Notices
Engine Swaps For all your engine swap experiences, ideas, questions, & more..

2003 Nissan 350z 1.5jzgte swap

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2019, 08:34 PM
Raggan

Received 62 Likes on 39 Posts
Default 2003 Nissan 350z 1.5jzgte swap

Hey everyone I am new to the 350z community, my name is Josh.

The main goal for this project is sleeper status with 400~ on the street with pump gas and 600+ on the track/drag strip with E85.
Long story short, I use to be an owner of a 1989 Toyota Supra with a 1JZGTE swap. The car was stolen and found in pieces/chopped up. When I bought the car back the engine was tired and cylinder 4 was scored up, so I decided why not upgrade to a 2jzge bottom end for the build!

2jzge built bottom end CP pistons, Scat rods, ARP head studs/mains, King racing bearings,10-1 compression
1jzgte stock head
6 boost manifold
Precision 46mm wastegate
Tial BOV
Stage 4 Collins adapter kit full kit with ACT clutch and aluminum driveshaft, etc...
Wiring specialties harness
Complete set of OEM gaskets(Tomei Headgasket 2.0mm 87.5 bore) used to bring compression down from 11.0 to 10.1
Gates timing belt
Link g4 + storm black edition
Injector dynamics rail with 1000 CC injectors
Flex fuel sensor and full ethanol lines
Walbro 255/450
Lower rad hose/upper
FFIM intake
CJ motor sports fuel return kit
Precision waste gate x1
Tial BOV air fittings
Power steering high pressure line
Inter-cooler
Oil cooler
AC compressor/bracket
BC Springs/Retainers
Valve Keepers
Thermostat housing
16x1.5 VVTI PLUG
2jzge starter
Turbo 61/62 custom dual ball bearing 1.06 ar t3

Updated List of parts needed to complete the swap

High Priority

Inter-cooler-piping
Cooling fans
Throttle Cable

Low Priority

Oil cooler lines -8
Air Filter
Wideband o2 sensor
Precision 46MM waste gate
Down pipe
Modify manifold for dual gates
AC lines
Serpentine belt

Here's some pictures of the car / parts

6 boost manifold

Collins swap kit minus shifter(was shipped separately)

Last edited by Raggan; 10-14-2019 at 08:23 PM.
Old 05-30-2019, 03:45 PM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Received 1,282 Likes on 1,007 Posts

It's been done before recently and I suggest you find that thread (I'm sure someone will post it) and do exactly as he did.

do you have tig setup?

do you tune as well?

Last edited by bealljk; 05-30-2019 at 03:49 PM.
Old 05-30-2019, 05:37 PM
Raggan

Hey thanks for the information, I checked all of those posts already. I am just torn between using a mk4 supra radiator or a 350z aluminum core and having the bottom outlet welded to the passenger side of the radiator.

No I do not have a tig welder ( my close family friend is a professional mobile welder). I will be getting Chris scemin from Spectrum Motorsports Solutions to modify the manifold and build the down pipe as he is building me a custom ball bearing turbo.

I have the basic abilities to tune, I have done quite a bit of street tuning on my supra. That being said I am no professional and I have blown up a few 7mgte supra engines learning in the past. Once i switched to a 1jzgte I went full standalone and I learned a lot. I tuned it to 18 psi made about 400~ to the wheels with a 6266, I had that setup for about 4 months and the car was stolen. I did not get the turbo back but I got the engine and trans back, I think they took the turbo off and sold it right away. When it comes to tuning I will not go beyond my comfort zone, my comfort zone is low timing maximum of 18 psi of boost and keeping it on pump gas. So in the end I will be getting it professionally tuned, I am actually working on a base map with PC link software to run the car once the car is assembled.

Sorry for the rambling =)

Last edited by Raggan; 05-30-2019 at 05:39 PM.
Old 05-30-2019, 07:30 PM
bealljk
350Z-holic

You may want to pick up an inexpensive TIG machine as you will need to do custom mounts, intake, exhaust work. Having the ability to weld stuff whenever you want will be a big help.

