Notices

Changing the Differential / Transmission Oil

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2013, 02:07 PM
myfirstzcar

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What did you put in the tranny?^

A lot of guys say to use oem trans fluid, but I use redline and it shifts much easier with that.
Old 04-06-2013, 07:20 PM
srsairbags

holy crap . . the torque spec for the diff is wrong in the first page . . at least for an 07 its the same as for the transmission about 25 ft lb
Old 04-10-2013, 12:02 AM
RawrXTC

Originally Posted by myfirstzcar
What did you put in the tranny?^

A lot of guys say to use oem trans fluid, but I use redline and it shifts much easier with that.
I used OEM fluid from Nissan. It shifts a lot easier than before I changed it. Going into first doesn't require me to be at a dead stop anymore.
Old 04-20-2013, 08:27 AM
Edmonton 350z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just thought I'd add my experience. Changed the trans with the Nissan stuff, and the diff with Amsoil 75-90 GL5. Used this as 6 miserable months of the year it's cold winter here, and this car shares daily driver duties with another of mine. The shifts are noticeably notchier than before (don't think the fluids had been changed before). First gear seems harder to engage while rolling than before. Downshifts don't seem to want to slip into gear as easily. Will try something else in the diff next time.
Old 08-02-2013, 11:24 AM
taywan

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

^ so you wouldn't use Amsoil for the rear?? I was about to change mine but iffy if its not good? I was up between Lucas and Amsoil. guess mobile 1 wouldnt out of the option also. But did purchase some Amsoil already. Hmmm curious.
Old 08-05-2013, 07:28 AM
taywan

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My personal update.
~rear end~
AND you can just reuse the washers-not a bug deal at all. Unless you are that ****-feel free to spend am extra $5/washer from nissan if you feel. WILL need a pump for sure. there is too much in the way to use what normal squeeze tubes gear oil comes in. I personally used amsoil fluid. Auto zone: thread-on to the bottle was $8.99. H-freight was too far away and would be a waste of fuel. car is low and was little pain in *** to get up in air as always. Ha. Will do tranny next. I got some MTF gl-4 from Nissan but read a couple that uses Amsoil-which is what I was going to get. but hear on here to only use Nissan OEM so IDK??? Guess will just use Nissan fluid since I already purchased and got discounted anyways (thanks friends). These lube joints want to charge me $50-100 to use the pit or lift when I would supply my own fluid also. This bish will be up in the air soon here. thanks for the good thread OP.

Edit: I didn't do tranny while it was up BC I was in a rush to go out of town and didn't have the car up high enough for the creeper to go far enough under the car.

Last edited by taywan; 08-05-2013 at 07:30 AM.
Old 08-20-2013, 09:06 AM
kingdom

Just flushed my '05 MT @ 32,XXX miles and used nissan OEM fluid.

Shifts like butter now (only driven it once) will that go away quickly after a few drives or can i get used to this ???

also flushed the diff with mobil 1. Not sure how to tell a difference with that.

All in all it was very easy although also very messy because my pump gun sucks and sucking and drips everywhere.

Also noticed a smell but people say that happens when you spill some fluid on the exhaust, so hopefully that goes away soon. Next time I would cover up the exhaust.
Old 10-26-2013, 07:27 AM
allshownogo

I changed out my MTF and Rear Diff. Fluid yesterday. '07 Z with 59.5k miles.

Overall, both fluid changes were no harder than chaning the engine oil. Raising/leveling the car was the hardest part. I used Nissan genuine fluid for MTF, but Nissan gave me Pennzoil for the rear diff. I called around different dealerships and they all said Nissan sends them Pennzoil.

Most people are saying their rear diff. fluid comes out black. Mine came out a darker gold/honey color. I had build up on the drain plug, but the color surprised me.

Also, thanks Monsta for posting up DIY Instructions. I did notice you said to torque the tranny plugs between 23-29 ft-lbs and 55-61 ft-lbs for the rear diff. plugs. I did 25 ft-lbs for the tranny plugs, but 55 ft-lbs seems excessive for the rear, so I did 30 ft-lbs.

Did anyone else torque under what Monsta posted?
Old 10-26-2013, 07:30 AM
allshownogo

Originally Posted by srsairbags
holy crap . . the torque spec for the diff is wrong in the first page . . at least for an 07 its the same as for the transmission about 25 ft lb
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. Over 50 ft-lbs for the rear diff seemed too much. I did 30 ft-lbs for the rear diff and 25 ft-lbs for the tranny.
Old 10-26-2013, 10:29 AM
35ann05

So I changed my diff and tran fluid yesterday. I have a 05 35th anniversary edition. I had the stock fluids in there and I don't think that they were ever changed. Car has about 84k on it.
Went with royal purple max gear 75-90 In both diff and tran it's 6 speed manual. Before I had a wining noise about 80mph that is gone now. And maybe it's just me but I feel a difference in low end torque when pulling of line it just feels better. Also Before I had an issue where it was hard to shift when cold or hot. I can honestly say that I noticed the min I started driving a big diff in changing gears and how it feels. It's like its a new car very smooth shifting now and no noises when on interstate. I know from doing all the research on here it's hit or miss when changing the fluids u either notice improvement or u have issues.. I was afraid when I made the change it was gonna make shifting worse but it didn't. I even waited a day and about 100 miles to make sure it felt the same in morning when cold out. So my Exp with the royal purple has been great I'm glad I made the change.

