MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion

MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion (https://my350z.com/forum/)
-   Engine & Drivetrain (https://my350z.com/forum/engine-and-drivetrain-50/)
-   -   JWT flywheel chatter (https://my350z.com/forum/engine-and-drivetrain/77006-jwt-flywheel-chatter.html)

iron1mike_alpha 05-29-2004 06:06 PM

JWT flywheel chatter

Is there any way for me to minimize the chatter coming from this flywheel? Would an aftermarket clutch do it? If so, which one. Or would I need to replace the flywheel altogether with another one? If so, what would you recommend for best performance with minimal chatter and daily driveability?

jpc350 05-30-2004 08:32 AM

Re: JWT flywheel chatter

Originally posted by iron1mike_alpha
Is there any way for me to minimize the chatter coming from this flywheel? Would an aftermarket clutch do it? If so, which one. Or would I need to replace the flywheel altogether with another one? If so, what would you recommend for best performance with minimal chatter and daily driveability?
I would also like to know since I was planning to install one..

westpak 05-30-2004 08:53 AM

The only way to remove chatter is to go back to stock flywheel since it dampened, the chatter is not that bad only at low speed/low RPM once you get on it I don't hear it.

zcarver18 05-09-2011 01:42 PM

can you just buy the clutch and get the same performance or do you need the flywheel with it?

rdrfronty 05-09-2011 04:48 PM

Just thought I would through this in as a cross reference. I just installed the JWT lightweight flywheel on my vq40de, and it is totally silent. I was expecting some clatter after reading many threads on this forum, but I was pleasantly surprised to not find any.
Now the vq40 flywheel goes from a stock 38lbs to a JWT weight of 19lbs. And the JWT clutch & pressure plate is actually 4 lbs heavier than stock. Total weight of everything went from 58lbs to 43lbs, So going from the dual mass stock setup to JWT you have a net weight loss of 15lbs. I can only assume the still fairly heavy setup helps to minimize the chatter that the vq35 gets.
Sorry if this is too far off topic, but I felt it might be helpful to know that JWT can make a flywheel that doesn't chatter. So maybe they just decreased the weight too much on the Z's?

leo_giovani619 09-19-2011 01:04 AM

I just installed the JWT clutch/flywheel combo on my Z. The chatter is there. People ask me if something is wrong with my car and I jus say its the flywheel and people stil think is wrong with car. But we all know where the noise is coming from.

Spork 09-19-2011 03:03 AM

Originally Posted by zcarver18 (Post 9136687)
can you just buy the clutch and get the same performance or do you need the flywheel with it?

Different performance aspects.

Engine response = flywheel
Clutch grab = clutch

RENFRO 09-19-2011 05:57 AM

Get a louder exhaust.
Turn up your music.
Done and done.

djamps 09-19-2011 07:38 AM

Stock flywheel is the only way to minimize the noise. I run a stock flywheel with the JWT clutch, it is silent.

A-Town-Z 09-19-2011 07:57 AM

I happen to like flywheel chatter. I have the SPEC stage 1 clutch and flywheel on my HR, and the chatter is loud.

bmccann101 09-19-2011 10:37 AM

no, due to dual mass of OEM flywheel and single mass of JWT or any other aftermarket.

As everyone said, turn up radio more. Its not broken, its fine. To hell w other ppl thinking its broke.
Does your car look like a jalopy? well it probably isnt then.. so the little high school hookers can shine if they dont like it :)