Targa Modification

Old 09-30-2014, 06:49 AM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,283 Likes on 1,645 Posts

Originally Posted by liber2cm
terrasmak,

What are the other gtspec parts made for then if you don't think they help with the chassis twisting?
They really only make 2 parts that do anything to the Z chassis. The fender brace and mid chassis brace, the rest are completely useless.

The problem with a roof cut out is both twisting and compression. I've been around a few cars that were turned into verts (same as targa structurally ) put the car on a lift watch the door jams either compress or pull away from the doors. It turns the car into a slinky.
Old 09-30-2014, 09:27 AM
liber2cm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by terrasmak
They really only make 2 parts that do anything to the Z chassis. The fender brace and mid chassis brace, the rest are completely useless.

The problem with a roof cut out is both twisting and compression. I've been around a few cars that were turned into verts (same as targa structurally ) put the car on a lift watch the door jams either compress or pull away from the doors. It turns the car into a slinky.
Yes I've seen something similar to what you've described happen to an old Camaro. I wasn't there when they cut it, but the car sagged and it was never the same again. There wasn't a convertible for that Camaro though.

Would you agree that if the frames for my enthusiast and the roadster they made that year are the same then there should be no problem with cutting the car?
Old 09-30-2014, 01:01 PM
winchman

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I specialized in machining, welding, and fabrication of support equipment for turbine engines, and I was also a company representative on some missile systems made for the US Navy.

I can guarantee you that the frames for the coupe and roadster are quite different. They didn't just add a roof to make it a coupe.

I'd suggest you study the parts diagrams for the coupe and roadster, and see what they added in the tunnel, side rails, and floor pan to beef up the roadster. If you strip the car down, you might be able to weld in the extra parts before you cut the roof.

It's not going to be a job for a novice welder, though, and you're going to need some good welding equipment to do it properly. You're also going to have to figure out a way to keep the completed assembly from rusting inside and out after all the work is done.

Last edited by winchman; 09-30-2014 at 01:03 PM.
Old 09-30-2014, 01:07 PM
Jah70

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by winchman
I specialized in machining, welding, and fabrication of support equipment for turbine engines, and I was also a company representative on some missile systems made for the US Navy.

I can guarantee you that the frames for the coupe and roadster are quite different. They didn't just add a roof to make it a coupe.

I'd suggest you study the parts diagrams for the coupe and roadster, and see what they added in the tunnel, side rails, and floor pan to beef up the roadster. If you strip the car down, you might be able to weld in the extra parts before you cut the roof.

It's not going to be a job for a novice welder, though, and you're going to need some good welding equipment to do it properly. You're also going to have to figure out a way to keep the completed assembly from rusting inside and out after all the work is done.
In other words, you better have a lot of $ £ € ¥ and be a professional welder and engineer or hire one that is. All those pesos could be spent on FI
Old 09-30-2014, 02:35 PM
mr. sparco

Received 454 Likes on 318 Posts

https://my350z.com/forum/exterior/59...onversion.html
Here is a starting point to Anthony Giambri. lol Never gift a payment on paypal or trust the seller.

I think this project is doomed from inception, it has been discussed and attempted various times since I joined in 2005. Once again it never comes out clean.

Last edited by mr. sparco; 09-30-2014 at 02:37 PM.
Old 10-01-2014, 06:20 AM
PerfZ

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by travlee
if you would have read the rules, you would know that you cant link to another forum
Yep - stupid rule at that. The Targa conversion has been done, saw it at ZDayZ a few years back and know the couple who owned the car but can't remember the name right now. It looked really clean and they seemed quite happy with it but I can't attest to any handling or rigidity issues.
Old 10-01-2014, 06:43 AM
liber2cm

Originally Posted by mr. sparco
https://my350z.com/forum/exterior/59...onversion.html
Here is a starting point to Anthony Giambri. lol Never gift a payment on paypal or trust the seller.

