Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

diff & gearbox fluid and the friggen dealership (long)

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2004, 10:03 AM
mrZeee

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default diff & gearbox fluid and the friggen dealership (long)

OK...went to dealer for 7k oil change...figured it wouldn't be a bad idea to swap out my gearbox and diff fluid while I was at it...I wanted to use nissan factory gearbox fluid (to avoid warranty issues, read in factory service manual) and was thinking about using mobil 1 syn in the diff (although weight was different 75w 90 vs 80w 90) but if this would cause any issues I would again use factory fluid...well service manager thought I was crazy..said that people never change those fluids and have zero probs...that opening up diff. and gearbox could cause further problems....I did mention that I wanted to do gearbox beacuse of slight whine (which I beleive alot of us have had) and that maybe gearbox fluid change could also help prevent any tranny issues (which he said he never heard of) which I have read about (road and track long term test car) and seen of in here and other forums...any way am I nuts to want to change fluids at 7k...should I wait?? he said mobil syn in diff would void warranty...does that sound right?? any info you could provide would be great...not sure if I should talk to owner (who sold me the car) or just go to different dealership for another opinion...
Old 05-04-2004, 02:10 PM
Audito350Z

first: you need to find a new service center!

second: you probably don't need to change it now, 7k is not a lot of miles... 15k is a good time to change it.

third: you don't have to open the diff r the grabox... both have drainplugs specifically so that you can drain the old fluid... both also have fill openings so you can add new fluid... they are desinged to be replaced... nothing is going to happen if you drain the fluid and add new fluid.

fourth: if you put Mobil 1 Synth in there, how is he going to know??? once it's in there there's no way to tell what brand it is... you will not void your warranty. I have Redline 75w90 hypoid gear oil in my NISMO limited slip diff and it works wonders with the clutch-type diff, so I figure in the VLSD it will be awesome. I have not changed the fluid in my tranny, but I will before at the end of summer.... again I'll go with Redline fluids.

Hope that helps

PeteH
Old 05-04-2004, 03:25 PM
MonkeyBoy

I also recommed Redline for Tranny and Diff. www.redlineoil.com ... Use MTL for the tranny and 75W90 for the diff and you are set. Some people use a mixture of MTL and MT-90 for the tranny (I did in my first tranny) but I have found that straight MTL works a little better for the notchiness.
Old 05-04-2004, 03:26 PM
g356gear

wurd
Old 05-04-2004, 05:59 PM
Z CRUZN

Default Shows how different..........

dealer service depts. are......I changed my diff fluid @ 4k miles and the tech said that was a good idea. Changed (upon recommendation of reliable source) to Mobil 1 sunthetic gear oil with GM LS additive. Actually felt a difference in feel immediately - much less chatter noise - felt much smoother. Just my experience.... I have no issues with my '04 tranny so have left the tranny oil alone.
Old 05-04-2004, 09:50 PM
mrZeee

thanks...think I'll stick with the factory lube for the gearbox...do the synth in the diff and go find a better dealrship!
Old 05-04-2004, 10:14 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How messy of a job is it to change the tranny fluid? Is the fill plug and drain plug easy to get to? what I am in for if I so this myself?

Oh...can Jiffy Lube change manual tranny fliuds? I know they frequently do auto trans fluid changes..but those are easy becuase it has its own oil pan and a filler location in the engine compartment.

As you can see, I hate changing and handling petroleum products...too much danger of mess, disposal, cancer causing material on my hands...etc...
Old 05-04-2004, 10:58 PM
mrZeee

my concern is not getting my hands durrty...warranty issues are my concern...and @ssh*le service managers who think changing fluids can cause problems?!!?!!?
Old 05-04-2004, 11:14 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think you need a Performance Nissan MA location. Becuase of Jason and Jeff, the folks in Socal dont have to worry about things like this. I wish they could open up satellite locations all over the country!!! They are the most mod-friendly Nissan dealership in the country.,
Old 05-05-2004, 09:27 AM
mpowers

If you have you'r transmission replaced under warranty Nissan bulliten on the replacement has the dealer ship them a sample of the fluid. For what reason I do not know. They maybe looking at the type of fluid but more than likely looking for metal.