Notices
Exterior & Interior 350Z Body modification, interior styling and lighting
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

interior paint is peeling off, CF dash kit any good?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2011, 11:28 AM
tommyson30

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default interior paint is peeling off, CF dash kit any good?

Hi, I have an 04 Z, the interior paint started to peel off, and i did some research about CF dash kit, i had bad experience with CF when i bought a pair of pilar B, it peeled off after couple weeks. So I wonder if any of you guys havd the CF dash kit install, is it good? does it last? and where you buy it? thanks a lot
Old 07-28-2011, 11:59 AM
tcho

3m di-noc stuff are pretty good. DIY is pretty easy too, I helped my friend's install it on his civic. Also, there are whole bunch of info around here regarding it. You should check it out.
Old 07-28-2011, 12:05 PM
bmccann101
350Z-holic

Received 399 Likes on 227 Posts

dinoc requires very good prep, and some practice so order extra.. also it REQUIRES primer liquid be brushed on before applying it or it will fail in the heat. its called primer 94.

Real carbon fiber will cost you about a 650 bucks for the cetner, and about a grand for all of it.

The stick on stuff is crap, stay away.

In each case, you need to fully remove the flaking paint w a wire brush etc and get a good surface for whatever you chose to stick to.
Old 07-28-2011, 01:11 PM
JCITY
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Personally had a bad experience with "stick on stuff"?

Originally Posted by bmccann101
dinoc requires very good prep, and some practice so order extra.. also it REQUIRES primer liquid be brushed on before applying it or it will fail in the heat. its called primer 94.

Real carbon fiber will cost you about a 650 bucks for the cetner, and about a grand for all of it.

The stick on stuff is crap, stay away.

In each case, you need to fully remove the flaking paint w a wire brush etc and get a good surface for whatever you chose to stick to.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
The value out this forum is to get FIRST person info on things you need to know.For example,I know little about coil overs...found out what I needed to know here.I've had years of experience wuth carbon fiber(CF).I used/installed different formats of CF in many applications.
If you want to know about CF,I'm your man.I'm here to help.
From your comment(the stick on stuff is crap),you either:
(1)Had it in your car...problems
(2)HEARD that it was inferior..crap.
(3)Honestly,don't really know...but how can the stck on stuff be anny good?
(4)None of the above.

I'm just interested to know...
Old 07-28-2011, 01:41 PM
JCITY
Banned

Thumbs up Cf dash kits

Originally Posted by tommyson30
Hi, I have an 04 Z, the interior paint started to peel off, and i did some research about CF dash kit, i had bad experience with CF when i bought a pair of pilar B, it peeled off after couple weeks. So I wonder if any of you guys havd the CF dash kit install, is it good? does it last? and where you buy it? thanks a lot
First of all,as you may have read by my reply to another poster,I've got a little experience with carbon fiber.
What parts of your interior have peeling paint?This would be a start to see if a dash kit would work for you.
The major thing to remember on CF is,you get what you pay for.Real CF material is expensive unless you buy it in large quantities.
On you dash kit question,I installed a dash kit in my Z 3 years ago.
It looks as good as new.It was a quality product,perfectly cut to fit all the interior pieces.As was mentined,real MOLDED CF pieces that REPLACE a
component are expensive.In addition,if you wanted to do your entire interior as I did,molded parts are only available for certain parts...door panel covers,
shift surround,cubby surround&door etc.If you used a 3-M backed CF
veneer with a urethane coating (as most dash kits are) the pattern may/will not match the molded pieces.As with anything,there are pros&cons.The dash kit product is cost effective,looks authentic because IT IS...carbon fiber material covered with a durable urethane coating.Furthermore,dash kits are easy to install.One trap on the price is what is advertised and what the
FINAL price will be if you specify REAL carbon fiber (RCF code).There will be a 30% mark up due to the material.The surface must be clean...alcohol works great.The cost of a FULL dash kit for a 350Z is between $500-600.
A excellent kit is offered by CARID.
On the new vinyl coverings that have lately become popular.I've seen some applications.The postive on this stuff is it is stretchable..can cover curved surfaces.It does need prep and adhesive to apply.My problem with this
material is its a "photo" of CF duplicated on vinyl...Much like fake wood grain
or a countertop covering.Also,I question the durabilty over time or a scratch
or puncture.In my opinion,its a faux finish...cheap.
As I said,my dash kiyt has been in my Z OVER 3 YRS...NO PROBLEMS..LOOKS NEW.The #1 comment I get from people that see my interior is WOW,that
must of cost----!That carbon fiber stuff costs a mint...

