Exterior & Interior 350Z Body modification, interior styling and lighting
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best cheap headlight replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2014, 10:59 PM
savedbygrace

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Best cheap headlight replacement?

Hey all,

I'll keep this short and to the point....the Z I bought came with third party headlights that I'd like to replace. The standard oem lights that I've seen on all other 350z's are far better, on any model of Z I've driven, which is about ten.

I know the 2006 xenons are the best, but that's not an option for me right now.

So..for budget minded shopping...what headlights would you recommend, or bulbs?, to buy that would improve my lighting?

My bulbs are non-HID currently, and one was replaced with a new non-HID bulb a few months ago, definitely saw a slight improvement in the new bulb versus the old bulb, but even still the light output and distance of light beam is far from what I'd call good.

Are any of the knockoffs decent? Any suggestions on what route to go since the Xenons aren't doable?

Definitely trying to find a "good" solution for the cheapest price, so all help is appreciated. Doesn't have to be a permanent long term solution, so if some HID bulbs would do the trick I'd be willing to try em, but I don't have HID ballasts and am confused on whether that for sure stops me from all HID bulbs? (or does it depend on which crappy third party lights I have?)

Thanks, and yes...so much for "keeping this short" Sorry

Saved
Old 01-07-2014, 04:54 AM
Osborn Wu

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

halogen bulb can only gets you so far, if you want better visibility, go HID

and depo does cheap oem knockoff
Old 01-07-2014, 06:40 AM
Diode Dynamics
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I suggest getting a Depo replacement set and then doing a basic HID conversion for increased light output.

Or, you can put HID's in your current setup and get a noticeable increase in output.

Aftermarket headlights typically use a smaller bulb, and the projectors they come with often don't function as well as OEM headlights. That's why I don't recommend them to most people, with few exceptions.

Nick C.
Old 01-07-2014, 11:05 AM
savedbygrace

Thanks you guys...I need the help and really want to get these lights improved soon.

Can all third party headlights take an HID bulb? If not what do I look for in my headlights to be able to tell? My understanding is I can't put in an HID bulb unless I have an HID ballast? Or am I more clueless than I even realize.

How hard is it to replace the headlights on my own if I go the Depo route? I've tinkered here and there and am comfortable diving in, but I'm no mechanic by any means...everything I undertake takes twice as long as the estimates here in this forum as something always comes up...but it's always worth it in the end.

Any recommendations on which HID bulb is the best, or which Depo light?

And Diode Dynamics...do you sell a 9-LED light for the trunk? I don't want to derail my thread but I do also need a new light back there, the kit I just bought from Amazon is great for the interior but the trunk light is no improvement...really want that improved as well since it's a cheap and helpful upgrade.

Thanks again sincerely,

Saved
Old 01-07-2014, 11:12 AM
Jah70

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Get the HID headlights from the 03-2005 enthusiast, touring and track models. Those are pretty cheap nowadays.
Old 01-07-2014, 11:30 AM
KornerCarver

Received 171 Likes on 76 Posts

What year is your car? Which model is it? Why don't you post a picture of your aftermarket lights?
Old 01-07-2014, 12:44 PM
savedbygrace

It's on 04 base model, and you're right to remind me, my intention was to take a picture today of the headlights and post em up tonight.

Thanks for the continued help guys, I'll put up some pics later tonight.

Saved
Old 01-07-2014, 12:51 PM
KornerCarver

You should have the halogen wiring harness so putting in '06+ headlights would require some rewiring and a new plug on your car. I would assume you have the H-7 low beams and the H-1 high beams. You can easily get HID kits in those sizes so you should be able to improve your headlights easily. I have 2003 Base model an I installed an HID kit over 10 years ago. That was when the kits were expensive. I paid $350.00 for the Brightstar kit and tdday the kits are costing between $60-$100.

Last edited by KornerCarver; 01-07-2014 at 12:52 PM.
Old 01-07-2014, 01:01 PM
Diode Dynamics
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm not sure what the wiring is like since you have aftermarket headlights already installed, but if you find a set of stock headlights, they would work better with an HID conversion.

We have all of the LEDs and HID sizing information located here on our site: http://www.diodedynamics.com/store/l...ssan/350z.html

Feel free to PM me or email us: contact@diodedynamics.com with pictures of your current headlight setup and the bulbs installed. An HID conversion will provide your aftermarket headlights with more light output, but not as much as a DEPO OEM replacement or a used OEM setup.

Nick C.
Old 01-07-2014, 10:59 PM
samsniss350z

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

I totally agree with Diode Dynamics, OEM HIDS are a good failsafe way to go. There are aftermarket headlights on the market that have been designed to be aesthetically pleasing and more thought goes into this than making sure that the internal components are up to the job invariably leaving the driver pretty much blind when driving in the dark. Knock-offs as you describe them are just that, something cobbled together with cheap components and you'll regret throwing your good money at bad kit.
Old 01-08-2014, 10:13 AM
savedbygrace

Can I put oem HID's into any third party light? I'll post pics of my headlights later today, sorry about not following through last night...had a lot to do and forgot to snap the pics when there was light.