Sounds like you have a good base for tuning ... I'd continue that by street tuning your fuel and tinkering (and I use that very very lightly) your ignition.

I just jumped to the Link G4 on my VQDE/350z and although more complicted it's way more capable than my previous piggyback haltech.

Shameless plug - but if you want to learn more about tuning High Performance Academy is a pretty good source. Its $19/month and/or per course cost but it's well worth it.

Document your build for sure - you got a great start and I'm interested on how you do things and you are attempting quite possibly the hardest / most realistic build on this platform.

Last edited by bealljk; 05-30-2019 at 07:36 PM.
Old 05-30-2019, 08:18 PM
Raggan

Smile

Originally Posted by bealljk
You may want to pick up an inexpensive TIG machine as you will need to do custom mounts, intake, exhaust work. Having the ability to weld stuff whenever you want will be a big help.

Sounds like you have a good base for tuning ... I'd continue that by street tuning your fuel and tinkering (and I use that very very lightly) your ignition.

I just jumped to the Link G4 on my VQDE/350z and although more complicted it's way more capable than my previous piggyback haltech.

Shameless plug - but if you want to learn more about tuning High Performance Academy is a pretty good source. Its $19/month and/or per course cost but it's well worth it.

Document your build for sure - you got a great start and I'm interested on how you do things and you are attempting quite possibly the hardest / most realistic build on this platform.
Hey thanks for the tips bro, I have the trans and motor mounts already . Also I don't have the space for a welder otherwise I totally would learn to weld. I am already a member of HPA, I have done a few of the basic courses including launch control/boost control etc.... I will be documenting and keeping all recites just like my last build, the only reason I can really afford this swap is because. I had most of the core components already and I got a huge settlement from the insurance company for my car that was stolen. I had something like 30,000$ Canadian in recites, so the insurance company couldn't argue when my car was stolen. The damage to the car was so bad they deemed it parts only and the front end was chopped up. Luckily the police managed to catch them in their home before they removed the engine. Unfortunately they cut the inter cooler/cooling pipes, rad etc... sold the turbo charger or got rid of it. I managed to buy the car back with the engine for dirt cheap sold parts etc... for the swap.

Last edited by Raggan; 05-30-2019 at 08:21 PM.
Old 06-03-2019, 08:13 PM
Raggan

Last edited by Raggan; 06-03-2019 at 09:14 PM.
Old 06-04-2019, 03:33 AM
813_350Z

Received 318 Likes on 247 Posts

This is going to be beautiful when completed. Keep us updated!
The following users liked this post:
Raggan (06-16-2019)
Old 06-04-2019, 04:19 PM
Raggan

Will do sir! I am still waiting on driftmotion for 2 weeks to ship my full oem gaskets/ ARP Mains. Also it has been 4 weeks since I ordered my wiring specialties harness, and they still haven't started building it yet. On a positive note the Crank/dampener/pressure plate/flywheel were sent off to be balanced as the rods arrived at the machine shop yesterday. So engine will be ready in a week or two hopefully. They still have to bore out the cylinders drill out the oil feed line on the passenger side, Drill out the drain flange for the turbo on the front sump pan. I am probably going to get them to assemble the bottom end as well, we will see. I also ordered a new 350z aluminum radiator and 2jz lower rad hose. The radiator is just an ebay special, the bottom outlet needs to be welded on the opposite side. The 1jzgte water neck needs to be cut and welded as well....Lots of work to do. I decided to go with a 350z radiator so I didn't have to hack my front end up.
Old 06-05-2019, 07:50 PM
Raggan

Some parts arrived and driftmotion finally shipped my order today! They can't get me 1jz non vvti exhaust gaskets anyone know a source for them? The parts pile is getting huge..... lol

I need to have the lower outlet of the radiator welded to the other side also I need to cut the 1jzgte waterneck

that's the position it sits on the engine I need to cut the bend off so it's a straight shot to the top feed of the radiator.

On a side note, I am trying to explain everything in as much detail as possible. I noticed while doing my research that a lot of threads were lacking information in regards to this swap.

