MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion

MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion (https://my350z.com/forum/)
-   Exterior & Interior (https://my350z.com/forum/exterior-and-interior-51/)
-   -   New toy: Craftsquare Side Mirrors! (https://my350z.com/forum/exterior-and-interior/279130-new-toy-craftsquare-side-mirrors.html)

Rickdogg 06-14-2007 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by Chebosto
in the other thread you're referring to,

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....ght=autoteknic

other members posted their issues they had with the Autotechnik ones, and the fixes. i've never personally had any looseness issues.

the craftsquares are definately nice mirrors.. a little more than twice the price.. is it 'twice the goodness?' hm. that's subjective to your own opinions..

about that blog, since you posted it up... it's 1 thing to be anal about a 1mm gap where your side mirrors attach to the door, but its kinda hypocritical to then Drive around if your body kit has a cracks and chips.

there are places where one should put effort, and other places where to ignore it.

Ahhh I see so you got lucky or possibly they improved on their quality control by the time you ordered your set who knows? Hopefully it is the latter. Based on my observations especially considering how the CF is laid, the quality of the base, and having that stem that is an eyesore to me personally (on the replicas), it is definitely worth twice the price. If it was a $2,000 part and the replica was a grand then yeah it would definitely make me think twice a bit more, but for the prices we are talking here...having it be "twice the price" is not that big of a deal to me, but like you said that is subjective to each individual. I merely copied and pasted the blog above to provide this forum with more information to improve the site we share and provide the next guy more in depth info so when it is their turn to make their purchase...at least they have as many facts as possible in front of them before hitting that buy button; No more no less.

In regards to the level of tolerance I have or whoever buys these mirrors is once again a subjective topic. However, comparing a body kit to these is not only not logical, but in separate categories especially in my case since I drive my car literally 1 inch off of the ground. So in my case, a body kit is more of a perishable item since it is inevitable that I am going to hit some road debris, speed bumps, driveways, etc. and when compared to the location of where my mirrors sit it naturally is in a different category to me since I don't plan on speed bumps or any of the other obstacles that my body kit faces to be the same enemies or issues that my mirrors will face. Apples and oranges in my case.

buzzardmountain 06-15-2007 05:15 AM

Make sure you show us lots of up close pics of your install Rick......with the screws tightened down all the way....:rolleyes: ;)

:cool:

From your post....

This picture shows the "gap problem" with the replica......

http://og-made.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/06/apr3.jpg

But fails to show pictures of the authentic installed. hmmmmmmmmmm......

Remember, if the authentic has a flaw (god forbid), the replica will as well....

See the gap in the "authentic":

Superhung's "authentic" mirrors......

http://michisfloorco.com/dscf1201.jpg

Adam's installed pics:

http://www.z1auto.com/images/P1010338.jpg
http://www.z1auto.com/images/P1010337.JPG

I noticed the one installed pic in your post is not on a Z......:icon44:

Just wanted to forwarn you, so you wouldn't be disapointed with your "authentic".....and make sure you didn't fall off your soap box in suprise of this issue.....:poke:

D@mn it....if only that "authentic" would've been "perfect"....my replica would've been as well....:icon17:

06MagneticZ 06-15-2007 05:22 AM

Oh is that why you were at West Covina Nissan that day? I recognized you while I was waiting for my oil change. Those look sweet. How much? If you dont mind me asking.

Z1 Performance 06-15-2007 05:23 AM

Originally Posted by widebody350
Sounds good to me. Do you sell these?

Not trying to take your thread OT...BTW thanks for the break down of real vs. fake.

yes. we've been offering these since 2005...I think I might have been the first on these forums to install these. A very nicely made piece, no plastic, very stout, and they are very solid.

they are on our site here:

http://www.z1auto.com/prodmore.asp?m...or&prodid=1478

the point of them? I guess there is the weight difference issue (the versions I have save 5 lbs per side vs stock, so 10 lbs total) - I could car less about that though, as I simply love the look, and having used them on other cars in the past, I liked the increased width visibility as well.

Rickdogg 06-15-2007 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by buzzardmountain
Make sure you show us lots of up close pics of your install Rick......with the screws tightened down all the way....:rolleyes: ;)

:cool:

From your post....

