MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion

MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion (https://my350z.com/forum/)
-   Exterior & Interior (https://my350z.com/forum/exterior-and-interior-51/)
-   -   Veilside Underwings (https://my350z.com/forum/exterior-and-interior/501848-veilside-underwings.html)

User 42426 09-28-2010 11:08 PM

Veilside Underwings

Does anyone have instructions or a diy on how to install these? I found one thread on here, but it was with a replica without any predrilled holes. I was mainly wondering if you guys could provide me with some tips/pointers and if I can just install them with 3m tape. I haven't looked behind/under my stock sides, so i don't know if there are bolts there I can use, since the ones I bought never came with any bolts or washers. If you guys who have actually installed them could provide me with what bolts I need, or if I need washers, and how to/how easy it was to install, plz let me know, thanks.

calin 09-28-2010 11:16 PM

It's actually very easy to install these. And you don't need any additional hardware since you use stock bolts that are already under your sideskirts. I believe there are 2 bolts for the front ones and 3 for the back...or the other way around. Just pick up some washers, then take out the stock bolts from under the car and put them back in with the underwings. I wouldn't trust double sided tape alone.

User 42426 09-29-2010 02:40 AM

^^ Thanks man, still helping even without a z haha

Is it really that easy? I only have the stock jack, so I just lift up the car using that, and then unscrew stock bolts and just re-bolt? Do you recommend I also use 3m tape somewhere on the wing?

calin 09-29-2010 02:57 AM

Honestly I don't trust myself doing a lot of work on cars, but I installed these myself on my Z and didn't have any problems. You don't even need to jack the car up as long as you can fit your hand under the sides. just take out those bolts under the side and bolt up the underwings. I believe they're 10mm bolts. You can also add some double sided tape if you want (or if the pieces are a bit lose), but I had mine on the Z for over a year with no tape and they never came lose. As long as you tighten all the bolts well, the pieces should fit pretty snug and not move around.

sry110 09-29-2010 05:36 AM

Installation of the authentic V1 side underwings is about as easy as any mod I've done on the Z. Here is a write-up I sent to another member when he asked me about the installation process:

Installation of the underwings is pretty simple. Mine are the authentic Veilside wings and they fit up perfectly without any adjusting or modification required. Each wing has a flange on the bottom with two thru holes. Those holes line up directly with holes in your OEM sideskirts / frame rails to allow direct bolt up.

My underwings did not come with any mounting hardware and I think the intent is to re-use the OEM screws (holding the sideskirt to the frame). However my opinion was that the OEM screws were not long enough to accommodate the extra thickness of the flange on the underwing, so I took one of the OEM screws to the hardware store and found a longer screw with the same thread. I also bought some washers to go underneath the screw heads to help prevent the fiberglass from cracking when I tightened the screws - but I would still recommend going easy on them. Tighten them until they are snug enough not to walk back out, but that's about it.
(Regarding the screws, I can't remember if they fit into a threaded hole, or if it's just a thru hole in the frame. If it's just a thru hole, you can probably get away with using a similar diameter sheet metal screw, in case you can't match the thread pitch exactly).

On the inner surface of the side portion on the underwings, there are two raised "pads" where I applied 3m trim panel tape. These basically stick the wings to the sideskirts so that they're not being supported by the bottom flanged connection alone. My tip here: cut a long strip of 3m tape and stick the end of it to the raised mounting pad on the wing. Place the tape so that it is going lengthwise with the wing, not up and down. Peel the backing off the portion of the tape that is hanging off the mounting pad, then cut away that portion of tape, leaving behind a "pull tab" of tape backing. Gently position the pull tab so that it comes up over the top and around the outside of the wing (being careful not to expose the remaining tape) and use masking tape to hold the pull tab in place on the outside. Do this for both mounting pads. Then, fit the wing up, screw it into place, and when you are satisfied with the position of the wing you can gently pull out your pull tabs, allowing the remaining 3m tape to adhere to the sideskirt. This way, you can be sure the wing is in the proper position before getting it stuck in place on the sideskirt.

Hopefully this wasn't too confusing....I swear it makes sense when you actually sit down to do it.

Good luck!

35oZephyR 09-29-2010 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by sry110 (Post 8688431)
Installation of the authentic V1 side underwings is about as easy as any mod I've done on the Z. Here is a write-up I sent to another member when he asked me about the installation process:

Installation of the underwings is pretty simple. Mine are the authentic Veilside wings and they fit up perfectly without any adjusting or modification required. Each wing has a flange on the bottom with two thru holes. Those holes line up directly with holes in your OEM sideskirts / frame rails to allow direct bolt up.

My underwings did not come with any mounting hardware and I think the intent is to re-use the OEM screws (holding the sideskirt to the frame). However my opinion was that the OEM screws were not long enough to accommodate the extra thickness of the flange on the underwing, so I took one of the OEM screws to the hardware store and found a longer screw with the same thread. I also bought some washers to go underneath the screw heads to help prevent the fiberglass from cracking when I tightened the screws - but I would still recommend going easy on them. Tighten them until they are snug enough not to walk back out, but that's about it.
(Regarding the screws, I can't remember if they fit into a threaded hole, or if it's just a thru hole in the frame. If it's just a thru hole, you can probably get away with using a similar diameter sheet metal screw, in case you can't match the thread pitch exactly).

