Notices
Exterior & Interior 350Z Body modification, interior styling and lighting
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vendor problem (bad bumper) what should I do?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2011, 04:48 PM
RandyK1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vendor problem (bad bumper) what should I do?

Heres the story: Late last year I ordered a Chargespeed replica bumper from a vendor on the fourms. I got the bumper last November and it set in its box in the basement until April of this year because my Z dose not go out in the snow and sleeps all winter long. Early April after all the snow went away I took my Z and the bumper to the body shop for prep, paint and install. The next day the bodyshop called me and told me that the bumper was crap and that they wouldnt fix it and put it on my Z. They know how I like my Z to look and lookin like crap is not it!! They said the bumper is very thin in spots, has huge gaps under the tail lights, has a warp and when lined up with one rear quarter it will not line up with the other. They told me to come get it and return it to where I got it from. The next day I called the vendor, told him what was up and he told me " You know that we get the parts from another vendor, right" I told him that that dosnt matter because I sent my money to him! He told me that he would contact the vendor and see what he could do. He asked me if I wanted another bumper, I told him no because I am not playing games with replica bumpers any more and that I ordered a real Chargespeed bumper the same night I got back from the body shop. He asked me if there was anything else I wanted for my Z and I told him that the only other thing I needed is an 07-08 hood (not C/F). He took my cell # and told me he would call me back in a few days.

Today (3 weeks later) I called him back to see what was going on and he told me that because I had had the bumper for so long that his vendor said all that they could do is have me ship the bumper back (on my dime) and they would give me 80% off of an 07-08 C/F hood. The hood would cost me $280. I told him that that was crazy because if I got a C/F hood I would have to get it painted and that I could buy a OEM 07-08 hood for under $500. If I went with there deal I would be out $592.25 for the crap bumper, $150?? to ship it back plus $280 for a hood. Thats $1022.25 for a C/F hood that is listed for $600 on their website. I told him that I would call him back tomorrow and let him know what I wanted to do.

I did not say what vendor is was and I wont until this gets settled. I told him that plan "B" is to go on the fourms and let everyone know about this and cost him lots of business.

What should I do??? I have to call him back in the next few days and tell him what I want to do. Thanks. Here is a pic of the bumper.
Attached Thumbnails Vendor problem (bad bumper) what should I do?-chargespeed-rep.jpg   Vendor problem (bad bumper) what should I do?-sdc19197.jpg   Vendor problem (bad bumper) what should I do?-sdc19198.jpg  
Old 04-26-2011, 04:59 PM
bagged00

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i work in a collision shop and deal with aftermarket oem parts. this is always a chance you take when buying aftermarket parts. the taillight gaps, theres really not much you can do unless you wanted to mod the bumper to fit. as for being very thin in spots, cant say ive ever heard of the problem. i was actually reading another vendors disclaimer stating to check the bumper when you get it. also states some aftermarket parts may not fit right. i understand both sides of the story and really dont think they're doing to much wrong. i mean it sucks for you no doubt but the only thing i think you could do is sell it as is with someone know whats wrong and willing to deal with the gaps and just leave feedback on the company. sucks to hear but i have a feeling theres no good way this will turn out.
Old 04-26-2011, 05:21 PM
skakemokid

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

how was the bumper stored??? that could of cauesd the warpness of it. and being warped could mess with gaps. Throw some heat on it and see if it does anything.
Old 04-26-2011, 05:33 PM
SparkleCityHop
Living in 350Z

It sounds like the vendor is trying to work with you, even though it's a situation where you bear some of the responsibility as well. I don't think that threatening him with going to the forums and raising a stink is the right way to approach the issue. It's not like he laughed in your face and told you to go fawk yourself or anything. He's trying to work with you to keep you as a happy customer.

I know that you know deep down inside that you should have either test fit the bumper when it came in or waited to buy closer to when you were planning to mount & fit it. Also, having the kit not mounted and stored in an environment that is not temperature contolled is going to affect the warp and fitment like the above person said. Additionally, all kits require some level of body work to match up, prep before painting, etc. Finally, with replica body kits and any other cheap alternatives, you get what you pay for.

I know that it isn't what you want to hear, but you share some of the responsibility in this situation by not doing anything with the kit and not checking it out when you bought it, storing it for an extended period (which alone could have affected the fitment), etc. You should share in some of the "loss" of this situation, because you dropped the ball too, even if you're now not happy with the quality of the kit.

PS: I will agree with you that it looks like crap in the pictures.

Last edited by SparkleCityHop; 04-26-2011 at 05:37 PM.
Old 04-26-2011, 05:34 PM
RandyK1

The bumper was stored in its box in a climate controlled basement. The box was sitting flat on a shelf. As far as selling it, I couldnt stick someone else with this hunk of crap bumper, I wouldnt feel right about it even if I told them what was wrong with it. And I forgot to add that I am also out another $100 for having the bodyshop pull off my bumper, put this one on and then put my bumper back on. There is no way a heat gun will fix those gaps. I think the vendor I got it from should pay for shipping it back and ether give me my money back or give me the hood straight up trade (plus they pay for shipping the bumper back). I am sure that if a vendor is getting things from another vendor they should know if they are selling crap. How long could you stay in business like that. Maybe it was just a one time deal getting a crap bumper but it should still be the vendors fault and not mine.
Old 04-26-2011, 05:35 PM
350Speed

Can you take pix with the hatch open?

I installed the same bumper on my car and required some cutting/grinding on the top of the bumper.

Last edited by 350Speed; 04-26-2011 at 05:37 PM.
Old 04-26-2011, 05:45 PM
SparkleCityHop
Living in 350Z

Originally Posted by RandyK1
The bumper was stored in its box in a climate controlled basement. The box was sitting flat on a shelf.
That would help some, but there may have been pressure/forces on the bumper from it laying flat inside a box for an extended period instead of mounted. Also, it looks like if the top middle was able to be rotated up and forward a bit, that fitment would be much better. That may require some trimming on the back side of the bumper.

