Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel door fitment?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2014, 06:52 AM
frjr3

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel door fitment?

Hey you guys, was wondering if there were any fitment differences between the years of the Z's as to the fuel door lid?
My metal bracket that locks in place is broken so its just there, no need to push the button to open it. Now I could fix it but the previous owner put a billet gas lid which I do not like so I rather replace and color match.
I see for sale a few on ebay but come from 03,04,05 (my Z is a 08), still fits right?
Old 04-20-2014, 08:22 AM
patrickoneal

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by frjr3
Hey you guys, was wondering if there were any fitment differences between the years of the Z's as to the fuel door lid?
My metal bracket that locks in place is broken so its just there, no need to push the button to open it. Now I could fix it but the previous owner put a billet gas lid which I do not like so I rather replace and color match.
I see for sale a few on ebay but come from 03,04,05 (my Z is a 08), still fits right?
I looked at courtesyparts.com, and they list a bunch of different part numbers covering different years. There were so many, I suspected they were different colors, and that perhaps the years listed were based on color, but courtesy didn't bother to list the color.

If you go to nissanpartszone.com, they do list the colors. Select your model, year, and trim, then select "rear fender and fitting". They seems to have all the colors for $45. The confusing part is that there are two labeled "silver M"(silver metallic, I'd guess).

Being that they're just $45, I'd probably go with a brand new one if I were you. Check your paint code and call or email nissanpartszone, or courtesy, and I'm sure they can get you the correct part.

Also, nissanpartszone shows all the caps applicable to the 2008 model as fitting 2006+ or 2007+. Either the lid is different on newer models, or no colors were produced continuously from 2003-2009.

One more edit: You may need the hinge as well. It's about $5.

Last edited by SR71; 04-20-2014 at 05:50 PM.
Old 04-20-2014, 09:53 AM
frjr3

Awesome! thanks, I havent had too much experience ordering parts so I mainly would use ebay or amazon. Ill probably go through nissanparts, Lid+hinge+gas spring should be it right?
Old 04-20-2014, 10:22 AM
patrickoneal

Originally Posted by frjr3
Awesome! thanks, I havent had too much experience ordering parts so I mainly would use ebay or amazon. Ill probably go through nissanparts, Lid+hinge+gas spring should be it right?
Looking at the diagram at nissanpartszone, it looks like the fuel door assembly includes the gas spring. Someone else could probably correct me, but the 78810 assembly seems to include the 78815 gas spring, as the line goes through it on the diagram.

There is a screw as well, part 78810A on the diagram. You'll need that as well. It seems strange that there is only one screw, but I'll take a look at my 2007 in a bit to double check for you.

Also, if you end up needing some other unforeseen small parts, your local nissan dealer should be able to order and sell to you at the retail price without charging shipping. Another thing to keep in mind is that the dealers can all see each others inventory. When I've needed something small and the dealer by my house doesn't have stock, they've never given me any trouble when I ask if they can check other nearby dealers(it's just a couple of keystrokes for them).

Last edited by SR71; 04-20-2014 at 05:51 PM.
Old 04-20-2014, 10:44 AM
frjr3

I havent really done much to my car so its never been to a dealer ill keep that in mind, I too found it weird it had one screw, I assumed I could maybe salvage the one it currently has with the billet one. It does seem like the 78810 has the gas spring actually. Is the screw for the door to connect to the hinge? or the hinge to the body of the car?

I would think there would be two maybe three screws?

Ill just order extra screws just to be sure

Last edited by SR71; 04-20-2014 at 05:51 PM.
Old 04-20-2014, 12:24 PM
patrickoneal

Sorry I left my house, in an f150, without looking at the fuel door. Mine is a convertible, so it might be different anyway. I'm sure someone else here can post up pictures of their door if you end up with assembly troubles. Or, you could try to find the install instructions for the aftermarket door you have now, and just work backwards.