MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion

MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion (https://my350z.com/forum/)
-   Exterior & Interior (https://my350z.com/forum/exterior-and-interior-51/)
-   -   Is it hard to match paint for PPW on bodykits? (https://my350z.com/forum/exterior-and-interior/150176-is-it-hard-to-match-paint-for-ppw-on-bodykits.html)

Diesel350 10-26-2005 11:11 AM

Is it hard to match paint for PPW on bodykits?

Or does it just depend on how good the shop is? I've seen some bodykits on this site and the color was just way off.

BJF2K 10-26-2005 12:04 PM

depend on how good the shop is...

Phatmitzu 10-26-2005 12:05 PM

Yes. It is pretty difficult to match the paint because the shades of the pearl on the white is hard to control. Take it to a good shop if you want a decent job done.

Mine came out pretty good...but I paid a bundle for it.

Pix
https://my350z.com/forum/media-share/148819-twins-no-not-that-twins-d.html

kokicubano 10-26-2005 03:33 PM

Has anyone had any luck with a Ultra Yellow body kit. I am really worried about matching. Sorry for hijacking this thread.

Diesel350 10-26-2005 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by Phatmitzu
Yes. It is pretty difficult to match the paint because the shades of the pearl on the white is hard to control. Take it to a good shop if you want a decent job done.

Mine came out pretty good...but I paid a bundle for it.

Pix
https://my350z.com/forum/showthread.php?t=148819

Looks pretty good. Do you mind if I ask how much you paid?

Rickdogg 10-26-2005 04:58 PM

White is very hard to match. Even a good shop may be slightly off

SkiTTlez 10-26-2005 05:35 PM

each color has several "variations", each very very close. a good shop can take your paint code and something like a splash guard or gas door and match perfectly. you can't just pull the paint code and go with it. i learned alot from having my body kit paited this week from the shop i used.

primecut 10-26-2005 05:48 PM

I have an LS as well and I took it to a very reputable shop and they still couldn't match it. :( You can tell it's off, especially in the sun, where you can tell it's a different shade. And they did try to match it to the color of my car. So I'd have to say that with aftermarket it's hard to match, except if your car is black.

Nice rims Phatmitzu ;) Even on those pix I can tell the white on the skirts are a different shade. Doh.

Bubble 10-26-2005 05:51 PM

tell them to use PPG paint. 99% match.

SkiTTlez 10-27-2005 04:50 AM

Originally Posted by primecut
I have an LS as well and I took it to a very reputable shop and they still couldn't match it. :( You can tell it's off, especially in the sun, where you can tell it's a different shade. And they did try to match it to the color of my car. So I'd have to say that with aftermarket it's hard to match, except if your car is black.

Nice rims Phatmitzu ;) Even on those pix I can tell the white on the skirts are a different shade. Doh.

WOW that sucks man. my body shop told me that LS had the fewest variations (3) and it was the easiest of the Z's colors to match. mine came out perfect, will post pics when i get her cleaned up.

Phatmitzu 10-27-2005 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by Diesel350
Looks pretty good. Do you mind if I ask how much you paid?

~ $1800.

Zivman 10-27-2005 08:22 AM

my brother is a body man and painter. I can tell you that it all comes down to the skill of the painter. Certain brands of paint may be easier to match, but going with a certain brand paint does not garauntee a match.

White is usually the hardest paint to match. Most colors on the Z are difficult because of the amount of pearl in it. Just make sure you take your car to a reputable shop and tell them that they will need to repaint if you are unhappy with the color. Most good shops will do numerous test panels to match the paint before they paint the car, so they should be able to tell you before the car is painted how well they can match the paint.

Diesel350 10-27-2005 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by Phatmitzu
~ $1800.

Ouch :eek: :icon11:

JisNis 10-27-2005 08:34 AM

My car is PPW and I was in a recent car accident. My car is at the bodyshop right now and I am having the same concerns as you. He said PPW is hard to match but nobody will match it perfectly. He says that paint turns out different on certain materials. Say metal and plastic (bumpers). It will be off slightly. If you look at your stock bumper vs your stock fender you can tell that the bumpers or anything that is plastic will be off slightly. Its more yellowish.

I just hope the bodyshop gets it as close as possible. Im getting the Vertex Half Lip kit and its on back order so the kit will have to be painted after my car is done. This also concerns me. :confused:

Grommit 10-27-2005 10:38 AM

I had nightmares getting my front bumper to match after getting it repainted.

After 5+ weeks at the shop... they decided enough was enough and blended the paint. That's the only way to ensure a good match.

primecut 10-27-2005 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by SkiTTlez
WOW that sucks man. my body shop told me that LS had the fewest variations (3) and it was the easiest of the Z's colors to match. mine came out perfect, will post pics when i get her cleaned up.

Really? That's awesome! But sux for me. Like others mentioned, it's possible that it also depends on the material of the part and color of the base primer as well. In a way I want to re-paint, but it's not obvious enough where I'd wanna go through the trouble...know what I mean? Maybe I'll post some pix so yall can tell me if I'm being paranoid or if it's that bad.

imtiaz 10-27-2005 04:23 PM

PPG is like mad expensive paint, thas what they use on the lambos etc.. .

i think it depends on whose mixing the paint, even with the color code from factory, the right mix is what it really depends on....the right % of color and pearl

Zivman 10-27-2005 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by imtiaz
PPG is like mad expensive paint, thas what they use on the lambos etc.. .

i think it depends on whose mixing the paint, even with the color code from factory, the right mix is what it really depends on....the right % of color and pearl

PPG is not all that expensive. There are many brands made by PPG, some expensive, some not so expensive.