Notices
Exterior & Interior 350Z Body modification, interior styling and lighting
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Windshield Tinting?

Old 07-22-2010, 01:10 PM
usmanasif

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am not objecting to the possibility of being completely ignorant. Provide proof and enlighten me. I really need it. As for rain etc. I have noticed that I have no control over it, so I feel fine driving in it, day or night. I just don't willingly have my windshield washers wired in an 'always on' fashion to unnecessarily replicate rain and cloud my vision under otherwise dry conditions.
Old 07-22-2010, 01:32 PM
cheshirecat79

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Light
Old 07-22-2010, 01:40 PM
usmanasif

LOL! Does that really have nothing to do with proving the relationship between window tint % and light transmission or am I ignorant and blind? That would be a really bad double whammy for me.
Old 07-22-2010, 02:18 PM
usmanasif

Guys, I hate sounding like a smartass so I hope you understand that I only have yours and others' safety at heart. I am a fairly new dad so I look at world differently than I used to. In my past life, I would take stuff like this personally but I no longer do. Who cares if I win an argument while someone loses a life? You are free to make decisions for yourself but anytime I see a recognized disregard for others' safety, I cringe to think what would happen if my family was hurt on the road at the hands of such a person and how strongly I would advise them against it if I could turn back time. That's what this is, a proactive time reversal to prevent tomorrow's accidents today. Futile as it may be, it is an attempt anyway. Better to try than not.

Of course window tint affects visibility, that's why it's called window tint. I guess the degree to which it impairs vision isn't as important as the fact that vision is impaired to some degree. None of us could be so naive as to think that a tinted windshield only looks tinted, it doesn't really reduce light transmission all that much. Obviously it does; that's its job.

Be careful out there. Our cars are 1.5 ton guided missiles. Think safe, be safe.

Last edited by usmanasif; 07-22-2010 at 02:23 PM.
Old 07-23-2010, 12:28 PM
cmweed

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by usmanasif
Guys, I hate sounding like a smartass so I hope you understand that I only have yours and others' safety at heart. I am a fairly new dad so I look at world differently than I used to. In my past life, I would take stuff like this personally but I no longer do. Who cares if I win an argument while someone loses a life? You are free to make decisions for yourself but anytime I see a recognized disregard for others' safety, I cringe to think what would happen if my family was hurt on the road at the hands of such a person and how strongly I would advise them against it if I could turn back time. That's what this is, a proactive time reversal to prevent tomorrow's accidents today. Futile as it may be, it is an attempt anyway. Better to try than not.

Of course window tint affects visibility, that's why it's called window tint. I guess the degree to which it impairs vision isn't as important as the fact that vision is impaired to some degree. None of us could be so naive as to think that a tinted windshield only looks tinted, it doesn't really reduce light transmission all that much. Obviously it does; that's its job.

Be careful out there. Our cars are 1.5 ton guided missiles. Think safe, be safe.
No one has said that you were wrong in that 50% tint would block 50% of light. However, the rest of your posts make it sound like you believe 50% tint means 50% less visibility. Obviously this isn't true. What if I told you that 50% light blockage equates to 3-5% less visibility at night, would you feel the same way about tint in that it should never be put on the windshield? If that 5% causes someone to wreck then it sounds like they shouldn't be behind the wheel of a vehicle in the first place. If you live in this ultra safe world, I'm sure you would agree that no one should listen to music or have exhaust on their car because that is hindering ones ability to hear while driving.

The fact of the matter is I can drive around with windshield tint and sunglasses on both during the day and at night with no problems. If I couldn't see at night then I would have ripped it off a long time ago. I understand your position as a dad and would feel the same way if my kids wanted to tint their windshield. Fortunately most of us on here are adults and already have a dad so we don't need you spouting off telling us we are idiots and what we can and can't see. If I get in a wreck and someone sues me for having illegal windshield tint then that is fine, that is a responsibility that I have taken when I purchased it.
Old 07-23-2010, 12:39 PM
cmweed

Originally Posted by cmweed
No one has said that you were wrong in that 50% tint would block 50% of light. However, the rest of your posts make it sound like you believe 50% tint means 50% less visibility. Obviously this isn't true. What if I told you that 50% light blockage equates to 3-5% less visibility at night, would you feel the same way about tint in that it should never be put on the windshield? If that 5% causes someone to wreck then it sounds like they shouldn't be behind the wheel of a vehicle in the first place. If you live in this ultra safe world, I'm sure you would agree that no one should listen to music or have exhaust on their car because that is hindering ones ability to hear while driving, wait it looks like you have exhaust on your car?

The fact of the matter is I can drive around with windshield tint and sunglasses on both during the day and at night with no problems. If I couldn't see at night then I would have ripped it off a long time ago. I understand your position as a dad and would feel the same way if my kids wanted to tint their windshield. Fortunately most of us on here are adults and already have a dad so we don't need you spouting off telling us we are idiots and what we can and can't see. If I get in a wreck and someone sues me for having illegal windshield tint then that is fine, that is a responsibility that I have taken when I purchased it.
Edit: I can only speak for 50% tint which is what I have. Also, from all the tint posts I've seen over the years, never have I seen anyone get 35% or above and then say they couldn't see. Most of these tints typically will read higher than their rating if you were to use the meters cop use.

