MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion

MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion (https://my350z.com/forum/)
-   Exterior & Interior (https://my350z.com/forum/exterior-and-interior-51/)
-   -   3M clear bra film (https://my350z.com/forum/exterior-and-interior/410332-3m-clear-bra-film.html)

spinviper 01-13-2009 10:51 PM

3M clear bra film

I heard some people say if I want to get rid of rock chips, I should do 3M clear bra film on my front bumper.
So is any one here experienced clear bar ? Is it good ? Will it hurt the paint when I remove it ? Is it nook nice ?

Thank in advance for all inputs.

Redline_Burner 01-13-2009 11:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I'm not going to knock you for not using the search function, but someone after me will I can guarantee you.

Anyway, the 3M bra will NOT get rid of existing rock chips. The ideal situation is to have it installed the same day you get your brand new car so that the paint can be protected. Luckily I was able to take advantage of this on my 07 Redline. The installer I had put it on is about 90 miles from me, that was the most nerve wracking drive ever. Now that it is on I've been driving around with the gravel from winter road conditions in Oregon pelting it and not a single rock chip to be found. I swear by this stuff, but like I said, it's not a solution to existing chips, just protection from new ones.

However, the same installer had me bring in my dad's Black 07 Lexus IS 350 that had been on the road for about 6 months and had accumulated quite a few chips as well as a clear coat scratch from a branch that fell in front of him while driving. The installer used touch up paint EXTREMELY carefully to fill in the chips and polished the heck out of it, THEN put the clear bra on and it looked like a brand new car. Upon close inspection you can see the small divots left where the rock chips were, but no color change because of the nice job with the touch up paint.

There's my story. 3M FTW, just make sure you have a good installer that will recondition your bumper and mirrors a bit before they install the clear bra. Don't think about it, get the clear bra on TOMORROW

Edit: I missed your question about hurting the paint when you remove it. I've worked with this clear film in the bicycle industry in the past, it will not be something you want to remove by yourself. The adhesive gets pretty messy when you try to take it off. Definitely would need to be done by a professional, but there should be no reason it would hurt or your paint. But for that matter, there should be no reason you need to get it taken off since this stuff basically heals itself from small marks once it sits in the sunshine for a few hours.

Here's a picture of the nose of my car. It does have the clear bra on it believe it or not. It has a seam where the bra ends about 14" up the hood.

Attachment 445961

spinviper 01-13-2009 11:23 PM

I bought a new body kit and it being paint now.

Wow the picture look so nice, and shinny.
Do you mind tell me how much is it ?

Redline_Burner 01-13-2009 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by spinviper (Post 6805843)
I bought a new body kit and it being paint now.

In that case, put the clear bra on. No BS. You should be able to get it installed for between $700 - $800. Worth every penny. I've seen people pay more, but you should be able to get it for this. There's a warranty included, my mirrors are wrapped and so are my door edges to protect from zippers and buttons chipping the edges.

finalforce 01-14-2009 12:55 AM

+1 I got mine installed when I first bought my car (I did mine by myself). Not a single scratch, chip, or dent on my front bumper, headlights, hood, fenders, or mirrors. Very good investment.

PunkyZ 01-14-2009 09:46 AM

i personnaly install this film made by 3M in many new car dealers. but there's 2 generation of this product. you can ask for the new one, 'cause it's clearer and garanteed of "yellowing" for 10 years (if well installed and washed) than the older version. the maintenance is so easy, just polish your film while polishing your car and the result is instantly seen. while polishing, it's clearing. when a film is becoming yellow, it is because it's dirty, not old.
BUT 800$ is too expensive, i'd do a 350z front bumper, hood and headlights for like 500$ max here in canada !

Redline_Burner 01-14-2009 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by PunkyZ (Post 6807437)
BUT 800$ is too expensive, i'd do a 350z front bumper, hood and headlights for like 500$ max here in canada !

That's cool that you can do it for that cheap. But like was said at the beginning, this is most definitely a repost. And from the research I did before having mine installed I know that $800 is at the low end of what people have been paying for a professional installation of this product. :gotowned:

AznKaos15 01-14-2009 05:56 PM

I had mine done, well worth it.
As for hurting the paint... as long as the paint was not damaged prior to the bra going on, you should be fine.
If you already have rock chips, there is a chance that the paint may come up with it when removed.
I had the piece on the hood redone.
As for the residue, there were hardly any residue left over. The residue was mainly around the edge where the bra wrapped over and it was very easy to clean off.
BTW, mine is Venture Shield, not 3M.
$550 for bumper, hood, fenders, headlamps, and mirrors.

jgregory124 01-14-2009 06:05 PM

Ive got one and would do it again in a minute......worth the money to me

Redline_Burner 01-14-2009 07:46 PM

I've got the venture shield as well. I just tend to think of these kind of products as 3M stuff at all times. Haha

PunkyZ 01-15-2009 06:01 AM

haha just remember the price. and down here, that's the price for professional installation with car life time warranty.

Redline_Burner 01-15-2009 06:37 AM

Originally Posted by PunkyZ (Post 6811668)
haha just remember the price. and down here, that's the price for professional installation with car life time warranty.

And the price is totally worth it. Think of the price of having your aluminum hood and front bumper repainted

PunkyZ 01-15-2009 09:11 AM

^ right on !

Andy@Performance 01-15-2009 10:15 AM

www.starshieldarmor.com - the best in the business.

PunkyZ 01-15-2009 10:48 AM

in your area
we should need a competition :)

Andy@Performance 01-15-2009 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by PunkyZ (Post 6813180)
in your area :icon18:

The OP IS from my area. :icon18:

III 04-17-2010 01:31 PM

Anyone have a good way to remove the clear bra's i have them over my headlights and they are all scratched up...

Zenica 04-17-2010 05:54 PM

I have my entire hood, front bumper and entire front fenders covered.
I had the roof, headlights and mirrors also done. The windshield is next...

It won't do anything for existing chips but will sure help resist future chips.

EDIT:

I went with 3M and paid $1,300 but remember, no halfsies here, the entire hood
and related panels are covered. The doors and rear quarter will be done with the
windshield down the road. I had to choose between that and the iPad 3G.

iPad won.

XPEL Tech 06-05-2010 03:12 PM

XPEL Paint Protection

If you are considering paint protection for your car I would encourage you to visit our site at http://www.xpel.com.

Our facebook page http://www.xpel.com/facebook will also show several examples of clean installs as well. If you are looking for a dealer in your area just visit our home page and enter your zip code.

cf350zr1 06-05-2010 03:53 PM

after 3 years I took off my clear bra , i needed to paint my bumper to match the rest of the car