MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion

MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion (https://my350z.com/forum/)
-   Exterior & Interior (https://my350z.com/forum/exterior-and-interior-51/)
-   -   Audi style LED strips (https://my350z.com/forum/exterior-and-interior/431578-audi-style-led-strips.html)

cheneymatthews 04-26-2009 04:58 PM

carlili4190 04-26-2009 06:07 PM

looks good i just think there should be less LED's and brighter

Hraesvelg 04-26-2009 06:13 PM

Not feeling it. And your Z isn't feeling it either judging by the tears on one of the headlights.

is your Z emo?

0jiggy0 04-26-2009 06:17 PM

not feeling it at all, and up close its not even at all.

JZurita 04-26-2009 06:18 PM

Looks sad. :(

s31t8n8 04-26-2009 06:19 PM

not feeling it either. way too many leds

rcdash 04-26-2009 06:24 PM

The LEDs are not aligned - the result looks poor - sorry. :( Props for effort though and the warning about using the cheap LED strips on the market.

Heat causes the LEDs to fail. You need to manage the heat from the other parts of the headlight. The surface mount LEDs seem to be more commonly used and when used with a heatsink of some kind appear to last...

Xzero 04-26-2009 06:37 PM

Yeah, WAY too many LEDs and they aren`t alligned properly at all. Those poor $1300 headlights.:icon27:

Props to being courageous enough to try this mod on your own though.....

JEKL 04-26-2009 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by cheneymatthews (Post 7255460)
Hey guys, so I thought it was time I ran some things by you all. After reading all the DIY mods on headlights I decided I wanted to add a string of leds similar to the new Audi's. My first attempt consisted of one of these flexible strings of LED's, where I drilled an individual hole for each LED bulb along the outer and bottom trim of the internal headlight plastic. This looked really really good for a week. Then one by one each and every LED burned out. I wired them to the city lights and didn't incorporate any fuses or resisters... just straight splice off the city light wires so this may have been the problem. Irregardless I'd stay away from the flexible string LED's below inside your headlights.

:banghead: Irregardless is not a word. It is a double negative. So that aint no good word to use.

Oh yeah, an +1 on those lights not being aligned.

cheneymatthews 04-26-2009 06:57 PM

ha. I'll try to get some night pics so you can compare brightness. I definitely agree with you guys on what was mentioned. I honestly didn't post this for opinions.. it was for solutions. So I know captain obvious came out and recognized some mal-alignment issues however from more than 3ft away this is less apparent, and at night completely obscure. The original LED strips had 40 led's per strip, so this was the number of holes i drilled. The super flux LED's that I put in over top of the holes was just to cover the 40 holes I drilled for the strip. If I knew of bigger brighter superflux led's that I could have used, I likely would have went that direction... but for those that have searched, the led's used on the Audi's are tough to come across.

I realize a lot of you guys are all about show cars and perfection... but remember some of us just drive them and add little perks when were bored. So chill a little bit... enjoy the show.

deezz 04-26-2009 06:58 PM

Looks sloppy and not aligned.

cheneymatthews 04-26-2009 07:03 PM

4 Attachment(s)
More ammo for you.

davidv 04-26-2009 07:07 PM

Those are pretty cool. Maybe later some night photos.

JEKL 04-26-2009 07:08 PM

No, you definately deserve some props for trying something new. All ideas had to come from somewhere. :thumbup:

cheneymatthews 04-26-2009 07:12 PM

I'll try to get a night time video for you guys tomorrow... then perhaps one of you can see what you can come up with. I know, I know, I know... it looks sloppy.. i get it, but after doing this you'll be surprised by the attention your car will gather, IRREGARDLESS of the imperfections.

JEKL 04-26-2009 07:16 PM

I take it back, after looking at your audio/video install, I think you need to stop modding and find another hobby. :thumbdn:

https://my350z.com/forum/audio-and-v...-monitors.html

kyx4n 04-26-2009 07:16 PM

nah.. def too many LEDs..
and they are tiny too...

BarefootRacer 04-26-2009 07:20 PM

Looks like some damn Xmas lights man. I would just take them out all together but that's just me. The lights already had 4 LED's in the top corner. What you have done has really cheapened the look of the light.

Volk350 04-26-2009 07:21 PM

looks like garbage, there are plenty of DIY on here and people that have done this with the proper leds that look just like the audi ones...they are not aligned, there are way to many, if you were going for the audi look you didnt get it, and what is that huge dumb T on the front? sorry but if you want to achieve the audi look i would ask people on here who have done it with the right stuff and do it right

deezz 04-26-2009 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by cheneymatthews (Post 7255995)
I'll try to get a night time video for you guys tomorrow... then perhaps one of you can see what you can come up with. I know, I know, I know... it looks sloppy.. i get it, but after doing this you'll be surprised by the attention your car will gather, IRREGARDLESS of the imperfections.

Honestly, I wasn't trying to be harsh. Just honest. It's a good idea, just needs to be executed a little better.