MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion

MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion (https://my350z.com/forum/)
-   Engine & Drivetrain (https://my350z.com/forum/engine-and-drivetrain-50/)
-   -   Ticking/Tapping Engine noise Need Help! (https://my350z.com/forum/engine-and-drivetrain/620380-ticking-tapping-engine-noise-need-help.html)

Doneat313 09-08-2018 11:13 PM

Ticking/Tapping Engine noise Need Help!

I have a 2006 350z rev up engine and not too long ago my coolant system when bad. I changed the radiator because it had a hole and the fans because they went bad oh and I changed the thermostat and water pump the thermostat with a oem one but not the water pump. A day later I realized that my engine was making a ticking noise/tapping noise. The noise goes away when I rev up/drive but when it idles it makes the noise. The sound seems to come from the valve cover in the back closer to the windshield. I can take it to a shop but it will cost me $400 just to have the engine open and look for the problem. I’m 19 years old in college so $400 is a lot to me. Could anyone help me figure this out?

bealljk 09-09-2018 08:05 AM

Doneat ... a few things I want to make sure are covered

Who did your radiator/fans/thermo/water pump? Are you 1000% the coolant system is bled properly? does your car warm-up and run at a normal temperature?

From my experience our engines have a little tick at lower rpms - so that doesnt surprise me - can you upload a video of your car??

Are you changing your engine oil out per the owners manual? what oil weight are you using? You may want to flush your engine oil and/or run your engine oil on a shorter duration over the next few changes.

I wouldnt automatically pay a shop to get the engine out to diagnose quite yet.

Heres how mine sounds:

Doneat313 09-09-2018 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by bealljk (Post 10971342)
Doneat ... a few things I want to make sure are covered

Who did your radiator/fans/thermo/water pump? Are you 1000% the coolant system is bled properly? does your car warm-up and run at a normal temperature?

From my experience our engines have a little tick at lower rpms - so that doesnt surprise me - can you upload a video of your car??

Are you changing your engine oil out per the owners manual? what oil weight are you using? You may want to flush your engine oil and/or run your engine oil on a shorter duration over the next few changes.

I wouldnt automatically pay a shop to get the engine out to diagnose quite yet.

Heres how mine sounds:
https://youtu.be/VU4rMFq0Bzc

the work was done by a mechanic that my parents know. I don’t know if the coolant system was bled properly. Car warms up just fine but only over heats when ac is on. I’m guessing it’s because I have a advanced auto zone water pump in it. I am going to put the oem water pump in soon. I change my oil every 2,000 miles. Also I use 5w30 full synthetic oil

here is the video of the engine noise

bealljk 09-09-2018 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by Doneat313 (Post 10971353)
the work was done by a mechanic that my parents know. I don’t know if the coolant system was bled properly. Car warms up just fine but only over heats when ac is on. I’m guessing it’s because I have a advanced auto zone water pump in it. I am going to put the oem water pump in soon. I change my oil every 2,000 miles. Also I use 5w30 full synthetic oil

probably not the fault of the water pump if the engine doesnt overheat during normal driving but does overheat when the AC is on. Take the car back as soon as you can to the mechanic who did the coolant work and ask them to re-bleed the system. These engines are difficult to bleed and take multiple attempts. Do not let the engine overhead - it'll warp the heads, leak coolant into the engine and possible damage the block.

the tick sounds relatively severe - I would start saving up cash, work some more hours, sell some stuff to brace yourself for some headwork/engine rebuild.

WTFMike 09-09-2018 03:39 PM

OP, that doesn't sound good. Also, it appears that you put your home address in your location. You may want to edit that to just have your city or state...

Mukrat 09-10-2018 07:26 AM

It sounds like a Diesel motor!!

Cracka350 09-14-2018 05:10 AM

^^^^^^^^^

Yeah man. That really doesnt sound healthy. You need to start looking at options for what you can do as a college student because there's little chance that this will be a cheap fix.

Side note, we all need to develop a better format for the "running engine video" they're pretty vague at best. Granted the comparison on this thread helps... Maybe that's the answer.

ChildishhZ 01-26-2021 06:33 AM

Originally Posted by Doneat313 (Post 10971353)

here is the video of the engine noise
https://youtu.be/HdBMBnIaqNY

Were you able to find out what it is? I have a similar noise in mine but I read that it could be the fuel damper / Fuel Pressure Regulator.

Any help would be greatly appreciated