Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Has anyone tried to fabricate their own engine parts?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2017, 05:12 AM
lesavntura

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has anyone tried to fabricate their own engine parts?

it may seem like a dumb question, but has anyone in the forum tried to fabricate their own engine parts in a CNC milling machine? like for example the cylinder heads, im asking this because im planning to do an engine rebuild in my VQ35DE and i have access to an industrial CNC milling machine in my university i just would only need to buy the material, but i would like to know if someone has done it succesfully already
Old 06-22-2017, 05:26 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,290 Likes on 894 Posts

Welcome, and dumb questions are what we handle daily around here. Having access to a CNC machine and material is only part of the equation for building parts. You'd need access to factory CAD specs and detailed production steps. Nobody here has the time or resources to reverse engineer anything as complex as a cylinder heads.

If you're planning to do a rebuild of your VQ35DE, parts are readily available and at a fraction of the cost of milling new ones. Maybe in 25 years that won't be true, but it sure is the case in 2017.
Old 06-22-2017, 08:20 AM
iideadeyeii

Received 441 Likes on 357 Posts

Billet block...yes. Billet head...eh not so much
Old 06-22-2017, 09:20 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,290 Likes on 894 Posts

Originally Posted by iideadeyeii
Billet block...yes. Billet head...eh not so much
Yes, and even a billet block needs CAD/CAM data to manufacture. Only a specialty company willing to invest in research and tooling in multiple units could afford to offer such items. And even then, those blocks are pricey!
Old 06-22-2017, 10:28 AM
iideadeyeii

Received 441 Likes on 357 Posts

Can't you just like stick a fresh stock block on the "table" and have it scanned? Honestly...I have no idea how it works
Old 06-22-2017, 10:34 AM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Received 1,282 Likes on 1,007 Posts

I fabricate a bunch of engine parts...did you see my oil filter bracket? or my battery basket? watch out for my sick cup holder coming up next!

All joking aside, member TotalD (sucker punch motor sports) has milled some pretty sweet stuff!

Last edited by bealljk; 06-22-2017 at 10:36 AM.
Old 06-22-2017, 11:14 AM
raygun

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by iideadeyeii
Can't you just like stick a fresh stock block on the "table" and have it scanned? Honestly...I have no idea how it works
"Scanning" a non-convex shape with the sort of resolution needed to build a SolidWorks or other CNC-friendly model is non-trivial, and requires special (and expensive) equipment and expertise.

There's no way it would be cost-effective to produce your own block or heads for a one-off. When you're talking about tapered bores, tapping spots for all the sensors, etc... an LS swap would be cheaper and more reliable - as in, the engine will probably actually start.

Now, as an engineer, I encourage the OP to try is hand at making something simpler, like a 1 or 2-cylinder four-cycle carb'd engine. THAT is freaking complicated, but an order of magnitude simpler than what he's proposing.