Dash kits done by a good company is really the best of both worlds.

I'd be glad to send you some pics...PM me.
Old 07-28-2011, 02:57 PM
Mr. Nibiru

The real stuff can be found here. At the cost of $1500. If you are gonna do it do it right.
http://www.apsisusa.com/Iindex.htm
Old 07-28-2011, 04:02 PM
JCITY
Banned

Default $1,500?

Originally Posted by Mr. Nibiru
The real stuff can be found here. At the cost of $1500. If you are gonna do it do it right.
Probably more than $1,500.This is quality molded stuff.
A dash kit from a Good company will give you the same real CF plus additional pieces to cover rear speakers,storage doors ,overhead trim etc.
for a third of the price.
Old 07-28-2011, 04:07 PM
JCITY
Banned

Default b pillar problem

More than likely you bought this thin 05 stuff several guys were selling on e-bay...Has a paper backing,not real 3-M adhesive.If you use a flat surface piece without a beveled/rounded edge,must go with thicker material.
z-store/Motorsports handles some good product.The best for the B pillar is the NISMO set.Pricey at about $150...but perfect fit&finish.
Again,get what you pay for!
Old 07-28-2011, 04:08 PM
bmccann101
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by JCITY
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
The value out this forum is to get FIRST person info on things you need to know.For example,I know little about coil overs...found out what I needed to know here.I've had years of experience wuth carbon fiber(CF).I used/installed different formats of CF in many applications.
If you want to know about CF,I'm your man.I'm here to help.
From your comment(the stick on stuff is crap),you either:
(1)Had it in your car...problems
(2)HEARD that it was inferior..crap.
(3)Honestly,don't really know...but how can the stck on stuff be any good?
(4)None of the above.

I'm just interested to know...
JCity.. Uh, ill take door # 4 please..

My entire car is wrapped, think i might know a thing or two about it?
I gone thru the normal progression that most people do, which is buying the lame stuff i could afford, and slowly going all out.

Im sorry, but the flatstick on kits look terrible compared to even just wrapping the parts w, dinoc.. far cheaper then even the stick on kits..and a much more aestheticly pleasing end result.

You will note in some of my pics, you can still see some flat kits parts i left on, like my console arm rest covers and dash vents etc.

What you are telling him is fact yes, and at that .. in great detail.

but the product you are pushing him towards is for Chevy Trucks and girls who want a pink interior to match thier cell phones. Sorry, but thats MHO.
You are entitled to yours as well of course... but when it comes down to it, OP will do what he likes and can afford.

In terms of trial and error, just try me for first hand knowledge on a part, any part...and ive installed and bought them all.. probably TWICE. Ive been around a bit.. wasted alot of cash and found what works well also.

ANyways OP, just google "350z carbon interior" and "350z dinoc interior".. better yet, ill do it for you:

http://any-s.net/350z/rsw.shtml
(high quality carbon fiber..not cheap)

http://www.google.com/search?um=1&hl...l469l0.1.1l2l0

( dinoc adhesive film wrap.. not bad)

aaand ebay flat dash kits.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...og&sa=N&tab=wi

As always......UP TO YOU OP.
Old 07-29-2011, 11:05 AM
tommyson30

thanks a lot for all the info guys.
Old 07-29-2011, 11:14 AM
tommyson30

Thanks a lot for a detail anwser, I saw some kits on e dash kit.com for aroun $200, but there is no review on it.where did you buy your kit? once again thanks much

Originally Posted by JCITY
First of all,as you may have read by my reply to another poster,I've got a little experience with carbon fiber.
What parts of your interior have peeling paint?This would be a start to see if a dash kit would work for you.
The major thing to remember on CF is,you get what you pay for.Real CF material is expensive unless you buy it in large quantities.
On you dash kit question,I installed a dash kit in my Z 3 years ago.
It looks as good as new.It was a quality product,perfectly cut to fit all the interior pieces.As was mentined,real MOLDED CF pieces that REPLACE a
component are expensive.In addition,if you wanted to do your entire interior as I did,molded parts are only available for certain parts...door panel covers,
shift surround,cubby surround&door etc.If you used a 3-M backed CF
veneer with a urethane coating (as most dash kits are) the pattern may/will not match the molded pieces.As with anything,there are pros&cons.The dash kit product is cost effective,looks authentic because IT IS...carbon fiber material covered with a durable urethane coating.Furthermore,dash kits are easy to install.One trap on the price is what is advertised and what the
FINAL price will be if you specify REAL carbon fiber (RCF code).There will be a 30% mark up due to the material.The surface must be clean...alcohol works great.The cost of a FULL dash kit for a 350Z is between $500-600.
A excellent kit is offered by CARID.
On the new vinyl coverings that have lately become popular.I've seen some applications.The postive on this stuff is it is stretchable..can cover curved surfaces.It does need prep and adhesive to apply.My problem with this
material is its a "photo" of CF duplicated on vinyl...Much like fake wood grain
or a countertop covering.Also,I question the durabilty over time or a scratch
or puncture.In my opinion,its a faux finish...cheap.
As I said,my dash kiyt has been in my Z OVER 3 YRS...NO PROBLEMS..LOOKS NEW.The #1 comment I get from people that see my interior is WOW,that
must of cost----!That carbon fiber stuff costs a mint...

