MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion

MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion (https://my350z.com/forum/)
-   Europe (https://my350z.com/forum/europe-39/)
-   -   6 Months in Italy... (https://my350z.com/forum/europe/560500-6-months-in-italy.html)

Jairen 07-22-2012 02:42 AM

6 Months in Italy...

Wow. This has been a big change form Southern California.

I live just north of Naples. Not knowing anything about Italy, I came with the impression that it would be car heaven. I was wrong, at least in my area, where it is just a bunch of compact cars with a few Mercedes and BMW's. The only Z's or G'z are owned by US military members and we stick out like a sore thumb.

Driving. Wow. I've never lived in a place where people blindly make left and right hand turns at a 3 or 4 way intersection without looking or stopping with their kids inside. Roads simply suck. Other than the A1, potholes and expansion joints with poor patch jobs all over. Better have some good struts. Not sure how long my Tokico D-specs will last. The freeway system is a joke here. totally unorganized. Getting on and off the freeway is like maneuvering through a maze. No simple on-ramps and off-ramps here. For instance, Ikea is right off the freeway, but to get to it, you need to make a 5 mile journey around town to get to it and another to get back on the freeway. Same with the mall. :icon22:

Parking. I hate parking in Italy, especially in the G. I've seen several people back into cars and simply drive off like it was nothing. No regard for other peoples stuff. I've already had my other car broken into. Window broken, glove box ripped open, trunk forced open which now won't stay closed and took the radio.

No car scene. Zero, none, nada. I've read that northern Italy is more car friendly, with better roads and better cars. Hope to make a drive up north one day and check it out. Farthest north I've been to is Rome.

Is Naples the a$$hole of Italy? Nothing but trash everywhere and people in general can be rude and snobby. People seem more friendly in Rome.

All the americans get broken into. I just had a co-worker get burglarized very recently. Entered through his bedroom window while he was sleeping with his family, stole his belongings, including his personal family pictures on the wall, electronics, jewelry and car.

End of rant.

With all that said, there's some cool stuff to see around here. If you like history, there are a lot of old stuff that is still around.

jv350z 07-22-2012 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by Jairen (Post 9818941)
Is Naples the a$$hole of Italy?

Yes, I think I saw that in a travel guide.

cnz 07-27-2012 03:11 PM

There's two sides to europe man. I've visited 16 times and have family in spain, serbia,germany, netherlands, sweden.norway, finland, and UK... and i see exactly what you're talking about... big differences positive and negative

122554 07-27-2012 04:07 PM

Sounds like Ca. to me!

Mazinger Z 07-28-2012 12:07 AM

I will gladly trade places with ya.

Jairen 07-28-2012 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by Mazinger Z (Post 9826323)
I will gladly trade places with ya.

I would if I could. Don't get me wrong. Italy is a great place to visit, but to live here as an American that is used to the American lifestyle, things get old here.

Jairen 09-09-2012 10:55 AM

133 Euro to fill up the car today while visiting Florence. :rolleyes:

122554 09-09-2012 12:07 PM

A dropping the bucket! 133€. I paid 12.5€ a gallon yesterday in Bergen!

Jairen 09-10-2012 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by 122554 (Post 9875034)
A dropping the bucket! 133€. I paid 12.5€ a gallon yesterday in Bergen!

Ouch! that must hurt the wallet!

I just want to know...I was driving from Florence to Rome on the A1. I had 3 different cars try to race me. A Fiat Punto :bowrofl:, a Volkswagon Polo :bowrofl: and an entry level C-Class Mercedes. Is it normal for Italians to try and race on the freeway?

Jairen 01-04-2013 07:25 AM

1 year mark in Italy...

Living in the sh!ttiest part of Italy (Napoli) has made want realize how much "nicer" the northern parts of Italy are compared to this sh!thole. I absolutely hate these rude anti-american people in this part of the country. People in the Middle East a far nicer in comparison. Customer service doesn't exist unless your a native Italian or in a tourist location. Just speaking the truth. That is all.

Bruno350z 01-04-2013 02:53 PM

I visit Italy once every few years and I love the driving over there. Sure you can't have a nice car but no one cries like they do in America. Freeways are actually very simple, I'm not sure why you have a hard time with it? First person I've ever heard say that lol
The reason why Rome is so much "better" in your opinion is because you're american and Rome is a tourist state. If you had family in Naples guaranteed it would be a different experience for you. Northern parts are alright, more touristy tho.

