Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Car starts 1st thing in the morning but doesnt want to start the 2nd time

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2017, 02:28 PM
GerritSA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car starts 1st thing in the morning but doesnt want to start the 2nd time

I guys.i am new here.
I just bought a 2007 350z.the problem I got with it is will start up fine in the mornings.but when I turn it of the car won' start again.if I go for a drive on the 1st start then the car will die when slowing down.
the only way to get it going again is to remove the fuel pump relay crank it a few time the place the relay back.then it' start up fine again
Old 12-20-2017, 10:29 AM
Atreyu'z 350

Received 262 Likes on 228 Posts

Welcome.. That could be a number of things. How many miles are on it? What mods do you have, if any? That fuel pump relay 'trick' works because it's clearing the combustion chamber of excess fuel, which could be fouling your plugs. I would pull your plugs to see how fouled up/wet they are.. Do you smell fuel while you're trying to start it? Is it throwing any codes?
Old 12-20-2017, 10:11 PM
GerritSA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Atreyu'z 350
Welcome.. That could be a number of things. How many miles are on it? What mods do you have, if any? That fuel pump relay 'trick' works because it's clearing the combustion chamber of excess fuel, which could be fouling your plugs. I would pull your plugs to see how fouled up/wet they are.. Do you smell fuel while you're trying to start it? Is it throwing any codes?
Thanks
It has 130k on ( 201000km ) ,And when i bought it had no mods but had this problem,so was told it could be blocked cats what i have changed.The previous owner that i bought it from told me that it overheated and he got it repired but then after that the car started doing this,i have gotten to a piont where i can start the car a few times with no problem but when i drive it then it will stall at the stop and then i will have to do the relay trick.And the car is throwing no codes at the moment.
Will remove the spark plugs in the next few days and let you know if they are wet.
Thanks for the help
Old 12-21-2017, 05:54 AM
Atreyu'z 350

Received 262 Likes on 228 Posts

Ok.. I would still hook it up to an OBD II scanner to check for pending codes. I don't know what kind of auto stores you guys have down there in South Africa, but here in the states we have a number of auto stores(Advance Auto, Auto Zone, NAPA, and National Auto for example) that will scan the car for free with their OBD II scanners.

I also asked if you smell fuel while you're trying to start it, on occasions that it DOESN'T start? How did the PO(previous owner) describe how he fixed the overheating problem?.. Because if the heads warped enough to the point to where they allowed coolant into the combustion chamber and down through the cats, that event alone could cause damage to your cats. A blocked cat wouldn't cause this, and would 'typically' throw a code for that for the downstream O2 sensor on that bank. But yes, check your plugs and let us know and we'll go from there.
Old 12-21-2017, 10:10 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,283 Likes on 1,645 Posts

Throttle body reset, mine had the same issue for a year or so.