Notices
Exterior & Interior 350Z Body modification, interior styling and lighting
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

STICKY ME -- How-to for Front Bumper Removal (Sidemarker Install)

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2002, 10:43 PM
SKiDaZZLe
Charter Member #34

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb How-to for Front Bumper Removal (Sidemarker Install)

so i am test fitting all of my nismo parts, and decide to document put a pair of clear bumper lenses in for the hell of it. (the whole bumper will be replaced this comign weekend...)

i documented the procedure for the bumper removal.. i hope this helps some of you out...

tools:
jack
jackstands (2)
10mm socket and rachet
21mm socket
flathead screwdriver
philips screwdriver

1) Loosen wheel lugs on front tires with 21mm socket.
2) Jack up each side of the car and place on jackstands, so the front wheels are off the ground.
3) remove the wheel lugs from the front wheels, and remove wheels.
4) remove the 2 rear bolts from the under-engine cover with 10mm socket

5) remove the 12 bolts with the 10mm socket (6 in red, same on other side) and use the flat head screwdriver to pry off pop rivet (blue arrow) this will let the cover fall. remove it and place it away.

these next steps need to be done on each side

6) remove the 2 bolts with the 10mm socket and the 2 pop rivets with the flathead from the bottom of the wheel well spalsh guard

7) remove screw from the wheelwell spash guard (i think it may be a bolt stock, but its a screw since i had the front bra added)

8) remove the 3 pop rivets holding the splash guard in place. it should be able to be removed now.

9) remove the 3 bolts with the 10mm socket. (so you dont forget: the 2 closer ones are sharp on the end, and the one away is flat and has a washer)

that is it for each side, the next step is the final step to take bumper cover off.

10) remove the 6 pop rivets from the top of the bumper cover with the flathead screwdriver. be careful not to break them.

11) the bumper should now silde off forward.

IF you are replacing markers, here is the additional step:

12) remove the 2 screws from each marker with the philips screwdriver.

13) replace stock marker with LED marker or clear marker.

installation is in reverse. please make sure the splash guards are correctly overlapping. use pics to determine this.

i am going to leave the pictures on the server for a while. i would appreciate it if someone could find a permanent home.

michael

ps here are some pics of my new bumper and the Z horns:

Old 12-08-2002, 10:59 PM
fdao

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You Da Man, Mike! Moderator, please host this FAQ.
Old 12-09-2002, 07:01 AM
Yuichi

Default Great Job!

Michael,

Nice Tech write up. With the arrows and everything! Taking off the bumper is easy huh? At least I found it easy.

Question for you. How was the fit of the NISMO bumper? Since its fiberglass I'm curious. I have heard NISMO parts fiberglass are very high quality though. Any problems installing it or was it a perfect fit?

Thanks again for the nice write up!
Old 12-09-2002, 07:10 AM
SKiDaZZLe
Charter Member #34

Default Re: Great Job!

Originally posted by Yuichi
Michael,

Nice Tech write up. With the arrows and everything! Taking off the bumper is easy huh? At least I found it easy.

Question for you. How was the fit of the NISMO bumper? Since its fiberglass I'm curious. I have heard NISMO parts fiberglass are very high quality though. Any problems installing it or was it a perfect fit?

Thanks again for the nice write up!
youre right, fiberglass is normally has less tolerance, but the nismo parts fit right on. there was no modifications necessary. i think this is from the fact the bumper is probably made from the same mold as factory, only it has a lip. also, all the edges were sanded down from nismo...

m
Old 12-09-2002, 07:16 AM
insaneamine
Inventor
Z-Xtreme.com

Talking Superb!

Excellent post, Holms.

I couldn’t have done it better! Koudos!
Old 12-09-2002, 08:27 PM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Now, you don't have to do all that if you are ONLY doing the LED side lights do you? Someone else posted that you don't even have to take the wheels off to do these. Don't you just have to get up above the wheels and remove the wheel well piece to do the LED's??
Old 12-09-2002, 08:37 PM
SKiDaZZLe
Charter Member #34

Originally posted by Dr Bonz
Now, you don't have to do all that if you are ONLY doing the LED side lights do you? Someone else posted that you don't even have to take the wheels off to do these. Don't you just have to get up above the wheels and remove the wheel well piece to do the LED's??
you are right... you can do this whole procedure without removing tires..just a bit awkward removing the splash guards.

believe me, this is the easiest way. you can get the driver's side marker with just taking off the splash guard, but you will not be able to reach passenger side marker by removing just the splash guard...

