MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion

MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion (https://my350z.com/forum/)
-   Exterior & Interior (https://my350z.com/forum/exterior-and-interior-51/)
-   -   Little help finding Air Diversion plate for 07-09 350Z (https://my350z.com/forum/exterior-and-interior/590911-little-help-finding-air-diversion-plate-for-07-09-350z.html)

Chromatic 03-01-2014 01:03 PM

Little help finding Air Diversion plate for 07-09 350Z

Hey guys,

I've been searching everywhere for an Air Diversion Plate that isn't just for the single intake 03-06 350's.

They look something like this:
https://scontent-b-atl.xx.fbcdn.net/...13681556_n.jpg

I have a 2008 350Z,.. and have been searching for quite some time, posting some WTB's a few places.. and no luck so far.

Can anyone help me out here?

Do they make the Air Diversion plates specifically for the Dual intake design VQ35HR motors on the 350Z (07-09)?

If they just don't.. can the 03-06 Designs be modified with a careful hand and dremel to fit and work properly?

I've run across quite a few listings for them labeled as something like Air diversion plate for 03-08 or 03+ .. but they are always, so far, the plates that are built for the 03-6 DE motor designs.

Appreciate any help you can offer .. if you can actually find a definite 07-09 designed Plate, please give me a link.

Thank you,

AdvanZ33 03-01-2014 01:51 PM

03-06 can be modified to work.

JCITY 03-01-2014 04:00 PM

Not aware of a cooling plate made exactly for the dual intakes.However,its easy to modify the single intake units.I've got a friend that has a carbon fiber one on his dual intake.He just cut out the plate to match the other side.With CF its a breeze.You can
finish the cuts with sandpaper.Use magic marker on the edges.Looks great.

Bmurray350z 03-01-2014 06:30 PM

I modified my mishimoto plate to work. Could have done a better job but it doesn't look bad

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3766/1...c9dd9cdb_b.jpg

Chromatic 03-01-2014 08:06 PM

Ok That helps, thanks.

So basically just go find the most inexpensive 03-06 plate and then pull out the dremel and cut the passenger side to fit.. sounds like a plan.

Given it's purpose I'm not looking to spend $100+ on Carbon fiber or any special branding really,.. Though, you are right the modification with carbon fiber would be easier than metal. Probably not $60 easier though..

I think NRG is the cheapest out there with $64 plates? something like that I believe.

If I grabbed a metal plate a dremel with a metal bit (wheel) wouldn't have any trouble with it would it? (I've mostly used my dremel on plastic, and wood.. some metal but only like cutting out the brackets from the hatch struts and so on.. )

I guess I'll be on the look out for pricing now for "any" Z33 plate. I think it's a mod worth $50-$80,.. But more than that becomes questionable unless you track and cooling is of utmost importance.

Sick an Twsd 03-01-2014 08:09 PM

Chromatic, if you're that serious about having CF, grab some 3M wrap or take it and have it hydro dipped. that way you'll cover up the flaws from the dremel as well (i'm in the EXACT same boat as you lol)

Chromatic 03-01-2014 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by Bmurray350z (Post 10339091)
I modified my mishimoto plate to work. Could have done a better job but it doesn't look bad

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3766/1...c9dd9cdb_b.jpg

Looks good to me. Where specifically did you have to modify the Mishimoto plate? And what did you use to do the cuts out of curiosity?

From pricing, and reviews online.. Seems like the NRG plates don't fit well with the latching mechanism (on any of the models) without modification. I don't like parts that were designed for a car that need modification to work properly on the year model they were designed for... so I'm shying away from NRG.

Next up is the Mishimoto plates in the three colors they offer.

Ebay has them for $96 shipped..

So I'm sure this is what you have on the car pictured.. so just curious what you actually cut and where? I can't tell, but it looks like you may have cut a little notch where the latch is? And I suppose you have to cut on the passenger side which should be no big deal..

Thanks

Bmurray350z 03-02-2014 06:11 AM

I had to modify these areas. I've never seen anyone have to modify the hood latch area, but mine was hitting so I had to. I just used a dremel tool.