Dash kits done by a good company is really the best of both worlds.

I'd be glad to send you some pics...PM me.
Old 07-29-2011, 11:15 AM
tommyson30

Originally Posted by Mr. Nibiru
wow that is more than my budget, but thanks
Old 07-29-2011, 11:22 AM
tommyson30

thanks a lot, i will look more into it.... this is the right place to ask for any 350z questions, i did some google before asking question, and went to another Z forum, but cant get as many helpful info like here

Originally Posted by bmccann101
JCity.. Uh, ill take door # 4 please..

My entire car is wrapped, think i might know a thing or two about it?
I gone thru the normal progression that most people do, which is buying the lame stuff i could afford, and slowly going all out.

Im sorry, but the flatstick on kits look terrible compared to even just wrapping the parts w, dinoc.. far cheaper then even the stick on kits..and a much more aestheticly pleasing end result.

You will note in some of my pics, you can still see some flat kits parts i left on, like my console arm rest covers and dash vents etc.

What you are telling him is fact yes, and at that .. in great detail.

but the product you are pushing him towards is for Chevy Trucks and girls who want a pink interior to match thier cell phones. Sorry, but thats MHO.
You are entitled to yours as well of course... but when it comes down to it, OP will do what he likes and can afford.

In terms of trial and error, just try me for first hand knowledge on a part, any part...and ive installed and bought them all.. probably TWICE. Ive been around a bit.. wasted alot of cash and found what works well also.

ANyways OP, just google "350z carbon interior" and "350z dinoc interior".. better yet, ill do it for you:

http://any-s.net/350z/rsw.shtml
(high quality carbon fiber..not cheap)

http://www.google.com/search?um=1&hl...l469l0.1.1l2l0

( dinoc adhesive film wrap.. not bad)

aaand ebay flat dash kits.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...og&sa=N&tab=wi

As always......UP TO YOU OP.
Old 07-29-2011, 02:54 PM
bmccann101
350Z-holic

yeah most of us are all over this site like white on rice.. far better than facebook ha.

And it looks plain n boring, so no one cares if its on your screen at work.

Most of us are pretty aggressive on here.. word to the wise, always go and find the search, chose "title only" and put in your worlds there... youl find threads on your own there and will keep you from reposting similar questions to existing threads in the future etc.

Welcome.
Old 07-29-2011, 04:17 PM
JCITY
Banned

Thanks a lot for a detail anwser, I saw some kits on e dash kit.com for aroun $200, but there is no review on it.where did you buy your kit? once again thanks much
CARID--(SOUNDS LIKE CAR I.D.)Do a search on this.
As you found out,there are cheap kits out there.These guys have a quality
product.Also,the difference in prices you see are for a dash kit or,a FULL
dash kit.The full kits have parts to cover everything including the overhead
storage/light part.One thing to note,if you go the dash kit route,the center cubbly cover will have a small seam at the bottom.Also,a "Z" cut out in the center.Because the door is a curve(3-d),there has to be some compensation
for the curve.A "Z" insert insert is offered to fill the cut out.Some guys have used a contrasting color(not good in my opinion!).I used the same CF material.By doing this,it gives an embossed look.Plus the pattern of the CF twill matches up perfectly.
PM me your e=mail,I'll send you some pics if you want.

JCITY
Old 07-29-2011, 05:57 PM
Waiz
Premier Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Rather than getting a CF console you could also repaint instead:

https://my350z.com/forum/body-interi...by-guages.html
Old 07-29-2011, 10:44 PM
striker27

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Post of some pics of the kits. I am interested in purchasing one in the next few weeks... They seem to be all out of stock just about every where.