Here are some pics:

Last edited by cmweed; 07-23-2010 at 02:20 PM.
Old 07-23-2010, 02:39 PM
usmanasif

No one has said that you were wrong in that 50% tint would block 50% of light. However, the rest of your posts make it sound like you believe 50% tint means 50% less visibility. Obviously this isn't true..
That last sentence is completely wrong in light (no pun intended) of the first because in saying so, you are saying that visibility and amount of visible light are independent of each other. If that's your level of intellect, then no matter what I or your dad tell you will have no bearing on your logic. You believe what you believe.

What if I told you that 50% light blockage equates to 3-5% less visibility at night
As measured by what? If the existence of light is what makes us see, then how on earth can "50% blockage" not equate 50% reduction in the light hitting the eye? How can you believe the first part of that sentence and still come up with the second? See what I mean?

The fact of the matter is I can drive around with windshield tint and sunglasses on both during the day and at night with no problems.
Your vision deserves my standing ovation. You are superman and batman put together by God Himself.

If I get in a wreck and someone sues me for having illegal windshield tint then that is fine, that is a responsibility that I have taken when I purchased it.
The actual responsibility you took when you first learned to drive was to watch out for yours and others' safety. If you think getting sued for property damage is bad, trying imagining getting arrested for driving an unsafe vehicle resulting in death.

I guess I have run out of things to say now . Be safe guys, I really mean it.

Last edited by usmanasif; 07-23-2010 at 02:41 PM.
Old 07-23-2010, 03:35 PM
cmweed

Haha made me laugh... all I can say is that I'll continue to live life on dangerous side and I hope you continue to enjoy your car.

To anyone still deciding... my pictures pretty much sum it up, can you handle it?
Old 07-23-2010, 03:42 PM
Toby-22

aw man this looks like my next mod

might go with 35%
Old 07-25-2010, 01:18 PM
ChrisR

Originally Posted by Toby-22
aw man this looks like my next mod

might go with 35%
go with 35% i used to have it with 5% around and had no problems seeing out the windshield never got ticketed for it either. and no one can see you or your passenger which is why i loved itv
Old 07-25-2010, 01:21 PM
ChrisR

old pic. 35% windshield 5% windows . windows were both open
Old 07-25-2010, 04:39 PM
Al Kapwned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by omsin523
nope no problems then again i had 20% all around and tan interior. But, yeah they can be stupid about it just because your tints already dark.
What are window tints?
Old 07-26-2010, 07:33 AM
vex008

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

forget that BS about getting into an accident, and who knows what.
IMO, just as you could get into an accident with tint at night, you could just as easily get into an accident without tint in the day (maybe looking at a hot chick jogging, switching your radio, or something like that)
Do the 35% then if you want it darker, then go darker.
Old 08-07-2010, 02:51 PM
capo190

went with the 35%

hahahahahaha
Old 08-08-2010, 08:47 AM
Armed Ferret

Way to go. Now you're going to crash into every car on the road all at the same time, causing a nuclear holocaust that wipes all life off the face of the planet.

Man you're such a jerk.

(my car came pre-owned with 50% on the windshield, no ill effects)
Old 08-08-2010, 09:37 AM
capo190

Originally Posted by Armed Ferret
Way to go. Now you're going to crash into every car on the road all at the same time, causing a nuclear holocaust that wipes all life off the face of the planet.

Man you're such a jerk.

(my car came pre-owned with 50% on the windshield, no ill effects)
hahaha i kno right? people are crazy

Btw all. I drove it around a lot last night. It really hasn't affected my visiblity at all. Maybe the road is a hint darker? Nothing that will affect my driving. It's more noticeable during sunset hours.

I think it looks great. Makes me literally invisible from all angles. And my passenger too. Which is good
Old 08-08-2010, 01:56 PM
cmweed

Originally Posted by capo190
hahaha i kno right? people are crazy

Btw all. I drove it around a lot last night. It really hasn't affected my visiblity at all. Maybe the road is a hint darker? Nothing that will affect my driving. It's more noticeable during sunset hours.

I think it looks great. Makes me literally invisible from all angles. And my passenger too. Which is good
Congrats knew you would like it!
Old 08-08-2010, 02:31 PM
NoQuestionZ

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Just paint it black with 2 eyeholes.... That would be really BA.... I honestly thought this thread was a joke until i read into it.... I dont know that it would adversely effect your night vision, but i know with 5% on my side windows, i get a pucker factor when the poepoe is around, but i usually have my windows down or i roll them down quickly..... i know as soon as i did the tint on the windshield regardless of %, i would get pulled over... then theyd harass me bout my tails bein smoked and somehow the blacked out emblems having adverse effects too..... IMHO i would keep it stock.....but end of the day its ur car and ur $, so go big or go home!!! LIMO TINT ON THE FRONT FTW!!!!!!
Old 08-08-2010, 02:38 PM
DaProdigy

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ChrisR

old pic. 35% windshield 5% windows . windows were both open
^ O.G. (original guido) lol j/k

anyone know where we can get that polarized mercedes glass as a windshield replacement?
Old 08-09-2010, 05:33 PM
ChrisR

picture is old =( no more mohawk for me