Sponsored by:

Veilside Version 3 Hood

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2005, 01:07 PM
sundevil67

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Veilside Version 3 Hood

Hey All,
I've just finally received a Veilside Version 3 hood after a nearly 3 month delay in getting it here from Japan. I was pretty excited about it, and it arrived while my car was already in the body shop getting some other repair work done, so I was going to save some money on painting (because much of the work was already being done anyway). Anyhow, the hood finally arrives, and my body guy showed it to me on the car just now. It arrived in horrible condition, and even though these aftermarket body parts are often not as polished as their OEM counterparts, this thing requires so much extra finishing and repair that it will cost more than twice as much as the actual hood just to get it on there and looking almost right. It is bent and will never latch correctly, and also has a ton of imperfections in the fiberglass, requiring a tremendous amount of refinishing and prep work. I guess what I am asking here is if anyone else has experience with VEilside or any other aftermarket hoods and whether this is normal. I can't possibly imagine that it is, since they wouldn't ever sell them if this was the case. I am thinking I either got a defective part, or it was damaged during shipping. Is this really what to expect from aftermarket body kits/parts? I told my dealer about it and am awaiting a response. I am already going to be out money if I have to have it replaced, but I am willing to accept a new one if I can get one of better quality.

sundevil67
Old 08-15-2005, 01:22 PM
Bubble
-REPLICA ARMY-

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i was almost getting that V3 hood also. However, i change my mind at the last mins. I get Seibon VT (similar looking to V3 hood). NOOOOOOOOO problem whatsoever on installation part. Perfect fit. You might want to consider switch to Seibon VT.
Old 08-15-2005, 01:23 PM
Srivero297

I had a lot of imperfections in the fiberglass on my V3 as well. I dont know about the not latching thing though.. mine latches fine.
Old 08-15-2005, 01:30 PM
Bubble
-REPLICA ARMY-

here are some pic

Old 08-15-2005, 02:16 PM
LaidbackRacr

That is horrible I almost bought that vielside hod but I had horrible fitment issues with their side mirrors and went away from Vielside on this car, if you'd like you cant take a look at my Seibon VT Hood later this week, it should be here no later than Weds and installed same day
Old 08-15-2005, 03:10 PM
sundevil67

I just looked around for the Seibon VT, and all I found were carbon fiber versions - is that all it comes in? I am not really interested in an all CF hood; I want it painted the same color as my car. I just don't know if it is worth spending all of the money to make this one I have almost fit. Bubble, do you mind if I ask some more detail about the imperfections in yours? How much work was required to make it look right? Was the fit messed up too, or just the finish?

Thanks.
Old 08-15-2005, 03:11 PM
Srivero297

Originally Posted by LaidbackRacr
That is horrible I almost bought that vielside hod but I had horrible fitment issues with their side mirrors and went away from Vielside on this car, if you'd like you cant take a look at my Seibon VT Hood later this week, it should be here no later than Weds and installed same day
great I have veilside mirrors sitting on my shelf waiting to be installed
Old 08-15-2005, 03:17 PM
Bubble
-REPLICA ARMY-

Originally Posted by sundevil67
I just looked around for the Seibon VT, and all I found were carbon fiber versions - is that all it comes in? I am not really interested in an all CF hood; I want it painted the same color as my car. I just don't know if it is worth spending all of the money to make this one I have almost fit. Bubble, do you mind if I ask some more detail about the imperfections in yours? How much work was required to make it look right? Was the fit messed up too, or just the finish?

Thanks.
my is CF. You can paint it to match (as i did on my hood) Fitment 100% fit. The only thing you need to worry is if you have any modify plenum or spacer then the strut bar will hit the hood.
Old 08-15-2005, 03:25 PM
Bubble
-REPLICA ARMY-

Originally Posted by Srivero297
great I have veilside mirrors sitting on my shelf waiting to be installed
still have it? thought you sell off long time ago.
Old 08-15-2005, 04:21 PM
swifty949

There are 2 versions of side mirrors...JDM and USDM. It could be you recieved JDM. Only difference is some sanding on teh bottom of hte VS mirror where it attaches to the mirror shelf thing.

I am aware that VS had issues with customs on thier last shipment, the hoods got put into storage, and were literally crushed during storage. The hoods seemed okay upon inspection but i guess must have gotten deformed. I got this info from one of the VeilSide distributors.
Old 08-15-2005, 09:26 PM
sundevil67

That makes A LOT of sense - because there was a long delay with shipping, and I heard that it was in customs for a very long time. I am sure it was humid as well. Also the guy at my body shop said that the box was all crushed when it arrived.
Old 08-15-2005, 09:49 PM
taurran

I was considering getting the Veilside version 2 hood. Sucks to hear all of this, I thought veilside was one of the higher quality manufacturers out there. The Seibon is actually the knockoff of the veilside for christs sake!!! This has to have been some unfortunate mishap in shipping.

I think I'll wait until later to buy the V2 hood, and I'll definitely be getting it through a vendor like IntensePower in case I have any problems.
Old 08-16-2005, 12:25 PM
LaidbackRacr

Originally Posted by taurran
I was considering getting the Veilside version 2 hood. Sucks to hear all of this, I thought veilside was one of the higher quality manufacturers out there. The Seibon is actually the knockoff of the veilside for christs sake!!! This has to have been some unfortunate mishap in shipping.

I think I'll wait until later to buy the V2 hood, and I'll definitely be getting it through a vendor like IntensePower in case I have any problems.
Even then you still have to pay for shipping back to them and again for shipping back to you, trust me bad body kits are a nightmare no matter where you purchase them from.
Old 08-16-2005, 05:08 PM
gringott

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Every time I think I'll buy a hood someone posts with another nightmare.

I was ready to order a Veilside.

Now, I give up.
Old 08-16-2005, 05:33 PM
charlie_rdstr_Z

Get a replica.
Old 08-16-2005, 05:51 PM
Srivero297

Originally Posted by Bubble
still have it? thought you sell off long time ago.
nope, theyre up on my shelf right now.
I just havent got around to installing them because I bought them right AFTER my car came back from the shop when I installed the hood, wing, and fenders.
I guess I will just hold them until I buy my full kit and have everything thrown on together to save some money.
Old 08-16-2005, 07:21 PM
Bubble
-REPLICA ARMY-

i wonder how the mirror look like on the Z. Have any picture?
Old 08-16-2005, 08:32 PM
swifty949

Even then you still have to pay for shipping back to them and again for shipping back to you, trust me bad body kits are a nightmare no matter where you purchase them from.

not if its defective, vs will pick up shipping costs. not your fault if it fits bad.
Old 08-16-2005, 09:43 PM
sundevil67

I am not spending dime 1 on shipping; there are only two options I will accept - they will either replace this hood with one of better quality that actually fits, or they will refund my money in full through the dealer I ordered it from. There is one other possibility; someone at the body shop offered to buy it from me, and I might do that just to avoid any more hassle. I am super pissed though, and I will judge judy his *** if he tries to offer any option other than these two. The part that really stinks is that I was getting basically the whole car painted already and was going to save money on the hood painting - now if I get a replacement I am going to have to spend more in labor and additional repeat painting that I wouldn't have to do if this thing wasn't messed up. I can't accept that aftermarket body kits just aren't as good or polished as OEM; I've installed a spoiler from Stillen that looks great, and my body shop says that they do these things all the time. While most pieces require some finishing, a hood should actually fit without being bent up.
Old 08-17-2005, 05:34 PM
xsmallpaulx

hey on the vented hoods how do you keep water from getting into your engine bay when it rains or you wash your car?

Quick Reply: Veilside Version 3 Hood