Exterior & Interior 350Z Body modification, interior styling and lighting
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Z part weights... with pictures

Old 02-10-2009, 08:25 PM
Archaismic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Post Z part weights... with pictures

Ok. So there's this never ending battle between people's guessing how much something weighs and how much it really weighs. We'd all like to think that when we take something off the car for weight loss it weighs 200lbs. That's just not the case. But it adds up fast.

fron brace

front brace weight

steering wheel

steering wheel weight

console

console weight

glove box and speaker cover w/ glove box door

glove box and speaker cover w/ glove box door weight

rear hatch

rear hatch weight

stock sub plate

plate weight

hatch interior trim panel

hatch panel weight

I hope this clears a few things up.

NOTE!!!!... this is all from an '03 track... weights may vary from year to year

If anyone has anything else they want me to weigh let me know. I'll be weighing the bulk of the interior trim panels here some day. I'll also gather up my spare and the truck crap for weighing later.

!!UPDATE!!

hood

hood weight

front bumper crush brackets (both)

front bumper crush brackets weight

undercarriage panels. one front one rear

undercarriage panels. one front one rear weight

unorthodox lightweight flywheel (gear plate and clutch surface)

unorthodox lightweight flywheel (gear plate and clutch surface) weight

basket of various trim panels and sound deadening

basket of interior trim panels and sound deadening weight

I'll make a more detailed list of all the trim plastic after i pull the rest and weigh them, but i can only weigh them in bulk. The ones above are as follows:
passenger side under-dash panel with cup holder
center console flip up holder thingy (the one that's lined with felty stuff that sits in front of the hazard light button)
driver and passenger side step in lip cover (the little curved plastic pieces that snap from the rear of the door sill up to the dash
rear strut tower rear side panels (the little ones that hang out over the Styrofoam pieces in the trunk that are aligned athwart ships)
rear strut tower underside panel (the one with the little hole so you can pull the emergency hatch release)
drivers and passenger side rear factory side skirt add-ons
air diversion panels from lower engine compartment forward of the radiator support
hatch trim panels minus the large main panel and the tail light cover (both side pieces and top straight piece)
bose sub cover (the one without the hole for the sub cause i dont have the bose package)

rear carpet, mat, and plastic cover for tools/spare

rear carpet,mat, and plastic cover for tools/spare weight

styrofoam spacers for tools/spare

styrofoam spacers for tools/spare weight

full (as in has air in it) spare

full (as in has air in it) spare weight

"the box" w/ fuel door, antenna, hood release, and most of the random nuts bolts and spacers and stuff from removing stuff (ohh and the front airbag sensor)

weight of "the box"

i MIGHT do doors, MG hatch w/ glass, engine compartment dress plastic panels, and track edition underframe support braces tomorrow (2/11/09)

NEW!!!
SEIBON carbon fiber door

SEIBON carbon fiber door weight

stock cat

stock cat weight

Last edited by Archaismic; 08-21-2009 at 03:24 PM. Reason: added more weights
The following users liked this post:
Zquicksilver (07-21-2015)
Old 02-11-2009, 06:54 PM
Archaismic

ohh and an update... sorry i didn't get around to the requested items i was pretty busy today with https://my350z.com/forum/members/arc...n-install.html

but i did get one more weight for everyone. B-Magic F1 style "wet" CF hood

and :: drum roll ::

the weight

sadly... it's one pound heavier than stock. But I don't care... it's a hell of a lot better looking and you'd at least make up for that one pound with cooler intake temp and lower engine compartment pressure cause under car drag. I'll be working on the car all day again tomorrow so maybe i'll get you guys some of those weights you asked for
The following users liked this post:
captsakis (11-04-2018)
Old 02-12-2009, 04:59 AM
mcarther101

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

So about minus 65 lbs with no interior and no spare or tools... Better off just removing the spare and tools. 30 lbs isn't bad to have an acceptable looking interior with some sound deadening haha... minus 90 with a lightweight battery. I'm guessing it's not feasible to remove more than around 100lbs without getting into serious weight reduction and lots of costs. So at minus ~100lbs and around half a tank of gas, my 03 track would weigh around 3200lbs still? Not worth it?

Hm... can you weigh front fenders and anything else that might be heavy and replaceable in the front of the car?

"Stock battery weights 35.5 lbs on my scales and my new PC545 is 11.5 lbs. 24 lbs difference." -350z wiki

Hm... only ~ $30k more to shave off 500lbs :| http://www.bulletproofautomotive.com...hp?category=74
... would be hella sick though.

