MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion

MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion (https://my350z.com/forum/)
-   Exterior & Interior (https://my350z.com/forum/exterior-and-interior-51/)
-   -   newbie Question (https://my350z.com/forum/exterior-and-interior/150860-newbie-question.html)

milkz33 10-30-2005 02:45 AM

newbie Question

hi, i am waiting for my 2006 Z, and i am researching what kit i want to apply on my Z later.
actually, i have seen some threads in here and i get a question...
What is the difference between glass fiber kit and poly kit...
i know it's pretty stupid question for u guys, hope u not mind to answer that.
thx! ;)

Vamos_Rafael 10-30-2005 02:53 AM

if u have $ buy poly

milkz33 10-30-2005 09:33 AM

hi

but i have checked some kits' price, the poly kit is always cheaper than the glass fibre one, how come?
and which material is heavier?

IceBurnzTT 10-30-2005 10:01 AM

Poly is a replica 90% of the time so the money you save on the kit you spend on the install at the body shop. The weight difference is minimal so I wouldnt base it on that.

milkz33 10-30-2005 12:15 PM

ic~

so the body shop charge more for installing poly? is that mean poly more difficult to install?

IceBurnzTT 10-30-2005 12:17 PM

Well when you have a replica its not perfect so they have to modify it to fit your car properly. Usually trimming things here and there. The charge you for the labor and the fact thats its a pain in their ass to deal with since they cant just pop it on and move on to the next car.

milkz33 10-30-2005 12:43 PM

oh

so which result is better? poly or glass fiber? i heard someone said glass fiber not always prefectly fit to the car.
THX for your replying! :D

meezie 10-30-2005 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by milkz33
so which result is better? poly or glass fiber? i heard someone said glass fiber not always prefectly fit to the car.
THX for your replying! :D

poly has better fitment.

B-Unit 10-30-2005 01:46 PM

You guys have no idea what ur talking about.

Polyurethane has a better casting method for the bumpers. Therefore they are stronger, more flexible, and have very good fitment. Most of the time a poly kit will be the AUTHENTIC kit, either that or FRP, and ABS which also have many of the same properties that go into the production of a quality body kit.

Fiberglass is cheap and hand layed. It is not strong, very inflexible when compared to PU, FRP, or ABS plastic. It costs allot cheaper to make therefore cheaper to sell to the consumer. The fitment with these kits WILL most likely be terrible and require allot of modification for it to fit the car. THey also are more difficult to paint due to the fact that they have many many pinholes in the lay, therefore it will cost you much more to get one painted because the prep work required for it is much more in depth than with the poly kits.

___DJK___ 10-30-2005 02:07 PM

pwnt

milkz33 10-30-2005 03:06 PM

thx

i completely get it!
really thx u guys for such detail explanation~! :)

IceBurnzTT 10-30-2005 03:35 PM

Ok well I'm assuming you arent buying CRAP fiberglass which most kits are made out of. The only fiberglass I've bought were the INGs +1 authentic and Do-Luck so my experience is that those kits are perfect fitment wise whereas I've heard all too many stories of copies made using poly methods that dont fit. Its a per person basis on the topic but the fact of the matter is you get what you pay for in either case. Some replicas are fiberglass of poly yes but in addition we have people making polys of aithentic solid jdm fiberglass bumpers etc. So whos to say which is technically better in the end it really has to do with a comparision of a specific item made in either or. I would buy that companies product and not try and cut corners 9 out of 10 times especially if its a JDM product.