Jairen 01-04-2013 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by Bruno350z (Post 10001056)
I visit Italy once every few years and I love the driving over there. Sure you can't have a nice car but no one cries like they do in America. Freeways are actually very simple, I'm not sure why you have a hard time with it? First person I've ever heard say that lol
The reason why Rome is so much "better" in your opinion is because you're american and Rome is a tourist state. If you had family in Naples guaranteed it would be a different experience for you. Northern parts are alright, more touristy tho.

The freeway's aren't bad. Don't get me wrong. Simple and free flowing. The outrages toll prices are steep though. Toll one time from Naples to Rome was 24 Euro's (one way)! Driving though Naples is a whole different story.

Rome is ok, but north of Rome in places like Florence and Milan is where it's much nicer and the people in general are friendlier.

The Naples area is also a tourist town with the Amafli Coast, Mt Vesuvius and Pomeii nearby. The mounds of trash everywhere is just absolutely disgusting and embarrassing.

Even without family in the Naples area, I work with people born and raised in Naples and even they will agree that it's nicer up north. I know an Italian who travels from Naples but from Bologna and refers to Naples as a "peasant" town.

Bruno350z 01-08-2013 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by Jairen (Post 10001082)
The freeway's aren't bad. Don't get me wrong. Simple and free flowing. The outrages toll prices are steep though. Toll one time from Naples to Rome was 24 Euro's (one way)! Driving though Naples is a whole different story.

Rome is ok, but north of Rome in places like Florence and Milan is where it's much nicer and the people in general are friendlier.

The Naples area is also a tourist town with the Amafli Coast, Mt Vesuvius and Pomeii nearby. The mounds of trash everywhere is just absolutely disgusting and embarrassing.

Even without family in the Naples area, I work with people born and raised in Naples and even they will agree that it's nicer up north. I know an Italian who travels from Naples but from Bologna and refers to Naples as a "peasant" town.

Yeah the toll roads are steep, but there's never any traffic so one can't complain lol. I personally found Florencia boring. Maybe it's just me but did you have the same experience?
I wouldn't say peasant town, but I would say it's like LA in california lol. I've only been to Naples once and never plan on returning, but it was nice for the 2 days I was there. Maybe not to live there tho

Jairen 01-08-2013 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by Bruno350z (Post 10004900)
Yeah the toll roads are steep, but there's never any traffic so one can't complain lol. I personally found Florencia boring. Maybe it's just me but did you have the same experience?
I wouldn't say peasant town, but I would say it's like LA in california lol. I've only been to Naples once and never plan on returning, but it was nice for the 2 days I was there. Maybe not to live there tho

Naples compared to northern Italy is like Tijuanna compared to SoCal.

Have you seen the trash? The town has SOOOO much potential if they just cleaned it up. Florence, Milan and Venice are much cleaner and the people in general are nicer.

In northern Italy, I can drive the car and park it on the street. Not in Naples. It's guaranteed to get broken into or stolen. Just recently another co-worker got robbed while they were sleeping sound at night and stole all their valuables and tore up their family pictures. No alarm was set-off. Apparently, the landlord had a set of keys to the house and let the robbers into the home.

stein350z 06-28-2017 05:21 AM

italy sucks...i wonder to live in US :(

KingBaby 06-28-2017 07:25 AM

yeah the place is nice ...but things we take for granted here (US) is non existent over there !

stein350z 07-03-2017 01:03 AM

yep...
too expensive for the basic things(as fuel,energy,etc)
too many taxes...
for an example...only fot OWN the 350z...(i'm not talking about insurance)
i spend every year about 1200/1300 USD as owning tax...
(for owning a GTR35 or M3e92 in italy you have to pay something like 7/8000 $ every year)

too many person corrupted in the government(they only think to steal more money as possible to the people)

trust me i wish to have the green card......

Atreyu'z 350 07-03-2017 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by stein350z (Post 10898558)
yep...
too expensive for the basic things(as fuel,energy,etc)
too many taxes...
for an example...only fot OWN the 350z...(i'm not talking about insurance)
i spend every year about 1200/1300 USD as owning tax...
(for owning a GTR35 or M3e92 in italy you have to pay something like 7/8000 $ every year)

too many person corrupted in the government(they only think to steal more money as possible to the people)

trust me i wish to have the green card......

Yeah, until you get here... America sucks. I'm moving to Japan.

stein350z 07-07-2017 04:18 AM

JAPAN>USA>ITALY ahahahah :D

in italy tax pressure is almost at 73%...
you earn 100k...pay taxes...vat...u have 27k...

KingBaby 07-07-2017 07:56 AM

I tried marrying a japanese girl....they didn't like me :(

Japan is very nice !