Notices
Exterior & Interior 350Z Body modification, interior styling and lighting
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Horn sound didn't matter to me, but it does now.

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2005, 08:56 AM
Paul350Z
Living in 350Z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Santacruzslick
So, anyone changed them out without having to wire a relay or any other complex wiring? I just wanna be able to un-plug the old ones and plug in the new ones.
Simple as pie. I changed mine out for my Honda when I lived in Australia. The damn kangaroos are as dumb as rabbits and leave much bigger impact marks on your car.

I ran a heavy gauge wire through a fuse from the battery to the +12V side of the relay's armature. The stock horns were tapped into and the line runs to the +12V side of the relay coil, the other side is grounded. From the output of the relay you run heavy wire to the little compressor that comes with the horns. I have a three horn set so you run the tubing to all three. I point the horns downward and to the sides of the car so there hasn't been a problem with water.

The installation ought to take about a half an hour once you figure out where all the moving parts are going to get mounted.

They are loud. They are way loud. If you need to do a "beep-beep" as a courtesy for someone yakking on their cell phone to call their attention to the light which has now been green for four or five seconds it comes out as a blood curdling "HONKKKK! HONKKK!" which generally gets the person to flip you off. In traffic they do work wonders - and generally draw another flip off. In fact, I don't think there's a reaction to them other than a flip off!
Old 05-01-2005, 09:11 AM
Santacruzslick
Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul350Z
Simple as pie. I changed mine out for my Honda when I lived in Australia. The damn kangaroos are as dumb as rabbits and leave much bigger impact marks on your car.

I ran a heavy gauge wire through a fuse from the battery to the +12V side of the relay's armature. The stock horns were tapped into and the line runs to the +12V side of the relay coil, the other side is grounded. From the output of the relay you run heavy wire to the little compressor that comes with the horns. I have a three horn set so you run the tubing to all three. I point the horns downward and to the sides of the car so there hasn't been a problem with water.

The installation ought to take about a half an hour once you figure out where all the moving parts are going to get mounted.

They are loud. They are way loud. If you need to do a "beep-beep" as a courtesy for someone yakking on their cell phone to call their attention to the light which has now been green for four or five seconds it comes out as a blood curdling "HONKKKK! HONKKK!" which generally gets the person to flip you off. In traffic they do work wonders - and generally draw another flip off. In fact, I don't think there's a reaction to them other than a flip off!
LMAO!! But I'm not looking to sound like a SEMI. Just something that can actually be heard by people. I'd rather go with a regular electric horn than an air horn.
Old 05-01-2005, 09:21 AM
Santacruzslick
Veteran

Anyone know the dB put out by the stock horn?
Old 05-01-2005, 10:07 AM
old_s13

funny, this thread is OLD

yes, the first hella horns I posted about back in the day are GREAT, i still run them. the more expnesive ones I sold, i found them useless. even as a highway horn, they are just insufficient. if you need something LOUD, airhorns.. but that is really for highway use only, its way overkill for streets.

i will be honest with you guys, the inexpensive 30 dollar hella horns are more than sufficient for street use, powerful and have a very bmw or mercedes-ish sound to them.. dominant, but not overkill.

if anyone is interested, they can buy them from susquehana.. but we also sell them and have them in stock.

mike / clearcorners.com