Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

350z 1st gear notchy and bucking

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2017, 11:07 AM
Edneil Sundar

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 350z 1st gear notchy and bucking

Hey guys so I recently just picked up the 07 Z and it needed a slave cylinder right away, replaced it along with a jwt hd combo kit and I'm not sure if it's causing the problem. It also has a short shifter installed. And I did do the clutch adjustment but kept it close to oem adjustment because read going lower can screw it up (6.5" off the floor board slightly higher than brake pedal) has anyone had any problems going lower than brake pedal or exactly equal? If not how many years/miles?

Sometimes at a stop 1st gear is hard to slide in but if I go from 2nd to 1st when stopped it will slide in smooth. I changed the fluid with the specialized redline gear oil and still the same.

Shifting into 5th is also kinda a pain and going from 6th to 5th without rev matching it will grind. I looked at the guide plate and since it's a short shifter it doesn't use the oem guide plate that sometimes needs to be adjusted.

Also is it normal with the light weight flywheel that the car tends to buck if u try to engage under 1k slowly? 1300 to 1500 is kinda high to me but it's the only way I can take off smooth.

Sorry for so many questions, didn't want to make more threads about it
​​​​
Old 07-09-2017, 05:32 PM
dcains

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts

Sounds like your clutch isn't fully disengaging. Check the adjustment and bleed of the hydraulics. A shorter shifter will also require you to be more precise with your movements and timing, and require more effort (remember high school physics?). Yes, a lighter flywheel will cause some of the issues you decsribed, so use some more revs. You can't expect to get the car moving smoothly without using some revs and the proper timing.
Old 07-09-2017, 06:02 PM
Edneil Sundar

Thanks for the help, I went and adjusted the clutch pedal a bit lower hopefully everything is better now will test in the morning.
Old 07-14-2017, 06:17 PM
Edneil Sundar

Adjusted the pedal lower almost even with brake pedal and I still feel a bit resistance going to 1st. I have 5th gear grind if trying to shift quick and reverse takes about 6 tries before fully going in...