This picture shows the "gap problem" with the replica......

http://og-made.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/06/apr3.jpg

But fails to show pictures of the authentic installed. hmmmmmmmmmm......

Remember, if the authentic has a flaw (god forbid), the replica will as well....

See the gap in the "authentic":

Superhung's "authentic" mirrors......

http://michisfloorco.com/dscf1201.jpg

Adam's installed pics:

http://www.z1auto.com/images/P1010338.jpg
http://www.z1auto.com/images/P1010337.JPG

I noticed the one installed pic in your post is not on a Z......:icon44:

Just wanted to forwarn you, so you wouldn't be disapointed with your "authentic".....and make sure you didn't fall off your soap box in suprise of this issue.....:poke:

D@mn it....if only that "authentic" would've been "perfect"....my replica would've been as well....:icon17:

Like I stated here:

Originally Posted by Rickdogg
I merely copied and pasted the blog above to provide this forum with more information to improve the site we share and provide the next guy more in depth info so when it is their turn to make their purchase...at least they have as many facts as possible in front of them before hitting that buy button; No more no less.

I never said that the authentics were "perfect." Hell I didn't even install them yet, but but I know one thing is for sure is that these will satisfy my personal needs especially since these are the shorter stalk versions which is what I wanted and of course the CF is of much better quailty.

From orignal thread:

That looks pretty nice for a replica. I prefer the ones without the stems coming out of the side on the Craftsquares so I guess I am stuck with paying 6 bills :D

Thanks for the pics SH. I think I am stuck with Craftsquares since I like the style of the mirrors that Adam has without that stem. It makes the mirrors look too high otherwise

Oh no, I love the base since you don't have to drill, but I like this style on Adam's car.

There is no need to get your panties all in a bunch just because you decided to buy the replicas. I never attacked anyone and was just copying and pasting a blog for God sakes. If you somehow feel personally offended by it because you personally decided to make the choice to buy a copy then it is not my problem :rolleyes: ;):icon44: :poke::icon17:

http://www.exelife.com/blog/wp-conte...p-the-copy.jpg

Rickdogg 06-15-2007 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by 06MagneticZ
Oh is that why you were at West Covina Nissan that day? I recognized you while I was waiting for my oil change. Those look sweet. How much? If you dont mind me asking.

Oh cool. You should have said what's up because I don't know what you look like...or else I would have said hi. :) Hit them up if you want pricing. A-spec, Perfornance Nissan, and Z1 Auto also carry this item. :)

buzzardmountain 06-15-2007 09:23 AM

Like I stated here:

I merely copied and pasted the blog above to provide this forum with more information to improve the site we share and provide the next guy more in depth info so when it is their turn to make their purchase...at least they have as many facts as possible in front of them before hitting that buy button; No more no less.

It's when you use the word "facts"....and say things like:

Hmmm, are you talking about the infamous "looseness" the replicas have? I've heard that before somewhere.

Originally Posted by gringott
I posted a simple how to on how to tighten the ball joint on the mirror. It actually is a very simple thing, just use the allen key they gave you. Here is the link.
https://my350z.com/forum/showpost.ph...6&postcount=19

I never said that the authentics were "perfect."

Son.......you imply it every day.:icon14:

I think it's comical and the height of irony, that if the precious authentic would've been perfect, then the replica might've stood a chance at perfection.:icon17:

Hell I didn't even install them yet, but but I know one thing is for sure is that these will satisfy my personal needs especially since these are the shorter stalk versions which is what I wanted and of course the CF is of much better quailty.

And that's all that matters....that they satisfy you....hence the reason no one here wants to, IMO, be preached to. I was just trying to keep you from falling off that soap box when you saw the authentic gap.:icon17:

The shorter stems are IMO a work of art....and the ones I would have preferred. But I have a problem with the bases, whether it's replica or authentic. I think they look like a$$ by themselves, they need to be painted or have some treatment. Hence the reason I chose to go the route I did. I didn't want to have over 8 bills in some side mirrors.

There is no need to get your panties all in a bunch just because you decided to buy the replicas. I never attacked anyone and was just copying and pasting a blog for God sakes. If you somehow feel personally offended by it because you personally decided to make the choice to buy a copy then it is not my problem :rolleyes: ;):icon44: :poke::icon17:

Panties in a bunch? I was just addressing the facts you posted....or the copying and pasting of a blog....or which is it......I guess it's just all in the glasses you choose to look through.