No question, a cheap replica is going to require body work and labor to get the fitment spot on. Maybe fitment was marginal already and the laying flat, compressed in a box, and stored for a long period just made it worse. Or maybe you got a crap replica bumper (redundant?).

Anyways, I would recommend working with the vendor and taking into account that you have some level of responsibility yourself for the situation. Good luck OP. I hope that you get it all squared away.
Old 04-26-2011, 05:45 PM
bagged00

sorry guys but id put money on it that storage didnt cause problems with the fitment around the light. like i said i work with aftermarket parts on a regular basis and around the taillights and the corner of the quarter panel are typical areas of concern with aftermarket bumpers. theres no doubt in my mind this is a manufacturing problem. like stated though i dont feel like they should take full responsibility since you sat on the bumper so long.
Old 04-26-2011, 06:31 PM
queensbridge
Banned

There should be a certain period of time where you can and cannot return stuff. In your case be happy he's willing to work with you and not just tell you good luck. I say work with him on this one.
Old 04-26-2011, 06:33 PM
bagged00

do the math. if you keep the bumper youll have 1200 in the bumper and the cf hood plus shipping the cf hood. if you send the bumper back youll have 1022. so he's probably saving you a couble hundred bucks. just sucks cause it doesnt really seem like it. btw 280 is not 80% off 600. thatd be 120, unless the 280 is shipped.

Last edited by bagged00; 04-26-2011 at 06:35 PM.
Old 04-26-2011, 06:44 PM
skakemokid

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what the dude said up there^.. If you would pull the bottom out where its warped, it would fix some of the gaps.
Old 04-26-2011, 06:47 PM
R350Zz33

dtm by any chance?
Old 04-26-2011, 06:57 PM
RandyK1

I know I had it too long before it got put on to the car. I know that some of this is my fault. I am not really good with car stuff like taking the bumper off thats why I have shops do it. With snow on the ground I had no way to get the car to the shop to get the job started until spring. I guess that this pisses me off because I dont have alot of extra cash for car stuff. I have been slowly putting stuff into the Z for the past 3 years now. I have to save up for a part for a while before I can get it. It was my fault to buy a replica part for my baby. I just didnt have $900 for a real Chargespeed bumper at the time. I had to take the money I had saved up to paint and install the bumper and order a real Chargespeed bumper. No more replica parts for me ever!!! Now I have to save up for paint and install again, another 4 months . Plus, If I dont get the hood that the vendor offered me I will be out all the money I spent!! I think the vendor should cover shipping the bumper back (it is a crappy bumper!!)
Old 04-26-2011, 07:03 PM
bagged00

try maybe possibly shipping via greyhound. they may or may not, i believe that they only ship what they can fit into the luggage compartments below the bus.
pulling the bottom bumper my tighten up the gaps on the taillights, but it may push the top of the bumeper in making the taillights stick out further then the bumper.

Last edited by bagged00; 04-26-2011 at 07:05 PM.
Old 04-26-2011, 07:18 PM
RandyK1

I also forgot to add that included in the price I paid was a $75 fee to pre fit the bumper and make sure all was good
Old 04-26-2011, 07:25 PM
SparkleCityHop
Living in 350Z

Originally Posted by RandyK1
I guess that this pisses me off because I dont have alot of extra cash for car stuff. I have been slowly putting stuff into the Z for the past 3 years now. I have to save up for a part for a while before I can get it.
I can sympathize with you, man. Same here on cherishing every dollar that i get to spend on the Z and being careful about where the dollars are going.

I hate that it happened to you and know that emotions can get the best of us in these situations. It sounds like you're putting together your options and coming up with the best next step. It also sounds like it's an expensive lesson, but at least you can swap for the hood or sell the kit to one of the new ricer high school Z owners to recoup some of the money.

Good luck! And on a positive note, just think, the genuine Chargespeed is gonna be so HAWT!!
Old 04-26-2011, 07:27 PM
bagged00

**** all the stuff i see members doing on this forum, most must have serious bank. hell im struggling just trying to get some piaa wheels for a bad *** deal.
Old 04-26-2011, 07:33 PM
RandyK1

Originally Posted by SparkleCityHop
sell the kit to one of the new ricer high school Z owners to recoup some of the money.
I didnt even think of that. High school ricer kids would love to have this nice bumper!! And I wouldnt feel that bad
Old 04-26-2011, 07:33 PM
RandyK1

Originally Posted by SparkleCityHop

Good luck! And on a positive note, just think, the genuine Chargespeed is gonna be so HAWT!!
I am looking forward to it!!
Old 04-26-2011, 07:41 PM
SparkleCityHop
Living in 350Z

I'm a broke ****. I paid $280 shipped for my wheels. That's for all 4, total. Bought from a guy that had em listed on ebay and he had no offers the first 3 times that he listed them, so I low balled him after the last auction ended with no offers. They were practically new and he even sent them in the original boxes.

I also took my time waiting and landed a used, authentic kit for my car already painted in my color so that I could have aero for $300 instead of $3000 (authentic kit + prep + paint). I had to drive all the way to D.C. from South Carolina to pick it up for that price, but work took me within an hour of there, so it was well worth it.

That's the kind of deals that I try to look out for. They do exist. Patience is a necessity for me, since I have to spend money first on my family, and then if anything is left over, I can put some in savings, and finally some into the Z.

/me raises his glass - "To those of us with champagne tastes on a beer budget."

Last edited by SparkleCityHop; 04-26-2011 at 07:43 PM.

Quick Reply: Vendor problem (bad bumper) what should I do?