Last edited by Raggan; 06-05-2019 at 08:00 PM.
Old 06-07-2019, 01:00 PM
Raggan

Just ordered cj motorsports return fuel kit
Old 06-09-2019, 07:44 PM
Raggan

Update, Parts list is getting smaller every week. I ordered the fittings for the tial BOV and precision wastegate air fittings/ clamp that were missing. I also dropped the radiator off at my friends place who is a professional welder and he is switching the outlets on the radiator for me for free! He will also be modifying the top feed off the 1jzgte head for the radiator feed, he wants to do it once it's in the car so we don't cut and weld and it's the wrong angle. Which is the smart thing to do honestly hopefully he can weld up a few bungs for me and a couple inter cooler pipes too! Also still no update from wiring specialties on when the harness will be finished, but hey it's no big deal, I'm not quite ready to start the swap yet. Still need a few more things and to save up some money for the downpipe/modify wastegate unless my friend will do it, but I don't wanna end up with boost creep when modifying the position of the wastegates.

Last edited by Raggan; 06-09-2019 at 07:46 PM.
Old 06-10-2019, 06:06 AM
lifekenophobic

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

In for updates. Looks like a fun project.
Raggan (06-12-2019)
Old 06-10-2019, 07:42 AM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by Raggan
dropped the radiator off at my friends place who is a professional welder and he is switching the outlets on the radiator for me for free! He will also be modifying the top feed off the 1jzgte head
having the ability to slightly mod these components will be awesome. I switched my coolant hoses to AN-20 lines and it's a much better look/function.

great progress!
Raggan (06-12-2019)
Old 06-11-2019, 04:10 PM
Raggan

having the ability to slightly mod these components will be awesome. I switched my coolant hoses to AN-20 lines and it's a much better look/function.

great progress!
Yes it is and thank you

Now for the update gaskets, timing belt thermal take intake gaskets and arp main studs are in!!!! And a bonus driftmotion found me a set of exhaust manifold gaskets. They are super awesome!!
Old 06-16-2019, 02:19 AM
Raggan

Quick update I am still waiting on the machine shop at this point, I have no idea why it's taking so long. It has been in the shop for almost 2 months. Some good news my cj motor sports kit and fittings are in at my PO box I'll try and grab it next week when I have time

Last edited by Raggan; 06-16-2019 at 02:21 AM.
Old 06-16-2019, 08:44 AM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by Raggan
I have no idea why it's taking so long. It has been in the shop for almost 2 months.
two contradicting thoughts:

#1. You dont want them to hurry and funker something up
#2. Yea, 2months is pretty long...

great progress and keep up the good work!
Raggan (06-16-2019)
Old 06-16-2019, 10:08 AM
Raggan

two contradicting thoughts:

#1. You dont want them to hurry and funker something up
#2. Yea, 2months is pretty long...

great progress and keep up the good work!
True they have built motors for me in the past, it has never taken those long.

Yes 2 months is a long time, considering they have all the parts for the engine...

Thanks man, I think I'm just being impatient. Been having dreams of the 350z 1.5jz hahaha
Old 06-18-2019, 02:42 PM
Raggan

Heads back from the machine shop

nothing exciting really
Old 06-20-2019, 09:15 PM
Raggan

I have some good news wiring specialties has finished my harness and it has been shipped!

The bad news the machine shop has been working on the bottom end and we ran into a bit of a problem. We drilled out the oil feed hole, for the turbo on the 2jzge block. It leads to a empty oil gallery that has no oil feeding to the oil gallery on the passenger/exhaust side of the block. This is because that oil gallery feeds the turbo / oil squirters in the 2jzgte's but not the 2jzge's... good thing they caught this as it would have costed me a turbo!!! I spoke with Real Street Performance and they were nice enough to send me a video of where we have to drill into the block to get oil into that gallery!

Last edited by Raggan; 06-20-2019 at 09:17 PM.
rustyschopshop (06-21-2019)
Old 06-27-2019, 04:31 AM
Raggan

A quick update, i ordered chaser bays high pressure power steering hose. I haven't had time to pick up some parts at my po box.

Quick Reply: 2003 Nissan 350z 1.5jzgte swap