What were the replica problems again?:icon17:

Rickdogg 06-15-2007 09:43 AM

It's when you use the word "facts"....and say things like:

Son.......you imply it every day.:icon14:

I think it's comical and the height of irony, that if the precious authentic would've been perfect, then the replica might've stood a chance at perfection.:icon17:

And that's all that matters....that they satisfy you....hence the reason no one here wants to, IMO, be preached to. I was just trying to keep you from falling off that soap box when you saw the authentic gap.:icon17:

The shorter stems are IMO a work of art....and the ones I would have preferred. But I have a problem with the bases, whether it's replica or authentic. I think they look like a$$ by themselves, they need to be painted or have some treatment. Hence the reason I chose to go the route I did. I didn't want to have over 8 bills in some side mirrors.

Panties in a bunch? I was just addressing the facts you posted....or the copying and pasting of a blog....or which is it......I guess it's just all in the glasses you choose to look through.

What were the replica problems again?:icon17:

I see so you are nitpicking over the word "facts." Okay how about potential problems or issues that may arise from purchasing replica parts? Will that do or should I next day air some Zoloft to help you relax? :icon39:

Well view my posts as you wish, but I have never said that authentic parts are perfect. Nothing rarely ever fits like OEM even if authentic and that is a known fact and typically the quality control gets worse with replica parts.

Of course that is all that matters because it is my parts and my choice. If you don't want to be "preached" to then feel free to hit the back button on your browser or stick your nose in the replica thread. I wasn't asking for your help or concern for my well being as far as falling off of the soap box.

I agree on the base potentially needing some paint or anodizing on most colors on our 350z's, but if you didn't want to spend whatever amount you were quoted...once again will fall under the category of being subjective to each individual.

Yes, your panties are in a bunch. If they weren't you wouldn't have posted. I'm willing to bet money that if you did not have the replicas you wouldn't have felt the need to post and would have went on merrily to another wonderful my350z post without blinking an eye.

The problems of the replicas have been stated in the original thread and of course are not that hard to fix if you are mechanically inclined and once again falls under the category of subjectivity based on an individual's personal preference and needs. However if you want to compare the overall quality get a set of Craftsquare and feel free to draw your own conclusions. I've seen the replicas in person and was not that impressed.

Either way...heading way off topic here.

Z1 Performance 06-15-2007 09:44 AM

actually the genuine ones have no gap at all - there is a small rubber gasket that lines the bottom portion of my mirror, and that serves as the lower "liner" if you will for the mirror, to prevent moisture build up on the inside over time. If you mean the taper that the housing has as it comes to the "point" of the triangle, towards the front of the car, it has to have that taper...otherwise the mirror housing would smack against the a pillar as you opened the door! You can clearly visualize this when you look at the stock mirror and the Craftsquare side by side as the stock mirror "base" is very flat, and thin. The Craftsqaure one is bigger, and contoured to fit the ball joint pivot mechanism.

In the first pics I took of mine, we had not yet "unfolded" this gasket and it got tucked underneath the base by accident, as you can clearly see in the first picture.

When looking at my mirrors as installed on my car, there are no gaps whatsoever - everything lined up as it should have.

Also, the housing has to have a slight angle to it at the bottom in order to "house" the underside of the balljoint rotating assembly.

As for the bases, I love them as they match the material, look and color of the door handles perfectly. However, for those who want contrast, they can be ordered with black bases as well for a small additional charge.

SirSpeedyZ 06-15-2007 09:48 AM

very nice

buzzardmountain 06-15-2007 10:38 AM

I see so you are nitpicking over the word "facts." Okay how about potential problems or issues that may arise from purchasing replica parts? Will that do or should I next day air some Zoloft to help you relax? :icon39:

Well view my posts as you wish, but I have never said that authentic parts are perfect. Nothing rarely ever fits like OEM even if authentic and that is a known fact and typically the quality control gets worse with replica parts.

Of course that is all that matters because it is my parts and my choice. If you don't want to be "preached" to then feel free to hit the back button on your browser or stick your nose in the replica thread. I wasn't asking for your help or concern for my well being as far as falling off of the soap box.