On the inner surface of the side portion on the underwings, there are two raised "pads" where I applied 3m trim panel tape. These basically stick the wings to the sideskirts so that they're not being supported by the bottom flanged connection alone. My tip here: cut a long strip of 3m tape and stick the end of it to the raised mounting pad on the wing. Place the tape so that it is going lengthwise with the wing, not up and down. Peel the backing off the portion of the tape that is hanging off the mounting pad, then cut away that portion of tape, leaving behind a "pull tab" of tape backing. Gently position the pull tab so that it comes up over the top and around the outside of the wing (being careful not to expose the remaining tape) and use masking tape to hold the pull tab in place on the outside. Do this for both mounting pads. Then, fit the wing up, screw it into place, and when you are satisfied with the position of the wing you can gently pull out your pull tabs, allowing the remaining 3m tape to adhere to the sideskirt. This way, you can be sure the wing is in the proper position before getting it stuck in place on the sideskirt.

Hopefully this wasn't too confusing....I swear it makes sense when you actually sit down to do it.

Good luck!

^ Vouched.... This is exactly what I did down to the last sentence.

3M tape alone will send these things flying off your car. There is not enough surface area to have them securely fixed.

User 42426 09-29-2010 09:40 AM

Thank you guys so much, good thing I didnt get excited/hasty and just stick it on with 3m tape. I will try this tonight and see how it goes, thanks again.

AdvanZ33 09-29-2010 10:03 AM

The stock bolts were too short for mine so I bought longer ones from the hardware store.

User 42426 09-29-2010 12:14 PM

Took a quick look under the car before I left, and there are three screws along with washers already installed on the stock side skirts. Could I just use those washers? Or do i need to get new ones like you guys said? Or did your guys stocks not come with washers? And I have yet to unscrew the bolt, but about how much longer does the bolt need to be to fit veilside and stock sides?

35oZephyR 09-29-2010 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by stevehl (Post 8689329)
Took a quick look under the car before I left, and there are three screws along with washers already installed on the stock side skirts. Could I just use those washers? Or do i need to get new ones like you guys said? Or did your guys stocks not come with washers? And I have yet to unscrew the bolt, but about how much longer does the bolt need to be to fit veilside and stock sides?

Just unscrew one and take it with you. Your car won't fall apart.

Slip the screw on the Veilside wing and you can basically tell how much more you need. If the washer fits in the new screws then you're golden.

User 42426 09-29-2010 05:48 PM

Don't you need to take the underwings off when you need to put the car on jack stands? Do they get in the way? I am debating if I should put 3m tape on it at all or not, if I need to take them off when I put the car on jack stands. It will be easier just to unbolt/bolt instead of riping off the tape also....

calin 09-29-2010 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by stevehl (Post 8690160)
Don't you need to take the underwings off when you need to put the car on jack stands? Do they get in the way? I am debating if I should put 3m tape on it at all or not, if I need to take them off when I put the car on jack stands. It will be easier just to unbolt/bolt instead of riping off the tape also....

Nope, I've jacked my car up plenty of times with them on :thumbup:

35oZephyR 09-29-2010 06:44 PM

^ yup, just drive on a 2X4 piece of wood or something to give you enough clearance for the jack to slide pass the wings.

calin 09-29-2010 06:48 PM

Just install them already!! :icon17:

User 42426 09-29-2010 07:16 PM

haha ok ok i will. thanks

sry110 09-29-2010 07:39 PM

Keep in mind you won't be able to use the OEM scissor jack in the rear jacking locations, because it will bottom out against the underwings and crack them. In the front you will be ok.

User 42426 09-29-2010 10:18 PM

^^Yea, I used the jack at the front to get better access to the rear underwing.

I just finished installing these, and it was the worst diy ever!!LOL. It didnt seem that hard at all, and not many steps, but for some reason it was just really tedious and time consuming. Obviously I wanted it to look perfect, and was very cautious, but it was by far the hardest diy ive ever done.

SageZ 09-29-2010 11:13 PM

^humbleness is a good character trait:thumbup:

35oZephyR 09-30-2010 08:20 AM

welcome to the world of modifying your Z.

Easiest jobs (where everyone can do in five minutes) will take you five years due to some unforseen snag.

Hardest jobs you know how to do, you can never explain.

sry110 09-30-2010 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by stevehl (Post 8690688)
^^Yea, I used the jack at the front to get better access to the rear underwing.

I just finished installing these, and it was the worst diy ever!!LOL. It didnt seem that hard at all, and not many steps, but for some reason it was just really tedious and time consuming. Obviously I wanted it to look perfect, and was very cautious, but it was by far the hardest diy ive ever done.

I'm actually surprised to hear you had a tough time. When I did mine I found that just tightening the two screws on each wing made them line up perfectly. It was like they were OEM parts. Then I just pulled my tape backing off and pressed each one against the sideskirt for about 30 seconds and was done with it.

At any rate, post up some pics!