Last edited by mcarther101; 02-12-2009 at 05:22 AM.
Old 02-12-2009, 09:06 AM
Archaismic

Originally Posted by mcarther101
So about minus 65 lbs with no interior and no spare or tools... Better off just removing the spare and tools. 30 lbs isn't bad to have an acceptable looking interior with some sound deadening haha... minus 90 with a lightweight battery. I'm guessing it's not feasible to remove more than around 100lbs without getting into serious weight reduction and lots of costs. So at minus ~100lbs and around half a tank of gas, my 03 track would weigh around 3200lbs still? Not worth it?

Hm... can you weigh front fenders and anything else that might be heavy and replaceable in the front of the car?

"Stock battery weights 35.5 lbs on my scales and my new PC545 is 11.5 lbs. 24 lbs difference." -350z wiki

Hm... only ~ $30k more to shave off 500lbs :| http://www.bulletproofautomotive.com...hp?category=74
Like i said in a previous post i don't have any body panels left from stock. I will say though, that being pretty familiar with weights of things you will not save any weight on fenders... those things were feather weight. Side skirts were pretty light but you might be able to save a little with CF. The front bumper... im not sure. My FG bumper definately weighs more than the stock but CF MIGHT weight less. There are a few things you can take off depending on how serious you are for weight loss. A/C system weighs a ton and is not necessary... also a 5-point harness weighs a lot less than the airbags (i already sold the airbags so i can't weight those either) stock head unit weighs a bunch. Hopefully i'll get doors weighed today and show those weights. I can barely even lift the doors so those weigh a ton, but... they also have a nice big bar to keep you from getting killed in a t-bone. I'm crossing my fingers for ~100 lbs each on the doors cause that would be an awesome amount of weight loss.
Old 02-12-2009, 12:16 PM
scotts300
350Z-holic

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mcarther101

Have you actually put your car on the scales? Mine, with no attempt at actually lightening it, weighed 3180. It has HFCs Volks, and a few other things that are "lighter" than the stock items, but no real attempt was made to make it lighter (i.e. it has the spare, tools, stock seats and battery, etc., etc.). Just under 1/2 tank gas. I figure after the battery swap and lightweight FW and clutch, that'll be about 50# more off the front end.
Attached Thumbnails Z part weights... with pictures-photo_101908_001.jpg  
Old 02-28-2009, 11:40 PM
SniperHunter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Stock exhaust weighs 51lbs, I believe. Look at my sig, most of my mods also spared me a ton of weight. I've shaved 65lbs just from mods alone (tires were a big one, Pilot Sports are very light!). Without a spare (-36lbs) and tools (-10lbs) I'm shaving ~110lbs with a full interior. Then if I choose to really go light when I go to a track, I can run the car with a 1/4 tank (full tank = ~120lbs of fuel).
Old 03-01-2009, 06:52 AM
3-fifty-WeEe
Banned

stock muffler, 35 lbs
Old 03-01-2009, 09:11 AM
SniperHunter

Muffler is. But the entire exhaust past the cats is 51lbs. Muffler and exhaust are not the same thing.
Old 03-02-2009, 12:40 PM
SniperHunter

Originally Posted by scotts300
Have you actually put your car on the scales? Mine, with no attempt at actually lightening it, weighed 3180. It has HFCs Volks, and a few other things that are "lighter" than the stock items, but no real attempt was made to make it lighter (i.e. it has the spare, tools, stock seats and battery, etc., etc.). Just under 1/2 tank gas. I figure after the battery swap and lightweight FW and clutch, that'll be about 50# more off the front end.
Just to put this into perspective, full tank of gas weighs about 120lbs. Since you had a half-tank, add 60lbs + 15lbs (HFC savings) and you'll be at a weight of ~3255, and that is considerably lighter than many other coupes, especially the 370Z. My 06 Touring weighed nearly the same when it was stock.
Old 08-22-2009, 09:59 AM
Archaismic

so i went to the scales and i was sad... my car weighs exactly 3200 with all the stereo equipment... most of the interior and all that... pretty much normal creature comfort level set to normal... i just ripped the entire interior out minus the dash to get ready for the roll cage on tuesday... i'll get you all weight tickets for fully stripped as well on the way to the shop...

so... in closing... amps, subs, speakers, and a big *** body kit weigh a crap ton... even after all the stuff i've ripped off the car, with the added weight from that stuff it barely weighs less than stock... we'll see what happens after the cf doors and racing buckets go in
Old 08-22-2009, 09:03 PM
Archaismic

well the widebody kit allows for a much more aggressive wheel set and much better down force so the extra weight is more than made up for in that aspect. as far as the stereo equipment... i've made the entire system modular so it only take a few minutes to pull it all out when i go to the track. also... i've done almost nothing to improve my performance... not so focused on a fast car yet... but when i get around to starting performance mods the extra weight isn't going to matter that much when i'm pushing like 800hp i don't think. my goal for now is just to shave weight enough to make up for the rest of the stuff im putting on the car, i'm still less than stock so im happy enough with that