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2844/1...26d0e399_c.jpg

Chromatic 03-02-2014 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by Sick an Twsd (Post 10339133)
Chromatic, if you're that serious about having CF, grab some 3M wrap or take it and have it hydro dipped. that way you'll cover up the flaws from the dremel as well (i'm in the EXACT same boat as you lol)

I'm not serious about Carbon Fiber lol.. I'm not that big into the whole carbon fiber look as everyone else.. It's ok,.. but doesn't really stand out enough for me to fork out the money real CF costs. I'd rather take a metal panel and paint it silver or Aluminum than have Carbon Fiber. I think I'm going to get a Blue one from Mishimoto because the other stuff I'm adding under the hood is going to be blue cause everything is either Red or Blue (with some blacks on some pieces) .. So I guess "blue" looks better than Bright red under there.. to keep a theme/unity going under the hood.

The carbon fiber remark was just because it's not nearly as hard as Metal so would be easier to cut,.. but a dremel with a metal wheel on it will cut through that metal no problem.

Chromatic 03-02-2014 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by Bmurray350z (Post 10339274)
I had to modify these areas. I've never seen anyone have to modify the hood latch area, but mine was hitting so I had to. I just used a dremel tool.

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2844/1...26d0e399_c.jpg

Thanks -- that helps a lot.

That little cut you made by the hood latch looks difficult to get a dremel "wheel" to cut when going "horizontal".. the straight down vertical long cuts are easy enough,.. but coming across with that small of a gap I'd need something much much smaller on the dremel not to nick the other areas. What bit did you use for that tiny horizontal cut by the latch if you can remember?

You cut it fine,.. If it bothered you it would be easy to clean those edges up with sand paper/paint etc..

I'm not sure if I should go with a Blue or Black Moto panel -- I am going to put Blue intake hoses from HPS .. like this:

https://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NjAwWDgwM...Scuw~~60_3.JPG

Just wondering if a Blue panel would look "good" to match those,.. or if I should go with Black due to where it's at.

I've also thought about going with Black intake hoses, and thus black air panel.. but only a "trained" eye would notice anything was different from factory.. but it would look "Clean" I suppose.

I see you seem to have spent some money on dressing up your engine area,.. so would like your opinion.

What would you do?

Bmurray350z 03-02-2014 10:09 AM

Yeah I went with a black/red/cf theme for my engine bay, because i like the cleanliness of it. Plus, i don't have to worry about some colors not matching well. Like the example you mentioned, having the blue mishimoto plate a lighter blue not matching the intake tubes blue might would bug me. But maybe it matches well. You'll have to see. I have an NRG Carbon fiber engine cover on the way as well to add to the look.

Chromatic 03-02-2014 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by Bmurray350z (Post 10339458)
Yeah I went with a black/red/cf theme for my engine bay, because i like the cleanliness of it. Plus, i don't have to worry about some colors not matching well. Like the example you mentioned, having the blue mishimoto plate a lighter blue not matching the intake tubes blue might would bug me. But maybe it matches well. You'll have to see. I have an NRG Carbon fiber engine cover on the way as well to add to the look.

yeah it's basically Red or Blue if you want to match all your hoses , wires, bolts, and so on.

However, some Black or Carbon Fiber (or even metallic, like the Diversion Plates) are fine to mix with the Blue.. as it's a neutral sort of color.

I think with the Diversion plate I should go with Black .. and then with the hoses go with Blue,.. I could go black with it all, but then it would just all look factory to everyone but a 350Z enthusiast who knew what to look for -- The point of dressing the engine is to make it "pop" a bit .. Red car with red hoses makes easy sense.. Blue car with Blue hoses makes sense..

But Silver car it's not quite as simple to decide lol. yeah, first world problems right? ;) --

Chromatic 03-11-2014 09:40 AM

Well.. Got my Intakes and Diversion plate.. Decided on Red Theme.. Went with Black for the Diversion Plate -- Both from Mishimoto,.. And they put the Logo's on the wrong side of the intakes.. doh! -- But they are sending me the logo's now,.. so no big deal.

Here is how it turned out..

http://www.flickr.com/photos/111739693@N04/13086104884/
If you notice.. I did it a little different than Bmurrary on the hood latch part. I decided to sacrifice a little area for what I thought may be a "cleaner" look (thanks Bmurrary for that picture.. you saved me likely bending my plate not realizing it was going to hit with the latch!)

