MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion

MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion (https://my350z.com/forum/)
-   Exterior & Interior (https://my350z.com/forum/exterior-and-interior-51/)
-   -   Depo Tail Light Install, Can Anyone Help?? (https://my350z.com/forum/exterior-and-interior/240545-depo-tail-light-install-can-anyone-help.html)

johnnytank 01-03-2007 12:22 PM

Depo Tail Light Install, Can Anyone Help??

3 Attachment(s)
I have a 2003 Touring model and would like to change the rear tail light to my new Depo LED ones but the connection doesn't seem to quite match. Just wondering if anyone knows how to get this to match or if theres some connection I'm missing or if it needs to be done professionally?

Pic 1 shows the 3 holes from the regular bulb and pic 2 & 3 are of the connector for the new tail lights. It has four thin pins as opposed to 3 larger pins on the standard bulb. Any help will be most appreciated.

J.

rrmedicx 01-03-2007 04:41 PM

It looks like the connection they provided fits into the bulb slot of the OEM fitting. Don't disconnect the lead to the old light, just unscrew the bulb recepticle, remove the bulb and connect the new DEPo conector into the old bulb slot.

johnnytank 01-03-2007 07:35 PM

Thanks very much for that. It works great when the brake lights are on but now when the headlights are turned on the rears don't turn on. I tried to put back the OEM lights and turned the headlights on and the rears now don't light up. I think I might be going crazy or the sun might be too bright to see but I'm pretty sure the headlights now do not switch on the rears. Looks like I'll be takin her to the dealer to fix if no one else has any suggestions. Thanks again rrmedicx!

rrmedicx 01-03-2007 07:45 PM

Go back to the light connections and un-plug it and rotate it 180 degrees and re-connect it. Sometimes they are sensitive to position. I've noticed this with some of the LED bulbs. All I can say is give it a try. Let me know if it works.

rrmedicx 01-03-2007 07:46 PM

Check your fuses in the driver footwell. For the tail fuse.

rnbanjao 01-03-2007 08:34 PM

my gf got me one of this light for my bday.. i have an 06 but that thing only made for an 03-05.. maybe a false advertisement cuz some depo lights advertise 03-06.. cuz 06 has led already and it has different socket connections.. but mayne dat light looks really hot on the car.. i really need to do some kind of work for it to get it on my car... no sure if its worth the effort..

phatz33 01-03-2007 08:50 PM

what do these look like? the stock 06 or the clear ones

johnnytank 01-03-2007 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by rnbanjao
my gf got me one of this light for my bday.. i have an 06 but that thing only made for an 03-05.. maybe a false advertisement cuz some depo lights advertise 03-06.. cuz 06 has led already and it has different socket connections.. but mayne dat light looks really hot on the car.. i really need to do some kind of work for it to get it on my car... no sure if its worth the effort..

I think if u got the 06 LED's, stick with em but I got the 03 and want LED's in mine. The shape of the depo tail light is not overly great but I like the look of the LED's.

johnnytank 01-03-2007 10:33 PM

3 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by phatz33
what do these look like? the stock 06 or the clear ones

Neither, its aftermarket LED's. Here are the pics.

johnnytank 01-03-2007 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by rrmedicx
Check your fuses in the driver footwell. For the tail fuse.

Yep check all the fuses and everything ok there. Did the 180 on the connections and jiggled around a bit and still doesn't work. Any more suggestions?

I can't believe that my OEM lights don't work now when I put them back on.

rrmedicx 01-04-2007 05:01 AM

Check to make sure you didn't burn out the bulbs in the stock tail lights. If the fuse is good, the bulbs are good, the connection is solid, and it still doesn't work. Last resort could be a short circuit. Unless your good at tracing wires for possible shorts, take it to a shop...doesn't have to be a dealer, but if the car is new and under warranty go ahead.
Good Luck.

johnnytank 01-05-2007 05:27 AM

Check to make sure you didn't burn out the bulbs in the stock tail lights. If the fuse is good, the bulbs are good, the connection is solid, and it still doesn't work. Last resort could be a short circuit. Unless your good at tracing wires for possible shorts, take it to a shop...doesn't have to be a dealer, but if the car is new and under warranty go ahead.
Good Luck.

I took it to a dealer and found out that a fuse was blown. He told me there are actually 3 areas where there are fuses and not two as shown in the manual. The third is in the engine bay near the battery but it is sneakily under the rubbery covers more towards the front quarter panel. Works a treat now. Thanks for ur help.

johnnytank 01-05-2007 05:44 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Here's the finished product. That's for u Goofy1477.

rrmedicx 01-05-2007 06:34 AM

Its always a good idea to disconect the battery even for some of the more simple electrical changes. Apparently this may have been the cause. Not to say it wouldn't have blown anyway, but I think the chances would be reduced greatly.
The lights look good. I'm thinking about getting the same ones myself. How do the tail lights look - on .(Without stepping on the brakes) Are they even visible. The LED's seem kinda small???

Goofy1477 01-05-2007 09:33 AM

Thankx I might just have to get these.
:)

johnnytank 01-05-2007 01:39 PM

Its always a good idea to disconect the battery even for some of the more simple electrical changes. Apparently this may have been the cause. Not to say it wouldn't have blown anyway, but I think the chances would be reduced greatly.
The lights look good. I'm thinking about getting the same ones myself. How do the tail lights look - on .(Without stepping on the brakes) Are they even visible. The LED's seem kinda small???

Thx. Those pics were without stepping on the brakes. They brighten up a fair amount when I do. LED's are small but they have little reflectors around each LED to enhance the light. There are many dif styles to this and u can get the housing in chrome and a couple other colours.

The lights do stick out a bit from the regular lines of the car but I'm happy with how they light up so I can overlook that.

johnnytank 01-05-2007 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by Goofy1477
Thankx I might just have to get these.
:)

If you like the lines of the Z, I would say to stay away from these. They do tend to stick out from the regular lines but its a different look from the regular Z's and I luv that.

rrmedicx 01-06-2007 02:08 PM

I prefer the carbon look myself. To match the car's theme.

Carlos Parente 01-30-2020 05:38 AM

[CITAÇÃO = johnnytank; 3159165] Aqui está o produto final. Isso é para você, Pateta1477.
As you did, I want to do it on mine too? I need help

travlee 01-30-2020 05:53 AM

Originally Posted by Carlos Parente (Post 11012749)
[CITAÇÃO = johnnytank; 3159165] Aqui está o produto final. Isso é para você, Pateta1477.
As you did, I want to do it on mine too? I need help

he hasnt logged in for 12.5 years.... might be waiting a while for him to answer