I agree on the base potentially needing some paint or anodizing on most colors on our 350z's, but if you didn't want to spend whatever amount you were quoted...once again will fall under the category of being subjective to each individual.

Yes, your panties are in a bunch. If they weren't you wouldn't have posted. I'm willing to bet money that if you did not have the replicas you wouldn't have felt the need to post and would have went on merrily to another wonderful my350z post without blinking an eye.

The problems of the replicas have been stated in the original thread and of course are not that hard to fix if you are mechanically inclined and once again falls under the category of subjectivity based on an individual's personal preference and needs. However if you want to compare the overall quality get a set of Craftsquare and feel free to draw your own conclusions. I've seen the replicas in person and was not that impressed.

Either way...heading way off topic here.

haha....you still think my "panties are in a bunch"...

Out of all my mods, the mirrors are the only replica on my car. I just disagree with you on how you present your arguement against replica's......IMO, you come off like a jehovah witness....I actually think you do more harm to "your cause" than good.....

I still love these mirrors and can't wait to see them installed.......and also to read any more "facts"....:poke: :icon17: :icon39:

Originally Posted by Z1 Performance
actually the genuine ones have no gap at all - there is a small rubber gasket that lines the bottom portion of my mirror, and that serves as the lower "liner" if you will for the mirror, to prevent moisture build up on the inside over time.

In the first pics I took of mine, we had not yet "unfolded" this gasket and it got tucked underneath the base by accident, as you can clearly see in the first picture

When looking at my mirrors as installed on my car, there are no gaps whatsoever - everything lined up as it should have.

I'd love to see more close-ups of the installed pics with this gasket you refer to. Couldn't find many pictures of your car on the site....not at least this close up view of the mirrors themselves.

Also, the housing has to have a slight angle to it at the bottom in order to "house" the underside of the balljoint rotating assembly.

That's interesting......:icon44: :)

Devil Z 06-15-2007 10:43 AM

Can you just buy the metal piece that holds the mirror? Love that piece but don't like the design of the mirrors themselves.

Z1 Performance 06-15-2007 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by Devil Z
Can you just buy the metal piece that holds the mirror? Love that piece but don't like the design of the mirrors themselves.

what would be the point? the base is useless without the mirror to go with it

Z1 Performance 06-15-2007 10:48 AM

I'd love to see more close-ups of the installed pics with this gasket you refer to. Couldn't find many pictures of your car on the site....not at least this close up view of the mirrors themselves.

I purposely don't post alot of pics on sites because I sorta like keeping the stuff I have to myself lolol :) My car just underwent a huge new round of mods and is about to go in for paint shortly with some new body pieces. Once it's done, we'll post new pics, etc., but I don't want to let the cat out of the bag before its all completed.

buzzardmountain 06-15-2007 10:53 AM

I purposely don't post alot of pics on sites because I sorta like keeping the stuff I have to myself lolol :) My car just underwent a huge new round of mods and is about to go in for paint shortly with some new body pieces. Once it's done, we'll post new pics, etc., but I don't want to let the cat out of the bag before its all completed.

I totally understand.....there just aren't alot of pictures out there of these authentic mirrors installed.

:)

Rickdogg 06-15-2007 10:54 AM

haha....you still think my "panties are in a bunch"...

Out of all my mods, the mirrors are the only replica on my car. I just disagree with you on how you present your arguement against replica's......IMO, you come off like a jehovah witness....I actually think you do more harm to "your cause" than good.....

I still love these mirrors and can't wait to see them installed.......and also to read any more "facts"....:poke: :icon17: :icon39:

LOL you're such a jack-azz. :) I stick to my guns what can I say. :icon39: I will post pics of it installed.

Devil Z 06-15-2007 10:58 AM

Why do you think Rickdogg's car is used for more internet impersonations LOL. :icon18:

buzzardmountain 06-15-2007 01:07 PM

LOL you're such a jack-azz. :) I stick to my guns what can I say. :icon39: I will post pics of it installed.

:tip:

TayTaythatsme04 06-28-2007 02:43 PM

pics Rick ?

T

Rickdogg 06-28-2007 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by TayTaythatsme04
pics Rick ?

T

My car will be at the meet :)