I think this project is doomed from inception, it has been discussed and attempted various times since I joined in 2005. Once again it never comes out clean.
Yeah that hatch he put on the roadster looks terrible. Do you have any other examples of various attempts you are talking about?
Old 10-01-2014, 06:52 AM
liber2cm

Originally Posted by winchman

Differentiating the frames on the coupe and roadster was obviously my first step, but I'm telling you that I can't find any evidence that they are different in any way. This is the main reason why I'm still pursuing the project. I've gone to dealerships to have part reps print off pictures and I've looked through OEM catalogs on-line. I can't find any schematics with any evidence what so ever that the frames are any different.

I appreciate your detailed response, do you have any more recommendations?

I'm now considering purchasing every available product from Gtspec. Do you find this feasible or do you think some of their frame supports are useless?

Thanks again for your input.
Old 10-01-2014, 06:54 AM
liber2cm

Originally Posted by PerfZ
Yep - stupid rule at that. The Targa conversion has been done, saw it at ZDayZ a few years back and know the couple who owned the car but can't remember the name right now. It looked really clean and they seemed quite happy with it but I can't attest to any handling or rigidity issues.
Do you remember what year that ZDayZ was? There website has a lot of pictures.
Old 10-01-2014, 06:55 AM
mr. sparco

Received 454 Likes on 318 Posts

Nope, not going to even attempt a search for posts starting from over 10 years ago. Do a google search on images and follow the trails for newer attempts. Most of the pics here from that long ago are most likely gone by now.
Old 10-01-2014, 09:00 AM
Koolsilver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There is definitely a structural difference in the coupe and roadster. If there wasn't explain how replacing a metal roof with a cloth one adds so much weight.
Old 10-01-2014, 09:26 AM
liber2cm

Originally Posted by Koolsilver
There is definitely a structural difference in the coupe and roadster. If there wasn't explain how replacing a metal roof with a cloth one adds so much weight.
Do you have any facts that "definitely" support this? Where did you find the weight specs for the coupe and roadster?
Old 10-01-2014, 09:30 AM
Jah70

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Do you have any facts that "definitely" support this? Where did you find the weight specs for the coupe and roadster?
Are you serious dude? You can't be serious.
Old 10-01-2014, 09:39 AM
liber2cm

Originally Posted by Jah70
Are you serious dude? You can't be serious.
Relax. I just found the curb weight specs on motor trend. This is a very interesting observation. It looks like the difference in weight is between 200 and 250 lbs. I'll keep digging for more details unless you have more helpful insight.
Old 10-01-2014, 10:09 AM
liber2cm

This has the best frame photo I could find of a coupe.

http://nissanraceshop.com/chassis-build/#lightbox/6/
Old 10-01-2014, 11:21 AM
Koolsilver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Relax. I just found the curb weight specs on motor trend. This is a very interesting observation. It looks like the difference in weight is between 200 and 250 lbs. I'll keep digging for more details unless you have more helpful insight.
Exactly, with this information it's a pretty safe assumption that Nissan had to add around 300lbs of extra support.
Old 10-02-2014, 05:19 AM
liber2cm

Originally Posted by Koolsilver
Exactly, with this information it's a pretty safe assumption that Nissan had to add around 300lbs of extra support.
Engineers try not to work off making assumptions, but thanks for the info this really challenged my theory. No matter how hard I search I can't find a picture of a roadster car frame. Let me know if you stumble upon any other useful information.
Old 10-22-2014, 06:36 AM
bad boyz

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Targa top 350Z

For what ever reason I can't view the image, so can you try to repost it and email it to me?

libeera@yahoo.com
Hope you are able to view this pic!!
Attached Thumbnails Targa Modification-meana-350z-012-tara-top.jpg  
Old 10-22-2014, 06:47 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,044 Likes on 6,510 Posts

that looks like crap.......

poor photochop too
Old 10-22-2014, 07:33 AM
350zHalleck

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Aaaanthoooony...........................

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Targa Modification