Changing the Differential / Transmission Oil-image-4033076017.jpg
Old 10-26-2013, 06:50 PM
allshownogo

Originally Posted by 35ann05
So I changed my diff and tran fluid yesterday. I have a 05 35th anniversary edition. I had the stock fluids in there and I don't think that they were ever changed. Car has about 84k on it.
Went with royal purple max gear 75-90 In both diff and tran it's 6 speed manual. Before I had a wining noise about 80mph that is gone now. And maybe it's just me but I feel a difference in low end torque when pulling of line it just feels better. Also Before I had an issue where it was hard to shift when cold or hot. I can honestly say that I noticed the min I started driving a big diff in changing gears and how it feels. It's like its a new car very smooth shifting now and no noises when on interstate. I know from doing all the research on here it's hit or miss when changing the fluids u either notice improvement or u have issues.. I was afraid when I made the change it was gonna make shifting worse but it didn't. I even waited a day and about 100 miles to make sure it felt the same in morning when cold out. So my Exp with the royal purple has been great I'm glad I made the change.

Attachment 357422
Hopefully u used the gl4 for trans and gl5 for rear diff....

And u waited until 84k to change??
Old 10-26-2013, 08:39 PM
35ann05

Originally Posted by allshownogo
Hopefully u used the gl4 for trans and gl5 for rear diff....

And u waited until 84k to change??
I just got the car not to long ago not sure if the owner changed it before. I used the same max gear in both. Royal Purple says it meets specs for both gl-4/5 and the research I have done alot of people have used the same.. My plan was to try this first and if it felt bad shifting or anything I was gonna put the redline or factory fluid in. But it feels like a new car I never expected it to make such a big difference in the way it shifts.

""MaxGear Synthetic Gear Oil is formulated to improve the efficiency of rear end assemblies and manual transmissions. Virtually eliminates both gear and bearing wear. API GL4 / GL5 Certified.""
Old 10-27-2013, 12:28 PM
VQdriver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 35ann05
I just got the car not to long ago not sure if the owner changed it before. I used the same max gear in both. Royal Purple says it meets specs for both gl-4/5 and the research I have done alot of people have used the same.. My plan was to try this first and if it felt bad shifting or anything I was gonna put the redline or factory fluid in. But it feels like a new car I never expected it to make such a big difference in the way it shifts.

""MaxGear Synthetic Gear Oil is formulated to improve the efficiency of rear end assemblies and manual transmissions. Virtually eliminates both gear and bearing wear. API GL4 / GL5 Certified.""
I put that stuff in the rear diff and it made a very loud howling noise in freezing weather for the first mile or so of driving. It was instantly fixed as soon as I changed to conventional and inexpensive Castrol hypoy C 80W-90. For the very sensitive trans I would never use Royal Purple unless maybe the weather stayed at least 50deg F. Nevermind, I take that back. I would never use a Royal Purple product period lol.
Old 10-27-2013, 07:45 PM
35ann05

Originally Posted by VQdriver
I put that stuff in the rear diff and it made a very loud howling noise in freezing weather for the first mile or so of driving. It was instantly fixed as soon as I changed to conventional and inexpensive Castrol hypoy C 80W-90. For the very sensitive trans I would never use Royal Purple unless maybe the weather stayed at least 50deg F. Nevermind, I take that back. I would never use a Royal Purple product period lol.
I had the same noise around 70-80mph and when I changed the fluids it went away. Kinda sounded like whistle. I will prob change it anyway just cause hearing all the different opinions on if it's safe for the car. I don't want something to break In the long run if I can avoid it now.
Old 10-28-2013, 08:25 AM
allshownogo

Originally Posted by VQdriver
After I changed my fluids, everything still felt the same (i.e. the accleration, the shifting, etc.) and no new noises. but then again, i drive my car like a grandpa and even at 59k miles, the rear diff fluid was still dark gold and transparent....
Old 10-28-2013, 12:17 PM
VQdriver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by allshownogo
After I changed my fluids, everything still felt the same (i.e. the accleration, the shifting, etc.) and no new noises. but then again, i drive my car like a grandpa and even at 59k miles, the rear diff fluid was still dark gold and transparent....
Yep, the people from warmer climates can probably get away with using more varieties of oils like say MT-90 for instance. When it gets cold these cars get fussy. You know another car that's sensitive to transmission oil? The Mazdaspeed 3!! Mt-90 and 85 mixed in that car is no good. In fact, Mazda changed the viscosity spec on their later models to something thinner and the Redline website says MTL is now the oil of choice for that model. If you guys don't find a solution to your GL-4 woes, try using Ford Motorcraft full synthetic manual transmission fluid XT-M5-QS. It's a little bit thinner in viscosity at warm temps than a standard 90wt. It's considered unicorn blood by Mazda enthusiasts lol. It also costs a ton!