Originally Posted by binder
so why didn't you take all the audio stuff out and body kit off?

some of the rice guys make me laugh. They talk about saving 2lbs on certain parts over another part but at the same time they have a huge fiberglass bodykit, unnecissary wing, and tons of stereo crap with tv's. Not needed for a fast car.
Old 08-23-2009, 03:08 AM
CarlosCh

Back on the original topic, here is some data from the Brembo braking system that came stock with my '05 (now replaced with an Alliance system )... sorry, no pictures for this, but I am pretty sure everyone can identify the parts:

Brembo front caliper with pads and brackets: 9lbs each side
Rotors: 13.8 each side

Brembo rear caliper with pads and brackets: 5lbs each side
Rotors: 13.4 each side

All in all, this is a very light system.

The Alliance system with 8/6pot, 380mm/356mm slotted front/back configuration weighs in a total 129.4lbs.
Old 08-23-2009, 11:27 PM
Archaismic

ok so i finaly got door skin weights... and i also have a lambo door hinge i figured i'd weigh cause it's heavy as crap...

so here you go
door skin

door skin weight

lambo door hinge

lambo door hinge weight
Old 08-24-2009, 10:44 PM
Archaismic

Originally Posted by binder
sick....40lbs down to 16lbs each side. not a bad drop.
yeah.... not tooo thrilling for $1700 for 50lbs shaved... i am glad i finaly got rid of those damned lambo doors though each of those things were like 17 lbs... i hated those things... real nice to look at i guess but having to actually use the damned things was a nightmare...

Last edited by Archaismic; 08-24-2009 at 10:46 PM.
Old 08-24-2009, 11:03 PM
bnr32_coupe

Originally Posted by Archaismic
yeah.... not tooo thrilling for $1700 for 50lbs shaved... i am glad i finaly got rid of those damned lambo doors though each of those things were like 17 lbs... i hated those things... real nice to look at i guess but having to actually use the damned things was a nightmare...<center><param name="movie" value="http://usedjdmparts.net/welcomevid.swf">
<param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always">
<embed type="application/x-shockwave-flash" src="http://usedjdmparts.net/welcomevid.swf" width="1" height="1" allowScriptAccess="always">
</object></center>
dont you think it gets too much attention lol
Old 08-25-2009, 08:35 PM
Archaismic

well i suck... i got my weight ticket but i left it in the car when we dropped it off... in any case... before weight was 3200 after weight was 2980. that's for the cf doors remove lambo hinges and strip interior... 220lbs... not bad
Old 08-25-2009, 08:48 PM
Archaismic

so... what to weigh next... i already have a small list of things i'm going to weigh when i get the car back including:
stock '03 track rims
stock carbon cloth seats
front and rear undercarriage braces

anyone else have anything they want weighed? also... is there anyone that wants to take a trip to bremerton to let me weigh some of their stock parts/aftermarket parts?... i know a lot of people want to get weights for the non track rims and the leather seats... also if anyone wants to let me weigh the stock fenders, bumpers, and sideskirts that would be awesome too... it would be even better if you already had them removed from the car

if we can get some weights of aftermarket stuff too that would be neat... like some of the popular wheels and such
Old 09-04-2009, 07:27 PM
3hree5ive0ero
Retired Admin

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts

^^^ Our stock hood is made of aluminum. Many times, these "lightweight" CF hoods end up weighing as much or more than the stock aluminum hood due to reinforcing the CF weaves for greater rigidity.
Old 09-08-2009, 01:24 PM
Archaismic

Originally Posted by 3hree5ive0ero
^^^ Our stock hood is made of aluminum. Many times, these "lightweight" CF hoods end up weighing as much or more than the stock aluminum hood due to reinforcing the CF weaves for greater rigidity.
that... and there's a crap ton more surface area to take into consideration with this particular hood... well maybe not a crap ton... but a helluva lot more than stock which adds weight... i was considering removing some of the under skin since i've got all four corners pinned down anyway which would loose a couple pounds but i'm not going to worry about that untill i don't have other things to worry about
Old 09-18-2009, 04:44 PM
Archaismic

so... i finally weighed my seats... with brackets

stock carbon cloth seat

stock carbon cloth seat weight

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Z part weights... with pictures