do not see any pre-orders or anything either. Reach them directly i suppose - is that how you did it Total?
It was done on FB, in all the 350z pages. However as stated about, that would be the best way to get in contact with theme.

It was $1250 plus shipoing, half up front and rest due when ready to ship.
Old 01-25-2017, 03:22 PM
Vq.turbo.DremZ

Got in touch with them via instagram and I'm on the list for a set. He mentioned it was mid process on the CNC and there a re few unspoken for sets for the pre-order run.
Old 01-25-2017, 07:47 PM
Total D

Got in touch with them via instagram and I'm on the list for a set. He mentioned it was mid process on the CNC and there a re few unspoken for sets for the pre-order run.
Who did you talk to by chance? Did you have to leave a deposit?
Old 01-26-2017, 07:52 AM
Vq.turbo.DremZ

I'm not sure TBH and I did not have to leave a deposit. He will reach out for a deposit once its closer to completion. Maybe i'm not part of the beta test group I was quoted slightly more though - excited either way.
Old 09-16-2019, 11:21 AM
imkindafkedup

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any information on how who I can contact to go about ordering these?
Total D (09-16-2019)

Quick Reply: Billet Valve Covers for VQ35