btw.. i am currently working on an LED install on the sidemarkers... i will keep you all updated.

m
Old 12-09-2002, 08:49 PM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Just to clarify, when you say "splashguards" you don't mean the painted add on option splashguards right? You mean the inner wheel well thing right? It's black and is above the tire.
Old 12-09-2002, 08:54 PM
SKiDaZZLe
Charter Member #34

Originally posted by Dr Bonz
Just to clarify, when you say "splashguards" you don't mean the painted add on option splashguards right? You mean the inner wheel well thing right? It's black and is above the tire.
yeah.. i call those other little painted things mudflaps.
btw, i am selling my daytona blue pair. any takers?

m
Old 12-09-2002, 09:18 PM
DIGItonium

Thanks a million!
Now I know what i need to do when I install new bulbs.
Old 12-10-2002, 11:43 PM
fdao

Originally posted by SKiDaZZLe
btw.. i am currently working on an LED install on the sidemarkers... i will keep you all updated.

m
Keep up the good work Mike!
Old 12-11-2002, 09:57 AM
redz32/bluez33

Question Lower splash guard rivets? Washer reservoir?

It seems to me that you are omitting some crucial items. I did this job without taking either the wheels or the bumper off, although I admit the passenger side wasn't easy. But there are two additional pop rivets on the lower inside splash guard, on a flap that folds up and connects it to the frame, that you omitted when removing/replacing the passenger side splash guard (what I will call "fender well protector"-not really a splash guard, as you addressed in later post)
On the drivers side, you can replace the sidemarker without removing the whole well protector-Just get the outer three pop connectors and two 10MM screws out, pop the protector off of the edge, reach up inside with your screwdriver, and remove/replace. Less hassle than reattaching the whole fender well protector.
Now, on the passenger side, once you remove the bumper, isn't the windshield washer reservoir still blocking the screws for the sidemarker, or are they accessible because of the bumper being off? Because when I did this without taking it off, I found it rather difficult to get to the screws because of that reservoir. I was able to get them off using a shaft only (a motorcycle tool kit screwdriver with the handle removed) because it was the only thing low profile enough to hit the screw head straight on and get it off without destroying the screw. I'm just curious is all, because it seems to me that even with the bumper removed, the reservoir still would block the screws.

Sorry-Just looked more closely at pictures-With bumper off, the sidemarker is obviously attached, whereas reservoir is mounted to frame. Got it!

Last edited by redz32/bluez33; 12-11-2002 at 10:02 AM.
Old 12-13-2002, 11:47 AM
tmerrick240

Default Write up on my server

Hey guys I can give this write up a home at my website. right now it is www.topnotchtuning.com but will soon be either www.importcargarage.com or on my personal site www.tylermerrick.com. SKiDaZZLe Let me know if that is ok with you and I will refernce you on the site since you did all the work.
Old 12-13-2002, 11:49 AM
SKiDaZZLe
Charter Member #34

whatever...that sounds good. i just dont want to be a slave to the pics on my webspace

m
Old 12-13-2002, 11:51 AM
tmerrick240

Default server space

I have unlimited space
Old 12-14-2002, 01:53 PM
tmerrick240

Default New Location of Writeup

I have hosted this page on my website please check it out at
http://www.tylermerrick.com/350Z/
Old 12-21-2002, 07:16 PM
Zeromancer

Can anyone tell me where I can get those tinted sidemarkers that the Japanese 350Zs have?
Old 12-30-2002, 12:30 PM
ColecatZ

Originally posted by Zeromancer
Can anyone tell me where I can get those tinted sidemarkers that the Japanese 350Zs have?
Where you able to find them?.......I would prefer the "smoked" lenses of the J-spec over any other ones. Please let me know if you find them....thanks in advance.

Joshua
Old 03-06-2003, 07:40 PM
jackwhale

The black fasteners are called 'pop rivits' I guess. Before I read this I had no idea how they worked. I had pried a bit with a screwdriver but when it didn't come off easily I gave up and intended to ask someone. Now I'll just pry a little more persistently.

Thanks for the great post detailing your work. I do like the look of the Nismo front end. something about that little lip and the center line in the grill area. Show us a pic when you get it painted.
Old 06-07-2005, 10:27 AM
gringott

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Old thread but missing something if I didn't miss it. The black plastic pop rivets on top of the bumper should only have the centers pulled up half way - then the whole rivet will come right off. If you pull up the center pin all the way, the assembly will not come out. It will probably break.

Quick Reply: STICKY ME -- How-to for Front Bumper Removal (Sidemarker Install)