MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion

MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion (https://my350z.com/forum/)
-   Exterior & Interior (https://my350z.com/forum/exterior-and-interior-51/)
-   -   Seibon CF hoods (https://my350z.com/forum/exterior-and-interior/525527-seibon-cf-hoods.html)

DriftPrettyJah 06-05-2011 04:16 PM

Seibon CF hoods

I'm intrested in purchasing one of the Seibon CF hoods. Can you guys give me some input? Which styles you like and if you have some pics you wanna share that would be helpful! I have heard they don't fit well...true? Any other ideas for hoods feel free to chime in. Also- does anyone else hate Nissan paint? Seems like my stock hood paint chips very
easily..anyone else have this prob? Thx :)

JP Choquette 06-05-2011 04:39 PM

My experience was with Seibon lip kit as opposed to hood. As long as you do your homework and don't need the vendor or Seibon for help you s/b OK. My kit looks wicked now that's it's in place but tech support from Seibon sucked.

Neu Era 06-05-2011 04:41 PM

Fitment is awesome. U just gotta play with it and line it up right.

Z1 Performance 06-05-2011 04:51 PM

if you hate the factory clear you'll hate a carbon hood more...they have no clear whatsoever (just a resin). You would be well advised to use a good, hard clear on any carbon hood you buy if ultimate longevity is your goal. The better the clear you use, the more resistant to chips it will be. The cheaper the clear, the more prone it is to chipping

there are pics of every version on probably every color Z at this point, so you will have to search around

fitment is hit or miss at best, some styles are better than others, and even then, some batches are better than others. We stopped carrying them a while ago as a result of this - just got too much to deal with an Seibon wasn't much help (and we were direct with them). Most styles are heavier than a stock hood (at least on the 03-06 cars), and some interfere with the strut brace, especially if you have a plenum spacer/aftermarket intake manifold

DriftPrettyJah 06-05-2011 05:00 PM

Those were helpful reviews- thank you. And on my stock hood it's not just the clear that chips.. But all the paint right down to the metal. Huge chunks at a time.. But only on the hood is this a problem. So weird. It's never been repainted so it's just bizare. Oh well. Ok so I have an 07. I like the stock look and am not crazy about all the vents that most CF hoods have. If you had you had to pick a hood-what would you guys get? :) I'll take what cha say and start researchig there.. Thx again

Z1 Performance 06-05-2011 05:14 PM

again, it's all about the quality of the paint/clear you have. Either way, the carbon hoods are even more prone to damage, and a rock that may only chip your stock hood can cause a crack in some carbon ones. Most carbon hoods like Seibon are not really carbon at all, but rather fiberglass with a carbon overlay. Their dry carbon hoods are an exception to this

the factory paint and clear Nissan uses isn't all that great. Not horrible, but not terrific. It's fitting for what the car sold for originally however.

OEM 07 + style, I can't help with unfortunately, sorry. Choices for those will be very limiting, and if it were me, I'd spend the money to repaint your stock hood with a quality paint and clear. Unless you like the look of a carbon hood of course (personal taste). On my own car I used PPG Chroma Premier system. Expensive, but very good stuff, and since painting the car in 2007, I have zero chips on my hood (which is fiberglass), and only 1 that I recently found on my bumper. Solved by simple touch up and a detail

ImWeeZzel 06-05-2011 05:32 PM

If you search, you'll see what kinds if hoods are out they're and +1 on constantly maintaining a cf. It its well worth it when it shines though

DriftPrettyJah 06-05-2011 05:46 PM

Thank you again for the reply.. I think I may end up re painting my stock hood. The main reason I was going to get CF was bc I wanted to avoid the rock chips- you can't notice them ( at least I never
Did on my supras CF hood) the way it chips-- I've never seen paint do what it does. The chips r so deep. The car is black- it makes round chips but the circle is white around the edges.. So it's very noticeable. I've never seen paint do this. I can stand it anymore. I'm just afraid if I repaint it- it will happen again. Not really a life changing decision but expensive enough to get a second opinion- so again thank you for the advice :) much appreciated

Lakeside 06-05-2011 06:15 PM

You can also look into an "MCR hood" Top quality! It's a fiberglass hood. I also have an '07 and have to agree with you about the factory paint chipping very easily on the OEM paint/clear. I have my car in the body shop right now to have the hood & fenders refinished. Also, having a better clear coat applied. I should have it back by the end of the week.

http://www.bespokeventures.com/blog/...rrives-in-usa/

Zim

BoomerZ33 06-05-2011 07:08 PM

i've had good luck with seibon hoods so far in terms of fitment :fingersx:

painting your stock might be a better alternative, try covering with a clear bra so you won't have to worry about rock/paint chipping. just a suggestion.

bmccann101 06-06-2011 06:27 AM

ive heard any hood will have a few fitment issues, but i was very surprised my authentic veilside that retailed for over a grand fit so poorly.. its off by a large margin, and youll see they always have a one inch gap at the front.. kinda lame. No, very lame, but oh well. And even being FULL carbion fiber, its only a few lbs lighter than stock, 21 lbs.. most cf hoods come in around 19 lbs. Vents and cooling are really the only benefit, but here in AZ, its worth it.
BTW, Intense will likely charge you 200 to cut ( sand) clear and buff a carbon fiber hood.. you should swing by pavillions saturday car shows sometime and met some of the locals. :)

SA Z-boi 06-06-2011 09:10 AM

My seibon hood fits pretty good. I have have the oem 06-08 style. Due to seibon using a gel coat resin it has turned yellow and I have to reclear it

08NismoZ 06-06-2011 12:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I'm selling mine if you're interested?

https://my350z.com/forum/exterior/52...7-08-used.html

zerafian 06-06-2011 12:03 PM

had a seibon TS hood(HR hood style)...only thing was there was about a pinkys width of space on each side...besides that the hood was a head on fit. Their hood is very high quality and sturdy as well.

zerosec 06-06-2011 12:38 PM

TS Style ftw ;)

dikspiel 06-06-2011 01:52 PM

Fitment is pretty hit or miss with Seibon, VIS, etc...I've had the most success with Asuka hoods but unfortunately they are difficult to get these days.

Vivid Racing 06-06-2011 02:29 PM

If you do decide to go with a Seibon Hood be sure to check out our prices, of if you like I can PM you with a price.

http://www.vividracing.com/catalog/index.php

We have some of the best prices out there!

DriftPrettyJah 06-06-2011 04:57 PM

Vivid Racing!! I remember you guys from track days with Ryan of Wotm and Sadd w/ intense.. SILV stuff.. man those were the days..

DriftPrettyJah 06-06-2011 05:04 PM

BMCCAN man Pav's they still do that stuff? I remember going there 10 yrs ago and then going to scottsdale to look for races! lol.. I miss it.. Harvey from 1st upholstery still out there? I love them :) When I went out there I was driving a supercharged integra...but 10yrs ago.. that was cool. no really! Then went to a supra, lol all the supras, they were gods to me.. a few NSX's, and ALOT of corvettes.. and other crap that was boring. But just the idea of being involved was nice. Take some pics next time you are out there if you can. I would love to see it now. Im in Vermont now so I wont be out there for a bit. JEALOUS!

Lakeside 06-06-2011 05:25 PM

DriftPretty look into this event if you are in VT!

https://my350z.com/forum/north-east/...june-25th.html

I would attend but I have a jet ski event that weekend. :(

Zim

Also look into the Northeast section of the forum for other events.

https://my350z.com/forum/north-east-32/