MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion

MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion (https://my350z.com/forum/)
-   Engine & Drivetrain (https://my350z.com/forum/engine-and-drivetrain-50/)
-   -   Does anyone have a NISMO LSD w/ no noise? (https://my350z.com/forum/engine-and-drivetrain/66361-does-anyone-have-a-nismo-lsd-w-no-noise.html)

zillinois 03-21-2004 11:54 AM

Does anyone have a NISMO LSD w/ no noise?

Do you have the NISMO LSD? Is it quiet?
If so, what are your recommendations for setup and break-in?

Are they all noisy? Or can someone recommend a different kind.. Kaaz or Cuzco. This is my next mod along with the ring and pinion and I would really prefer to keep the popcorn popping noises reserved for movie night. Thanks for any help.

Z1 Performance 03-21-2004 03:59 PM

Kazz I ahve yet to hear on a Z

I have the Cusco RS in my car, its quiet

have yet to hear a NISMO one

j's350z 03-22-2004 05:37 AM

I have the Nismo and have also driven one with the Kazz. They are both popcorn makers... I only have about 2000 miles on my Nismo and am not sure if it will get any quieter.. I think teh Kass and Cusco you can set to 40% lockup and that should be quiter than the Nismo which the lowest setting is 60%. The only thing is that you want to change the settings on the cusco or kass, you have to disassembly the whole thing and rearrange the plates. The Nismo one you can do by just pulling out the halfshaft and adjust it on the car.... And you are definately going to want more than 40% lockup if you are tracking the car.... Its not a mod for everyone because I believe they are all going to be kinda noisey, but if you are increasing the power and you want to get it down, they you have no choice... I have about 270 rear HP now on my base car(no LSD) and before the Nismo LSD when I would hit 2nd gear, I would just light up the tires like i was in 1st. Now with the Nismo LSD, IT just chirps and squats.....
Jason
www.racemrc.com

Phatmitzu 03-22-2004 06:16 AM

Originally posted by j's350z
...I have about 270 rear HP now on my base car...
With only the mods in your sig??

j's350z 03-22-2004 08:19 AM

Yup,
Borla TD, Injen, Pulley, and our project SMT6 ECU... We are getting great numbers from the piggyback which many are aware of... Headers and Plenum are next and then back to the dyno.. I am shooting for 300hp with only external bolt ons.... Feel free to email me if you have any questions, don't want to turn this thread.
Jason
jason@racemrc.com

Audito350Z 03-22-2004 08:45 AM

I have a NISMO lsd... it made noises for a few hundred miles. At about 500 miles, I changed the fluid to Redline 75w90 gear oil and almost all the popping sounds vanished.

About the only time it makes noise now is when I'm moving slow and turning, like driving up the parking garage ramp or turning into a parking spot.

Hope that helps,

PeteH

JRock 03-22-2004 10:17 AM

The stock 350Z above the base model comes with an LSD, it's just non-adjustable and a fairly low % lock-up, right?

Audito350Z 03-22-2004 11:19 AM

Correct.... The OEM rear differential is a Viscous Limited Slip Differential (except for the base which has an open differential). It is not adjustable and I'm not sure there is a way to define it's exact lockup percentage. It really depends on how much slip there is and how much of the viscous fluid is working.

zillinois 03-22-2004 03:20 PM

Much appreciated, thanks for the input guys. I guess I'll just have to learn to love it as I will be going twin turbo later this year.

KYO Z 01-12-2005 06:53 PM

I have a base 350Z and i thought the car didnt have an lsd at all. Can you please source that info for me. it would be appreciated. thanks

MO

sentry65 01-13-2005 07:46 AM

I have the nismo LSD

I tried doing figure 8's for about 20-25 minutes when I first got it to try ot break it in a little.

It still makes some noise. I changed to redline gear oil. I think the noise maybe was slightly less, but still there a little.

Actually for daily driving, it's not that bad. If you're going straight or turning 90 degrees it doesn't make all that much noise.

When it makes the most noise is 1st thing in the morning when it's cold and you're backing up in reverse slowly while turning. Then the car shutters a little.

It will occasionally make a random poping noise when you turn some corners.

If I was going to do it all over again I'd get the cusco RS or wait for the ATS carbon one.

Mine is set to 60%

It does make a HUGE difference in traction. In cornering and in straight line. The tail doesn't break loose as easily as before. Lot more confidence - especially with the 3.9 final drive and tilton. I don't think the car has fishtailed once since having it.

