Notices

DIY: Powerbleed clutch w/ Wilwood Reservoir swap.

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2010, 10:32 AM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

^ dude...........make it to the tech day! call wilwood and order and ensure you get your stuff in time..........im doing this mod on my car that day too......along with two others!

-J
Old 03-01-2010, 12:57 PM
Sooner350

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

I just got back to OK from TX today, for the second week in a row. I drive 70+ miles a day for work, and I'm tired of seeing the miles rack up on the 350. I need a new job, hence the reason I was in TX.

I might make it. If I can find one this week, I need to replace the front right caliper. Turns out I blew the seal on one of the pistons at Eagles Canyon last weekend.

I went ahead and changed the clutch fluid this weekend. The cheap-o bleeder I got from Harbor Freight worked like a charm. Luckily my Pops was there to help, or else I couldn't have gotten it done so easily. After doing all this work over the last few weeks I feel like I can do anything on my car. Bring on engine rebuilds and anything else.
Old 03-04-2010, 12:00 PM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by Sooner350
I went ahead and changed the clutch fluid this weekend. The cheap-o bleeder I got from Harbor Freight worked like a charm. Luckily my Pops was there to help, or else I couldn't have gotten it done so easily. After doing all this work over the last few weeks I feel like I can do anything on my car. Bring on engine rebuilds and anything else.
Yes, HR engine slave's are different and you can use a siphon vacuuming bleeder from the bottom of the system.....

then again, i wouldnt want that slave for drifting clutches anyway, thus there is the mod thread to swap slaves to the 03-06 style.....

HARBOR FREIGHT: ITEM #92474
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=92474

-J
Old 03-05-2010, 08:46 AM
tquill

Originally Posted by JasonZ-YA
LIST OF ITEMS:

Metal Supply Warehouse:

Aluminum Tee angle - sold in 1 ft length min - ($8.00)
1x1 tee, .050 - .125 thick. Anything will work as a mount, plastic, etc...doesn't need to be super thick either.
Jason, these aren't two separate parts are they? Just one aluminum tee angle right?
Old 03-05-2010, 10:19 AM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by tquill
Jason, these aren't two separate parts are they? Just one aluminum tee angle right?
Yes....look at the pics and the drawing in pic #4

IF you find tee.....let me know...give me a call, if not, i may have something that will work for tech day.

-J
Old 03-05-2010, 11:05 AM
tquill

Yes....look at the pics and the drawing in pic #4

IF you find tee.....let me know...give me a call, if not, i may have something that will work for tech day.

-J
Well I have two L's that will probably work, and I'll bring those because I think they'll work. The place I went by didn't have T's that weren't small enough.

I'm buying the wilwood stuff from Sooner350... so that stuff is coming by mail to your house tomorrow right?

After work I'm going by Lowes to get the other stuff I need for the project.
Old 03-05-2010, 12:40 PM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

Well I have two L's that will probably work, and I'll bring those because I think they'll work. The place I went by didn't have T's that weren't small enough.
Yes that should work so long as you dont get aluminum L angle thats too thick!

reason i say is that the oem mount that we "REUSE has two bolts/studs on it. so you dont want to be to THICK that you cant put the nuts back on!

you can see the two bolts/studs - see this pic:

I'm buying the wilwood stuff from Sooner350... so that stuff is coming by mail to your house tomorrow right?
According to his predictions! i hope my friendly usps man comes through....

After work I'm going by Lowes to get the other stuff I need for the project.
sounds good! i have the teflon tape...just get the fittings, barb fittings and whatever else you need still

-J
Old 03-11-2010, 05:55 AM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

Default Finally done on my car.....

Ya so after having all the parts for quite a while i finally got around to doing this on my own dammn car......

Actually Tquill and I did both our cars just the other day......

STEVE - NEVERLIFT - your next....

Also, did SS line install and this mod...

I was able to find a 1/4 inch male to 1/2 inch female barb fittings........so my barb connection was much more compact as it was only two pieces..............found at TRUE VALUE - NUTS AND BOLTS STORE.

-J
Attached Thumbnails DIY: Powerbleed clutch w/ Wilwood Reservoir swap.-imag0034.jpg   DIY: Powerbleed clutch w/ Wilwood Reservoir swap.-imag0033.jpg   DIY: Powerbleed clutch w/ Wilwood Reservoir swap.-imag0032.jpg  

Last edited by JasonZ-YA; 06-25-2010 at 06:23 AM.
Old 03-11-2010, 05:59 AM
AcidJake75
Living in 350Z

Ya so after having all the parts for quite a while i finally got around to doing this on my own dammn car......

Actually Tquill and I did both our cars just the other day......

did SS line install and this mod...
Slacker..!