But I went straight across with the cut for the latch area.. instead of making a notch.

I made a few small blemishes as you can see working with it.. but that's the price you pay having to fabricate something that isn't designed for the car.

Also,.. were lining up the holes a problem for you Bmurrary?

On the left most hole .. it wouldn't line up.. only half of the hole opening was there with all the other holes lined up.. (I moved the bumper in, side ways, etc.. to see if it was the car..) So I had to open up that hole on the diversion plate.. but luckily the clips cover any work done there, just something I found interesting and unexpected cutting.

I think it looks good,.. and I'm glad I went with Red,.. I'll do the hoses, and ground wire kit in red and I think it'l bring more out. Then I'll work on some of the bolts, washers, and caps. I guess for the Oil filler stick and such I'll have to hand paint.

Anyone have any solid way to match my existing red ? Would like to not get all different shades of "bright red" going on in there if possible. Although I little darker anodized crimson looks good on some parts I've seen in other engine bays.

Bmurray350z 03-11-2014 09:46 AM

Good idea on cutting the hood latch area all the way instead of a notch. I might have to go back and do mine like that. And actually my holes lines up pretty well.

Looks good!

travlee 03-11-2014 09:48 AM

i think it would look a little better if you slid the from of it under the bumper, but looks good, i have thought about buying one for a while now

Chromatic 03-11-2014 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by Bmurray350z (Post 10345457)
Good idea on cutting the hood latch area all the way instead of a notch. I might have to go back and do mine like that. And actually my holes lines up pretty well.

Looks good!

Thanks.. it is cleaner looking, but you do technically sacrifice a bit of the "airflow" it's blocking (keeping down).. but just a sliver obviously.

I guess mine was just made oddly.. the front end of my Z is not out of whack or anything.. Made it work just fine in the end.

Originally Posted by travlee9374 (Post 10345460)
i think it would look a little better if you slid the from of it under the bumper, but looks good, i have thought about buying one for a while now

I did both.. Under and Over -- and frankly I like both looks.. but in the end the "over the bumper" looked better cosmetically to me.

But man.. those clips were a Pain in the arse.. I had like 1 clip of the 6 clips come out easily... the rest I'd pop up with the flathead in a split second.. then have to wrestle with forever with my fingers, and pliers trying not to nick my bumper.

But,.. yeah.. If you like the looks go for it --

I've been opening my hood after a harder drive to see what the new intake tubes feel like temp wise.. and the engine in general.. and that engine needs some ventilation bad. I think a hood with some vents would really benefit my car.

I guess I could buy a Carbon Fiber hood with Vents and it'd go in without any "paint" needed.. not sure how I like the look of what could be perceived as a mismatched panel from a distance,.. Or I could get a good vented hood and get it painted,.. or put vents in my own hood.

I say this because I live where it is regularly 100+ degree's from April - October,.. and was 80 degree's today.. So this engine is going to be in extreme heat all the time. That air going into the intakes has to be very warm judging by the intake tube temps I felt.. Which = less dense O2, = lower hp. But I imagine doing anything with the Hood is far from cheap..

samsniss350z 03-12-2014 07:57 AM

For what its worth, unless you know that the plate is for a DE you wouldn't really notice that it had been modified. I reckon you've done an OK job there.

Chromatic 03-13-2014 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by samsniss350z (Post 10346079)
For what its worth, unless you know that the plate is for a DE you wouldn't really notice that it had been modified. I reckon you've done an OK job there.

:D Thanks for your approval of my "fab" job on the DE plate fitted to an HR. I don't exactly have the best set of tools and work environment.. This is with a dremel , with large wheels, cutting on the floor of the garage. Only thing I could have done any better is to make the cuts a little more "precise" and not let the dremel "skip/get away" from me once or twice by trying to use finesse and not the grip of death ;)

I think it looks just fine,,.. The blemishes from the slight nicks I've covered temporarily with a sharpie.. If I really want them to be completely undetectable I'll throw on some proper paint.

simoncbrr1 03-15-2014 04:41 AM

I had the same problem so I just made my own out of carbon fiber!

simoncbrr1 03-15-2014 05:50 AM

2 Attachment(s)
heres pics of it, did a thread on it somewhere around here