That being said I'd still use Redline MT-85 before trying Motorcraft in this particular car.
Old 11-23-2013, 05:31 PM
ogiehooker

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Remote diff filler

Originally Posted by Lucino
I regret so much that I didn't buy the suction gun. After I drained the trans oil I had a hard time filling it with just a tube and a air pump.... I ended up spilled oil all over the place so do your self a favor and get a suction gun.

I only drained about 3 quarts of trans fluid, was this right? The manual said four quarts.. did I leave another quart behind?

OR...make yourself (or have made) a remote diff filler as I did....It's the polished silver 90 degree necked pipe with chromed top in front of the water/meth tanks....
Attached Thumbnails Changing the Differential / Transmission Oil-water-methanol-battery-trunk-box-3.jpg   Changing the Differential / Transmission Oil-water-methanol-battery-box-90-percent-complete-nice.jpg  
Attached Images  
Old 11-27-2013, 08:16 AM
upx

I've got a 2004 350z Touring edition, 79K miles, Automatic, near Phoenix, AZ.
Sometimes (usually after starting, leaving my house) I hear grinding noises (coming from behind) during low speed (90 degree) turns under light acceleration (maybe I just can't hear it at high speeds or under heavy accel).

Is this the LSD ?
Will changing the oil help (has not been changed since I bought it at 69K miles, 3 yrs ago) ?
Will a change to synthetic oil be More Likely to help?
Old 12-26-2013, 06:18 PM
myfirstzcar

Originally Posted by upx

Is this the LSD ?
Will changing the oil help (has not been changed since I bought it at 69K miles, 3 yrs ago) ?
Will a change to synthetic oil be More Likely to help?
1: Maybe
2: Yes
3: No

Your stock lsd is a sealed unit with special oil in it and ordinary spider gears. I don't believe it's serviceable, at least not without removing the entire diff assembly.
Old 04-05-2014, 04:28 PM
bizarrosZ

Default First timer

Originally Posted by Monsta
Changing Diff/Trans Fluid.
I added a pic of the transmission because it almost the same procedure.

Tools Used
10mm Allen Wrench
Drain pan
Floor jack
Four jack stands or a lift.
Suction Pump/Gun. I bought mine from Advanced Auto for $10.
Harbor Freight has one for $4.99.

Rags
Replacement oil 75W90 about 2 quarts. About 4 quarts for transmission.
Two replacement crush washers.

Update:
Adding the requirements as stated in the 2003 Service Manual
Transmission API GL-4,Viscosity SAE 75W-85
Differential API GL-5, Viscosity SAE 80W-90

Procedure
1. Make sure wheels are blocked.
2. Raise and support car making sure that it is as level as possible.

NOTE: It is better to drain the fluid when it is warm so it flows easier.

3. Using 10mm allen wrench, loosen drain plug and allow diff to drain.
4. Wipe off excess oil from drain plug along with fine metal shavings. Remove old crush washer and install new washer.
5. After diff/trans is drained, reinstall drain plug. 23 - 28 ft-lbs for transmission; 55 - 61 ft-lbs for rear diff.
6. Use 10mm allen wrench to remove fill plug.
7. Remove old crush washer and install new washer onto the fill plug.

NOTE: To fill suction gun, I took off the top, pulled handle out of the gun and poured the oil into it. You could stick the hose into the bottle and suction it out but it wont pick up as much.

8. Using suction gun, fill diff/trans to lower level of fill plug and allow overflow of fluid to drain off.
9. Reinstall fill plug. 23 - 28 ft-lbs for transmission; 55 - 61 ft-lbs for rear diff.
10. Double-check all plugs for correct torque (DO NOT OVERTIGHTEN) and wipe off any excess oil.
11. Lower the car.

NOTE: Since you have the car raised it is a good time to change the engine oil, check your tires for feathering, check your exhaust for leaks and bottoming, check your fuel lines for damage and anything else that may look unusual under your car.

Hey guys my Z is leaking the transmission oil out of the gasket, so I'm gonna change that next weekend so for now I'm not gonna drive it.. I've done the oil changes on it but never the transmission fluid, is the process simple , I'm a newbie on this so just want to get advice before I end up messing it up. What would I need and what's the "differential" and what kind of transmissions fluid should I use? I have about 180k on my Z. Not a track car just an everyday driver.
Thanks in advance for any reply that can help me.

Quick Reply: Changing the Differential / Transmission Oil