LOL - looks good J
Old 03-11-2010, 06:03 AM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

Old 06-25-2010, 06:27 AM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

Default Tee for mount:

Okay,

The Tee mentioned before was made from aluminum. Note that all it does is support a light weight reservoir....

I have hacked up a cheap hard plastic tray similar to this one in order to obtain a TEE shaped piece from it to use as a mount.

cheap and easily found at any office supply/walmart/home depot or you may already have one you can sacrifice...

-J
Attached Thumbnails DIY: Powerbleed clutch w/ Wilwood Reservoir swap.-d7bfef64ae9099ad79d8b70514988336c4.jpg  
Old 07-14-2010, 04:23 AM
Madbomber

thanks for the great write up! a useful mod for a simple way to flush the clutch fluid. diy'd the project yesterday and was quite straight forward with this thread. i didn't epoxy the base to the reservoir and ran into a problem. the motive bleeder am using has a broken psi gauge so i pumped it about a dozen times thinking thats probably around 10-15 psi. i turned around and heard a POP! everything got real fun at that point. the res popped off the base and dumped all the clutch fluid all over the car and paint. the motive power bleeder was still under pressure so that was dumping even more fluid all over the engine bay. after a serious rinsing and simple green treatment got epoxy for the install. everything went smoothly after that installed a SS Clutch Line at the same time. the cars running great! Thanks Again for this great write up!!!
Old 07-14-2010, 04:41 AM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by Madbomber
thanks for the great write up! a useful mod for a simple way to flush the clutch fluid. diy'd the project yesterday and was quite straight forward with this thread. i didn't epoxy the base to the reservoir and ran into a problem. the motive bleeder am using has a broken psi gauge so i pumped it about a dozen times thinking thats probably around 10-15 psi. i turned around and heard a POP! everything got real fun at that point. the res popped off the base and dumped all the clutch fluid all over the car and paint. the motive power bleeder was still under pressure so that was dumping even more fluid all over the engine bay. after a serious rinsing and simple green treatment got epoxy for the install. everything went smoothly after that installed a SS Clutch Line at the same time. the cars running great! Thanks Again for this great write up!!!
yeah, you can actually get away with NOT using the epoxy IF you have someone stay there holding down the reservoir to ensure it stays down...

I have done a few like that and even letting it go while under 15psi it holds, but i still kept my hand on it.

I have installed this mod on about 4 or 5 cars now, and only one used the epoxy.....
I think the gauge not working may have let you pressurize it way to much causing it to launch off...

Either way, congrats on the install...glad you like it..

-J

Last edited by JasonZ-YA; 07-14-2010 at 04:46 AM.
Old 08-18-2010, 08:28 PM
jmr0311

Jason,

Could you have used the 4 oz. remote reservoir kit Willwood have in their website or you think this will hold to little of clutch fluid. I just think the 4 oz. bottle will be easier to accommodate in that tight space where the brake reservoir is located.
Old 08-19-2010, 05:09 AM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by jmr0311
Jason,

Could you have used the 4 oz. remote reservoir kit Willwood have in their website or you think this will hold to little of clutch fluid. I just think the 4 oz. bottle will be easier to accommodate in that tight space where the brake reservoir is located.
See originally of course I would have rather done that, but the problem was the base or the cap wasn't the right size..........cant remember which one, i remember having to do an RMA (return) and order the 7 due to it not working.

last i called they told me they were changing their sizes, but I havent bothered to verify if it will all work....

The OEM reservior is only 2 ounces, so ya not much is needed at all, and if they revised the 4oz to fit the same screw cap/thus allowing the same screw cap adapter from motive AND the base is still sized small to fit, then ya your golden.....

let me know what you find out.....Im sure a smaller one will fit cleaner for sure...

-J
Old 09-25-2010, 02:14 PM
350z_Gio

I just did this mod today...
worked out great and added a nismo ss line while i was at it
thanks jason for the great write up
Old 10-14-2010, 10:07 AM
RICHARDHAUNTER

Any picture of teh underside clutch slave bleed nipple? Im picking up my Z at the dealer tomorrow and this is something I really want to do since its an 03.
Old 10-14-2010, 10:13 AM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

the clutch slave bleed nipple looks just like that of the brakes.......

edit:

pics of what it looks like:

Just use a typical vinyl hose and bleed into a dos XX bottle!

-J
Attached Thumbnails DIY: Powerbleed clutch w/ Wilwood Reservoir swap.-bleed-nipple.jpg  

Last edited by JasonZ-YA; 10-14-2010 at 10:28 AM.
Old 10-14-2010, 07:47 PM
RICHARDHAUNTER

Thanks a lot! Ill do it next week.
Old 10-20-2010, 10:41 AM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

^ post pics when its all done..

-J

Quick Reply: DIY: Powerbleed clutch w/ Wilwood Reservoir swap.