Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Number 4 cylinder won't fire and I tried everything

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2017, 02:24 PM
Hayden Winborn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Number 4 cylinder won't fire and I tried everything

Ok, so the number 4 cylinder won't fire and I know this because the engine sounds inherently unbalanced (like a boxer engine) the one exaust header isn't as hot as 2 and 6 and, if you unplug the coil pack it doesn't change how it runs at all...
I know it's not the following
A. Coils, I swaped them around and the problem stayed
B. Spark plugs, I replaced, and swaped, and look it out and put it into the coil and you can see it arcing...
C. Injectors, I switched 2 and 4 and again no difference

And it has good compression btw...

Please, please help, I have never had this much trouble diagnosing a car!!
Old 02-28-2017, 11:28 AM
TT03Z

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

If your sure compression is good i would look into wiring. The coils are a 3 wire system meaning there will be a constant 12v power and ground then there should be a signal wire for the coil to fire. Im guessing you have a power ground or signal issue to that coil. Check the harness connectors and look for loose or damaged pins/wires. If that all checks out then there could be a bad coil driver in the ECU. This is pretty rare but could happen. Good luck.
Old 03-06-2017, 07:56 AM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Received 1,282 Likes on 1,007 Posts

Are you 100% sure that the coils 4 and coil 6 wiring is installed correctly...when you look at the loom if you re-install them logically they are backwards...I would suggest labeling all those wires
Old 03-21-2017, 10:20 AM
TT03Z

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

Did you figure this out? if so you can stop reading. If not There is another possibility... The ignition coil condensers have dealt a few people problems in the past. But usually when the condensers go bad it will fry/melt the ignition coils. It is a 2 wire capacitor that is taped up in the main engine harness on the ground side wires of the ignition coils.