MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion

MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion (https://my350z.com/forum/)
-   Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction (DIY) (https://my350z.com/forum/engine-drivetrain-and-forced-induction-diy-458/)
-   -   Oil Cooler Install (https://my350z.com/forum/engine-drivetrain-and-forced-induction-diy/180407-oil-cooler-install.html)

03performz 05-02-2006 06:38 AM

How necessary are the aftermarket oil coolers. Is the stock cooler hsit?

MoodDude 05-02-2006 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by Quamen
Just wondering about this. Since it was mentioned about changing your oil and draining the oil cooler is there any way that you can mount the oil cooler upside down so it drains downwards?

You can do this - but is not recommended since you will trap air in the oil cooler (heat exchanger). Air on the liquid side the Heat Exchanger is the worst enemy for loosing effeciency. You need the return side of the oil cooler to be at the high point. If you can find a oil cooler that the infeed is on the bottom and the return is on the top - that would achieve both goals! I haven't seen one yet.

MoodDude 05-02-2006 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by 03performz
How necessary are the aftermarket oil coolers. Is the stock cooler hsit?

Where is the stock oil cooler? As far as I know there isn't one - but I could be wrong?

Kolia 05-02-2006 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by MoodDude
Where is the stock oil cooler? As far as I know there isn't one - but I could be wrong?

We all have one.
It's sandwiched between the block and the oil filter.

350Zteve 05-02-2006 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by Quamen
Just wondering about this. Since it was mentioned about changing your oil and draining the oil cooler is there any way that you can mount the oil cooler upside down so it drains downwards?

The thing I dislike the most about the upside down setup would be that given the fact the cooler has drained, the oil pump now has to fill it up every startup before the engine will receive any pressure. This may only be a few more seconds, but that's a few additional seconds the bearings are spinning without oil.

dnguyent 05-03-2006 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by 350Zteve
The thing I dislike the most about the upside down setup would be that given the fact the cooler has drained, the oil pump now has to fill it up every startup before the engine will receive any pressure. This may only be a few more seconds, but that's a few additional seconds the bearings are spinning without oil.

I think that if you have a thermostatic sandwich plate installed, cold oil would bypass the cooler on startups. If your car is still hot, however, then I think it will take a second or two to get the system primed. Hopefully, there is still a thin film of oil on the bearings to get it through those couple seconds after cranking an already hot engine.

ReavTek 05-18-2006 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by 350Zteve
The sandwich is a #517 20x1.5mm Earls Billet, small oring.
The cooler is their 19row cooler, but I dont know the part number.
The mounting bracket is by Setrab, but fits the Earls cooler with a little bit of grinding on the bracket washers.
Lines and fittings are all Aeroquip from Summit racing. I used 3 90° -10 socketless and 1 120° -10 socketless fittings.
You need 2 3/8NPT to -10male adapters on the sandwich.
You need 2 -10male oring to -10 male AN on the cooler.
I used about 8-9ft of Aeroquip -10 socketless hose.

Earls makes socketless fittings and hose too. Where in socal are you? I bought the cooler, brackets and sandwich from Earls in Hawthorne on Hawthorne Blvd at the 405.

This is something I want to try. I've never really assembled something like this before for my car, but I would like to try. Save a few bucks and make sure everything is done right! However, when you say sandwich and AN fittings I get brain seizures. What is a Sandwich? Are these the end plates of the cooler? Also, do you have links to the Earl cooler on summit's site? Finally, Is there a bracket that fits without the need for grinding? Oh yeah and what kind of tools will I need to get the job done?

Thanks,

Reav

350Zteve 05-18-2006 08:52 AM

The sandwich is the adapter that goes between the engine and the oil filiter. This channels the oil out to the cooler and back.

Cooler: http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

Bracket (I think this is the one) http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

Sandwich: http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

RKnight 05-18-2006 11:31 PM

Do you have to leave the undertray off if you install a oil cooler since the lines run below the radiator support? Maybe some peple cut a hole in the plastic tray to clear the lines.

350Zteve 05-19-2006 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by RKnight
Do you have to leave the undertray off if you install a oil cooler since the lines run below the radiator support? Maybe some peple cut a hole in the plastic tray to clear the lines.

No, not at all. There is one plastic panel on the passanger side of the car that runs perpendicular to the sway bar bushing that I cut a hole it to route the lines through. There is another little plastic panel near the the power steering cooler that I trimmed a bit too, allowing the lines to come in to the mouth of the front end.

NISMOFO 05-23-2006 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by MoodDude
I fit my Oil cooler next to the APS intercooler and I have the stock front bumper. There is room for the oil cooler on the drivers side.

Can you please show a picture of this? Also, where is your power steering cooler now mounted?

Thanks.

Mike Wazowski 05-24-2006 02:44 AM

thanks for the informative thread.

ecorona6 06-11-2006 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by USN HM 350Z
thanks for the informative thread.

:+1:

MoodDude 06-12-2006 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by 350Track
Can you please show a picture of this? Also, where is your power steering cooler now mounted?

Thanks.

Don't have any pictures yet. I found the information on how to mount it on another 350z web site. But, my power steering cooler was mounted on the passanger side of the car from the factory. The drivers side just had a plastic piece, so I just removed it and installed the oil cooler there. I ran the hoses by cutting the plastic behind the oil cooler to get it over to the sandwhich.
The hardest thing to do was cut the bumper for the oil cooler to fit. But, overall the job really is a no brainer.

uwaeve 07-17-2006 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by Kolia
We all have one.
It's sandwiched between the block and the oil filter.

Does this accept coolant and dump heat into it, or does it send the oil out to a heat exchanger and back?

uwaeve

Kolia 07-17-2006 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by uwaeve
Does this accept coolant and dump heat into it, or does it send the oil out to a heat exchanger and back?

uwaeve

From the heads according to my manual.

Still cooler than without it I guess :rolleyes:

12AutoX 07-17-2006 04:11 PM

I just purchased the Stillen oil cooler. I will be installing it with my next oil change. I will provide pics, too. Thanks for the helpful thread +2, esp the part about installing a wire grill in front of it. Great idea!

mw9 11-01-2006 07:32 AM

I run my car in the winter is this setup going to be ok or would I have to change the setup in any way. thanks

mw9 11-01-2006 07:33 AM

I will be running my car in the winter, will I have to make any changes in the setup.

Kolia 11-01-2006 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by mw9
I will be running my car in the winter, will I have to make any changes in the setup.

Winter in Ohio shouldn’t be a problem with an aftermarket oil cooler.

Make sure you run some good quality 5W30 oil. Synthetic will be more stable. Check your oil pressure to make sure it doesn’t go to high while warming up the engine.

If you’re really worried, you might get 0W30 oil. But I don’t think it’s necessary. I used to run 0W30 in winter in my Suby when I was back in Quebec. It helped on engine startup when the temperatures were -30 Celcius. You won’t see that here!