I'm thinking HID bulbs into my crappy lights would be the easiest fix...and then my backup plan would be that if the HID's are still too dim, then I could buy oem headlights used somewhere and then drop in the HID bulbs I had already bought...BUT....I want to be sure the bulbs I buy can fit both my current lights and my future oem purchase should the oem lights become a necessary purchase.

Saved
Old 01-08-2014, 10:27 AM
KornerCarver

What size bulbs are in your headlights now?
Old 01-08-2014, 01:03 PM
savedbygrace

Here are two pics of my driver side headlight:

I believe the bulb is oem non-HID, at least on the driver side, but I don't know any more than that? 04 coupe, so I'm guessing whatever is stock bulb size? Sorry I can't be more helpful as you're trying to help me...

Hope these pics help, I'm pretty sure these headlights are Junkodimkins 5000 judging by their output.
Attached Thumbnails Best cheap headlight replacement?-headlight-vertical.jpg   Best cheap headlight replacement?-headlight-horizontal.jpg  
Old 01-08-2014, 01:28 PM
KornerCarver

Are you certain those are not OEM lights? They look like stock lights that have had parts painted black. I can clearly see you high beam is an H-1 bulb and I assume the low beams are H-7 bulbs. Here is a pic of my OEM lights and it appears the only difference are the black painted parts. The chrome appears to be really dull and could have been sanded by a previous owner. These lights are reflective so the chrome is very important for light output.
Attached Thumbnails Best cheap headlight replacement?-headlight-small.jpg  

Last edited by KornerCarver; 01-08-2014 at 01:31 PM.
Old 01-08-2014, 07:04 PM
savedbygrace

Hmmmph....you've got me wondering...they do look like oem that's been attacked by a wild grinder....

Never would've even thought that they could be oem they look so bad...thought they were cheap knockoffs for sure, and if they are oem, then yes the loss of chrome has hurt the light output. I wonder if they got abandoned mid-project? They don't look good to me...so I'm not sure what happened if they really are oem.

Is there a sticker on the back of the light, or serial number, that would tell me for sure what I have? Do I have to go in behind my fender liner and physically access the bulb to find out what bulb it is? I do recall a garage replaced a bulb for me after they broke it, and they did say it was an oem non-HID that got put in. I don't know if they gave me an aftermarket bulb or a bulb from the dealership? No idea where the bulb came from as they had to order it locally and I had to swing by hours later after it arrived, then they installed it.

No matter what they are...I really want to replace them and upgrade the light output.

Saved
Old 01-08-2014, 07:05 PM
savedbygrace

Hey real quick...if my lights are oem....how would I check to see if they might have HID ballasts? And no...I don't know what a ballast is.

Saved
Old 01-08-2014, 07:09 PM
savedbygrace

And one more...sorry...brain is very tired...

You asked what size bulbs I have....got me wondering what's the brightest bulb I can put in oem headlights? It looks like I'm going to buy a used set of oem headlights that still have the chrome on them, with HID bulbs and ballasts included, but if I want to replace those bulbs I'm wondering how bright can I go? Any recommendations on bulbs? Longevity isn't my priority, I'd rather have a great bulb even if it meant replacing them more frequently, within reason of course.

Saved
Old 01-09-2014, 04:52 AM
KornerCarver

The Base model did not come from the factory with HID lights. They came with halogen H-7 low beams and H-1 high beams. Assuming your lights are OEM and the wiring was not messed up, you have a different plug than the models that came with HID's from the factory. The simplest thing would be to get a set of OEM halogen lights and then get an HID kit that includes rebassed H-7 bulbs and the ballasts.
Old 01-09-2014, 09:43 AM
savedbygrace

Hey Korner...one more question if I can?

Someone on this forum is helping me by giving me a good deal on some oem lights with HID bulbs and ballast. I'm going to buy them rather than just buy new HID bulbs...so assuming my oem wiring is perfectly intact:

What would I have to buy and/or do to fit the oem HID lights with ballast to my car? Approximate cost of parts needed if you know?

I really want to go this route, and I'm sure I can do the install, just not clear on what's involved yet.

You happen to know any of this info offhand?

Thanks for your help!

Saved
Old 01-09-2014, 10:09 AM
KornerCarver

http://www.**********.com/wiki/index...Headlight_Swap

I think this link will help you but since this site won't allow other sites to be mentioned, you have to replace the ******* with 350zhyphentech. But use a hyphen rather than spelling it out. This is not easy to explain but give it a try, I think you will find the information you need.