MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion

MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion (https://my350z.com/forum/)
-   Engine & Drivetrain (https://my350z.com/forum/engine-and-drivetrain-50/)
-   -   Where to buy valve covers (https://my350z.com/forum/engine-and-drivetrain/622051-where-to-buy-valve-covers.html)

mcubed45 06-04-2019 08:33 PM

Where to buy valve covers

Hi guys

Where do you guys recommend buying replacement valve covers from (and what brand)? My gasket is leaking and I had a bit of oil in my spark plug wells when I was changing plugs/coilpacks a little while ago, so I figured I should just replace the valve covers along with the gasket.

Is there any particular brand to go with? There's a pretty wide range of prices on rockauto/amazon/etc

Thannks!

813_350Z 06-04-2019 10:42 PM

Are you wanting full valve covers, or just the gaskets?

If you are just wanting the gaskets you can try https://www.courtesyparts.com/. They're OEM Nissan. I don't believe anyone sells them with the seals for the spark plug wells, but I sealed mine with an RTV gasket maker. It was $30 for the gaskets from Courtesy Parts ($13 for one side, $16 for other) plus a few dollars for the RTV. Currently at 45k miles since and holding strong. Just make sure you clean the surface VERY thoroughly and let it cure fully.

Unless your valve covers are warped then I don't see the need to replace them as they run several hundred dollars. Just make sure to get all of the old gasket out and clean the surface thoroughly. If they are warped then you have a much more severe problem.

Feel free to PM if you have questions.

mcubed45 06-05-2019 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by 813_350Z (Post 10994318)
Are you wanting full valve covers, or just the gaskets?

If you are just wanting the gaskets you can try https://www.courtesyparts.com/. They're OEM Nissan. I don't believe anyone sells them with the seals for the spark plug wells, but I sealed mine with an RTV gasket maker. It was $30 for the gaskets from Courtesy Parts ($13 for one side, $16 for other) plus a few dollars for the RTV. Currently at 45k miles since and holding strong. Just make sure you clean the surface VERY thoroughly and let it cure fully.

Unless your valve covers are warped then I don't see the need to replace them as they run several hundred dollars. Just make sure to get all of the old gasket out and clean the surface thoroughly. If they are warped then you have a much more severe problem.

Feel free to PM if you have questions.

The spark plugs seals are part of the valve cover and can't be replaced without hacking it up. From what I've read, the only permanent fix once the spark plug wells are leaking is to replace the entire valve cover. Because of all the work involved in accessing that valve covers, I'd rather just spend the extra money for a permanent fix.

813_350Z 06-05-2019 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by mcubed45 (Post 10994365)
The spark plugs seals are part of the valve cover and can't be replaced without hacking it up. From what I've read, the only permanent fix once the spark plug wells are leaking is to replace the entire valve cover. Because of all the work involved in accessing that valve covers, I'd rather just spend the extra money for a permanent fix.

Not always. I've done the covers on 3 Zs other than my own and they have just popped out.

But if you're insisting on changing the covers too, then you can check into that link I posted. Personally, all I would care for is that they were OEM.

rustyschopshop 06-05-2019 12:43 PM

in order to change the spark plug tube seals if you can find the correct seals to use, you have to cut out the oil baffle on the bottom of the valve cover at each spark plug hole to change seals. If you know of something different please show us. This has been talked about many times over the years.
There are non oem valve covers that you can get from rock auto but not sure how the built in spark plug tube seals last compared to oem.

mcubed45 06-06-2019 03:33 AM

Originally Posted by rustyschopshop (Post 10994375)
in order to change the spark plug tube seals if you can find the correct seals to use, you have to cut out the oil baffle on the bottom of the valve cover at each spark plug hole to change seals. If you know of something different please show us. This has been talked about many times over the years.
There are non oem valve covers that you can get from rock auto but not sure how the built in spark plug tube seals last compared to oem.

Ya I'd hate to waste money on non-oem if they end up leaking again...

eZg 06-07-2019 05:42 AM

Z1 Motorsports

813_350Z 06-09-2019 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by rustyschopshop (Post 10994375)

:icon32:

My apologies, folks. The error on my part was that I was thinking you were talking about the outer valve cover gasket, not the tube seals. That's what 46 hours of no sleep will do to you.

OP, my only concern is this. Your valve covers now are, I assume, OEM. They are leaking. This is common with our vehicle. Not sure how many miles are on your Z, but eventually your new valve covers will leak as well depending on how hard you beat your car.

Personally, I have had luck just replacing the outer gasket, which can be serviced, and putting RTV on the plug seals. I'm currently at 45k miles and no oil. Ultimately, it is your Z and your choice.

Has anyone ever tried this with any luck? I was considering if it my tubes ever started leaking again.

https://my350z.com/forum/maintenance...ransplant.html

mcubed45 06-11-2019 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by 813_350Z (Post 10994554)
:icon32:

My apologies, folks. The error on my part was that I was thinking you were talking about the outer valve cover gasket, not the tube seals. That's what 46 hours of no sleep will do to you.

OP, my only concern is this. Your valve covers now are, I assume, OEM. They are leaking. This is common with our vehicle. Not sure how many miles are on your Z, but eventually your new valve covers will leak as well depending on how hard you beat your car.

Personally, I have had luck just replacing the outer gasket, which can be serviced, and putting RTV on the plug seals. I'm currently at 45k miles and no oil. Ultimately, it is your Z and your choice.

Has anyone ever tried this with any luck? I was considering if it my tubes ever started leaking again.

https://my350z.com/forum/maintenance...ransplant.html

I'm at 100k and I only started leaking oil around the valve cover in the past year or so. Replaced all coilpacks recently and found a little oil in the wells. I'm ok paying for OEM if it'll get me another 100k. There's some pretty terrible reviews for the 3rd party ones on amazon and I haven't found any info on the ones on rockauto. I think I'll just order OEM from czp or z1.

Z33Garage 06-12-2019 03:52 PM

Lengthy video but you can reseal your own valve covers. Ive been resealing them for about 8 cars now without any issues. Mine have been sealed for 5 years and zero leaks.
I used a hole saw to carefully cut open the diameter of the seal and then pop it out. I used about 3 cans of brake clean to make sure everything was spotless and I RTVd the seal from both the inside and the outside (inside the engine) with a bead of RTV.
I waited 24 hours for it to seal back up and installed it back.

Ive been doing the same thing for several cars and I hope one day someone eventually finds the seal part numbers that R&D uses so we can all benefit.

Good luck!