Notices
Exterior & Interior 350Z Body modification, interior styling and lighting
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone tried/bought Spiderlite bulbs yet?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2005, 07:30 AM
350Z_LMS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone tried/bought Spiderlite bulbs yet?

Hello everyone, anybody actually tried these bulbs yet? Prices and sizes are finally available on the site and I am on for a set. Question: what size/type is best and how many should I buy? 2 or 4?
Glad to get your opinions/suggestions...
Ciao
Old 03-15-2005, 07:43 AM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

website? I know what your talking about; looks really interesting. but I assumed theyd be very very expensive. whatd they end up at?

I wonder how theyd work for us. tail light bulb faces up, which means it wouldnt have the right angle. the rear turn signal is a small area, I wonder if it would be able to expand all the way. front turn signal would probably work, but itd have to look good since that bulb is very visible.
Old 03-15-2005, 09:23 AM
350Z_LMS

I would be interested in the position and stop lights; for the indicators I have ordered EVOStyle bulbs. Anyone had a try of the spiderlite (www.spiderlite.com) bulbs??????
Old 03-15-2005, 10:41 AM
Bottom

I just placed an order for the the stop light bulb replacements, type 7443. The only type they had that would fit are the three arm ones. I got the largest diameter. I am hoping that they are not too big. I will take some pictures as soon as I receive them.
David
Old 03-15-2005, 10:12 PM
ares
Veteran

be warned there is a 99% chance even if they do fit, they wont be effective as a stop light. the stop light is oriented verticle. not a problem for a normal bulb since it emits almost 360degrees. but LEDs youd be flashing at the sky; with the angle being <180degrees; little to none will go back; your relying on almost all refraction; because the housing is only reflective below; not above.

35$ a bulb too... and thats the special price.

just wish they said more than
What type of LED are featured in Spiderlite?
High Intensity automotive grade LEDs are featured in Spiderlite.

that means absolutely nothing lol. if they werent 35$ Id buy it just for the mounting base so I could strap some luxeons onto it lol blind.

definitly post pictures, always a chance they did things right and put some high powered LEDs in there.
Old 03-16-2005, 12:30 AM
350Z_LMS

Thanks David! Looking forward to the pics...let's hope ARES is wrong! David, did you but 2 bulbs or 4? I mean there are two bulbs in each of the tail housings, so I suppose you are only swapping stop lights and not position ones. Pics pics pics pics!
Old 03-16-2005, 11:12 AM
Bottom

I am aware that there is a high possibility that they will not fit and they will not look like the examples from their website. Even though ARES thinks there's the 1% chance they'll fit, I still think that it's a such a cool idea and worth the investment. It doesn't bother me that I am the first to try this, but I don't understand the opposition to trying. I think that the Spiderlite company is addressing the issue that the orientation of the LEDS on the front of the arms is not always going to point directly at the eyes of the drivers behind the car by putting a LED on the back of each arm. I do not have intimate knowledge of how the housing is shaped and how the arms will lay inside them, but I think that it will be something I will find out when I get them.

I should be getting a Fedex package on the 23rd. I will post pictures as soon as I can.

If it's not a perfect fit and an acceptable replacement, I'll either try them on a different car, sell them on Ebay, or keep them around because I think that they're an awesome product. I actually didn't think that $35 was that bad, especially when the normal 7443 LED bulbs are going for around $15.

350_LMS: I just got two Spiderlites for the stop.
David
Old 03-16-2005, 11:28 AM
Santacruzslick
Veteran

I'm just joining this thread. I'm interested to see how these come out. They look pretty cool.
Old 03-16-2005, 11:14 PM
350Z_LMS

Hey David, I agree with you all the way...I also think it's an awesome idea. Looking forward to the pics. BTW are you keeping your standard bulbs for position? Thanks again! Ciao
Old 03-17-2005, 07:42 AM
Bottom

I am not planning on doing anything with the position lights on the tail lights.

350_LMS: have you checked out www.superbrightleds.com or www.autolumination.com for the normal led bulbs. I did the yellow15 leds 3156 type with the load resistor for the front blinkers and the white 194 type leds for the daytime running lights. I think that's it's a red 194 leds that is the one that would fit in the position light, but I don't know for sure. I also put a white 15 leds 3156 type for the reverse lights, that was a waste of money.
David
Old 03-17-2005, 08:10 AM
350Z_LMS

David, I'm planning on "ledding" everything outside (front position, reverse, rear fog, registration plate) and inside (map, trunk) except for the front, side (we have them in europe!) and rear blinkers. For the front and rear I have ordered a set of silver bulbs from evostyle.com. Spiderlite will be for rear stop; I will get "normal" 7440 LED bulbs for the rear position, all from either superbrightleds or autolumination. Ciao!
Old 03-24-2005, 02:12 AM
350Z_LMS

Just got a reply from their sales department, but they do not know what size will fit inside the tail lights! I don't think I will try buying+fitting before I get a definite size from them (or indeed from Bottom). So, Bottom, send us your report asap!! Ciao
Old 03-24-2005, 04:14 AM
Faluzure

Subscribing.
Old 03-27-2005, 07:58 AM
ares
Veteran

hey Bottom what happened? I really wanna see how these things look .

start posting some reviews.
Old 03-27-2005, 10:49 AM
___DJK___

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ares
hey Bottom what happened? I really wanna see how these things look .

start posting some reviews.
Id be interested to see as well. I agree with your first post though, I dont see how you could get that to fit w/o taking the red housing completely apart + the angle is going to kill the brightness!
Old 03-27-2005, 02:56 PM
Bottom

Sorry for the late post. The bulbs arrived while I was on vacation. They are a great product and I was very impressed with how well they are put together and how they work. The ones I got are three arm style. There are three leds on the front and one in the back. You can rotate the arms about ten degrees for adjustment.

One thing that I noticed that may or may have not influenced my decision is that they are not DOT approved. It says right on the package that they are for show or off road purposes only. Oh well, I guess they're just covering themselves.

I'll post some pictures tonight, I have to resize them and get some night pictures. Sorry again for the delay,
David

Last edited by Bottom; 03-27-2005 at 03:13 PM.
Old 03-27-2005, 03:28 PM
Bottom

Okay, here's some pictures.

This first set is the bulbs hanging in the socket with just the parking lights on. All LEDS are on when the parking lights are on and brighten when the stop light comes on.
Attached Thumbnails Anyone tried/bought Spiderlite bulbs yet?-dsc00001.jpg   Anyone tried/bought Spiderlite bulbs yet?-dsc00002.jpg  

Last edited by Bottom; 03-27-2005 at 03:33 PM.
Old 03-27-2005, 03:32 PM
Bottom

Here's the Spiderlite in the housing. I rotated the arms so one arm is pointing straight up. The other two make a "V" that faces up. Note that it was pretty sunny out when I took the picture and it's still the parking light only.
Attached Thumbnails Anyone tried/bought Spiderlite bulbs yet?-dsc00003.jpg  
Old 03-27-2005, 03:35 PM
Bottom

Here's the normal bulb with parking light on.
Attached Thumbnails Anyone tried/bought Spiderlite bulbs yet?-dsc00004.jpg  
Old 03-27-2005, 03:39 PM
Bottom

Here's the lights with the brake lights on. It's still pretty sunny out and the pictures don't really show anything special.
Attached Thumbnails Anyone tried/bought Spiderlite bulbs yet?-dsc00005.jpg   Anyone tried/bought Spiderlite bulbs yet?-dsc00007.jpg  

Quick Reply: Anyone tried/bought Spiderlite bulbs yet?