An interesting note though is sometimes taking corners feels like the balance of the car is upset just a little cause the car will shutter slightly - it isn't just popping. I think this was confirmed in an article I read somewhere where there were 3 Z's. One had the nismo LSD and one didn't. The one that didn't have it actually pulled a higher number on the skidpad because the balance of the car wasn't upset as fast.

I think the stock LSD is around 35% or so

sentry65 01-13-2005 02:53 PM

for reference,
here's that article on how the nismo LSD lost some lateral grip on the skidplate

http://www.sportcompactcarweb.com/ro...0405scc_nismo/

G3po 01-13-2005 05:00 PM

LSD

If you really want quiet in an LSD , wait for the Quaif.
Should be out really soon now .....tap.tap.tap goes my foot , as I wait patiently.

J Ritt 01-14-2005 01:49 PM

My Nismo LSD made a TON of noise when I first got it, even when it was set at the mildest setting. I did all of the recommended break-in, etc...nothing changed.

Per Unitech Racing's recommendation, I switched diff fluid to Redline 75W90 with the friction modifier. The difference is night and day. It still isn't perfectly smooth, but it is a tremendous improvement. You only need two bottles of this fluid to do the change. I did it by myself in our shop...took me an hour tops. Just get a little hand pump at Pep Boys...drain the fluid out that comes with it, seal the drain plug, and pump it full of the Redline until it dribbles out of the fill hole...that's it. Just make sure that the car is up on stands (or lift) and level, so you know that you're filling it the right amount.

http://www.redlineoil.com/products_g...60&subcatID=20

Honestly, it's soooo much better with the Redline. Activation into a turn is smoother, and a LOT less noise and popping under all scernarios. It's completely liveable now, whereas I felt like crying the first time I drove it with the stock fluid. :cool:

G3po 01-14-2005 01:53 PM

LSD

Originally posted by J Ritt
My Nismo LSD made a TON of noise when I first got it, even when it was set at the mildest setting. I did all of the recommended break-in, etc...nothing changed.

Per Unitech Racing's recommendation, I switched diff fluid to Redline 75W90 with the friction modifier. The difference is night and day. It still isn't perfectly smooth, but it is a tremendous improvement. You only need two bottles of this fluid to do the change. I did it by myself in our shop...took me an hour tops. Just get a little hand pump at Pep Boys...drain the fluid out that comes with it, seal the drain plug, and pump it full of the Redline until it dribbles out of the fill hole...that's it. Just make sure that the car is up on stands (or lift) and level, so you know that you're filling it the right amount.

http://www.redlineoil.com/products_g...60&subcatID=20

Honestly, it's soooo much better with the Redline. Activation into a turn is smoother, and a LOT less noise and popping under all scernarios. It's completely liveable now, whereas I felt like crying the first time I drove it with the stock fluid. :cool:

Is you Nismo set to 60%?

Jason@Performance 01-14-2005 03:51 PM

High or low lock up the NISMO LSD is noisy. Especially with their fluid in it.

If you put regular LSD oil in there with a diff additive it is very quiet. It will still chunk on tight turning in parking lots for example.

G3po 01-14-2005 04:05 PM

LSD

Any idea if the Cusco RS at a similar setting would "chunk" less?

Z1 Performance 01-14-2005 04:38 PM

but lose traction with one wheel on the quaife and you're now pushing through the turn.

I have the Cusco in mine, its not been noisy since the day I got it. I do get a bit of a chunk when backing out of the driveway in the AM, but thats it. All I hear when entering a turn at say parking lot speed is the plates loading up...but no clunks of any kind.

I have the Castrol stuff in there now, about to order some Schaefers to try and quiet the ring and pinion down

sentry65 01-14-2005 06:59 PM

yeah I just want to say the noise isn't bad at all I rarely get a banging or clunk sound.

You can feel the car jitter as the wheels are locking up and one wheel does some slight skidding - which probably all performance LSD's will do. I guess that's the trade off on the handling. I still think it's a good trade off considering fishtailing is far worse than the car doing some slight chirping with the wheels locking

look at my mod list. I still have stock tires and even though I can loose traction in 1st gear and the tact will get pegged to redline, the LSD really helps me from losing control.

I still need wider tires and suspension though...

aalzuhair 01-14-2005 09:09 PM

I have the Cusco RS 1.5 way at 100% lockup and I have the Redline 75W90 with the friction modifier in it and I have no chunk or popping.

Before the Redline I had chunking when I turn at very low speed but no popping

Az