Exterior & Interior 350Z Body modification, interior styling and lighting
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine bay overhaul

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2018, 01:36 PM
rustyschopshop

Received 373 Likes on 279 Posts

yeah when i took this picture i had just installed a new timing kit with water pump, also changed the color of the strut bar so i really didn't detail anything. You wouldn't want to see the engine bay now since the hood has not been opened in 2 years
Over the next couple months after my back heal i will be getting ready to pull the engine and replace it with a bunch of new goodies and plan on doing a full detail as i go I cannot wait
Last couple pages on my build thread has a list of awaiting parts to go in and hope to accumulate more soon.
Old 12-10-2018, 02:29 PM
onevq35de

Received 96 Likes on 74 Posts

Oh yeah, it is 2 years old. I see the time stamp now. I was preoccupied looking at the bay.
I like how you bypassed the coolant hard line on the passenger side. Don't think I've seen that done until now.
What happened to your back?
Got a link to your build thread?

Last edited by onevq35de; 12-10-2018 at 02:30 PM.
Old 12-10-2018, 03:42 PM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Received 1,282 Likes on 1,007 Posts

Originally Posted by onevq35de
I like how you bypassed the coolant hard line on the passenger side. Don't think I've seen that done until now.
I did this on mine to free up space for the passenger side blower...free'd up a bunch of space...I'm dreaming up a way to eliminate that rear pipe and run hoses off the back of the engine to the radiator...we'll see
The following users liked this post:
Tran251 (06-08-2019)
Old 12-10-2018, 07:25 PM
rustyschopshop

Received 373 Likes on 279 Posts

rustys slow build
also don't forget to check my albums, some pics are not in build thread.
Old 12-11-2018, 03:01 PM
onevq35de

I had to wash the beast today and did some final detailing touches to the bay. When the time comes, it'll be hard to tear everything apart to build the block, etc. Maybe I'll keep this one as is and get another. Thinking about getting a Z as a daily. That's backwards, having a xover as the weekend warrior. This is how the FX is gonna sit for awhile.

Last edited by onevq35de; 12-11-2018 at 03:13 PM.
Tran251 (06-08-2019)
Old 12-14-2018, 04:38 AM
Cux350z
hatersgonnahate

Received 956 Likes on 721 Posts

good work. I like the VHT wrinkle touches you did as well.

If you want to go the extra mile you can also do the vac line on the passenger side. It runs to the driver side brake booster through that convoluted line behind the false firewall. You can put a port in the bottom of the intake manifold just after the TB. As for the FX...i cannot believe that is how nissan ran the brake line to the passenger front.

FOREVER and thank you. That's retaining as much of the existing loom as possible. cux350z has a thread of his 350z tuck but I think many of the pics are lost do to photo****it's I was able to do most of the tuck from inside the bay while standing in front of the block and still suffered serious leg fatigue (hamstrings) from leaning forward for hours, several days in a row, day and night. I'd say from cleaning up the bay to deleting everything that's been deleted and tucking the looms, probably 80 + hours, not including intake mods or headers, etc. 1st time for me and did it all alone.
yeah photobuket nuked a lot of my threads. I guess I should have used the forum image hosting.

Wire tucking is very strenuous on the knees and back. Lots of time consuming work done over the engine bay.

onevq35de (12-14-2018)
Old 12-14-2018, 05:10 AM
onevq35de

Thanks for the tip. The booster vac line was actually a hard line attached to the false firewall which came out through the booster "box" up high, ran along with the brake line that's still there as seen in the pics and then terminated to a rubber line which then attached to the intake. I deleted the hard line and ran the automotive hose that's there now but I ran it low from the booster "box", so it did clean things up a bit.
It was odd that they ran it all the way around like that. My guess is they felt there was already too much in that area attaching to the intake pipe and throttle body?
Old 12-16-2018, 01:22 PM
Cux350z
hatersgonnahate

Received 956 Likes on 721 Posts

it is from the LHD version. They swapped the sides of the Brake booster and Clutch MC with the battery. Then designed a long bendy pipe instead of going to the bottom of the intake.
Tran251 (06-08-2019)
Old 06-08-2019, 12:41 PM
Tran251

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I had to wash the beast today and did some final detailing touches to the bay. When the time comes, it'll be hard to tear everything apart to build the block, etc. Maybe I'll keep this one as is and get another. Thinking about getting a Z as a daily. That's backwards, having a xover as the weekend warrior. This is how the FX is gonna sit for awhile.

You weren’t kidding when you said you could stand in the engine bay. That’s awsome.
I bet you’re going to pull the trigger on a supercharger soon. I can’t wait to see. I don’t think I ever seen a supercharged fx yet.
onevq35de (06-08-2019)
Old 06-08-2019, 12:47 PM
onevq35de

I'd like to but other things are taking priority over the FX these days.
Old 07-11-2019, 04:16 PM
Tran251

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I'd like to but other things are taking priority over the FX these days.
I completely understand. I have kids and they drain all of my play money for the vq.
What is your next big step? Have you surfed online to find a good single turbo setup? There’s one momentum kit for 4k$ on eBay. If I didn’t find such a good deal for my jwt kit, I would’ve been all over it.
Old 07-11-2019, 05:09 PM
onevq35de

Well, I'm kid-free, pretty much responsibility-free actually. I've got $. It's time that I lack. I need one more of me.
The FX is in a state of suspended animation. It's in such nice condition and I know if I put it in someone else's hands, they're gonna damage something or somethings, I just know it. Getting the drive train rebuilt...I'll have no choice unfortunately as I lack the skill, knowledge, tools and time to build the engine and trans but in the near term I'd like to strap a supercharger on it and keep the boost low enough so as not to tear an ******* in my trans.
A turbo or 2 is nice but it's too much torque down low, even for a built auto and I have no interest in installing a 6 speed manny cause I likes my AWD. With a supercharger, I can get more usable torque & horsepower. A guy with a ST FX has seen 3 trans builds. It seems 425 ft lbs via turbo is the max in a 4k lb RWD crossover, assuming one doesn't want to go for a 4th trans build but with a supercharger, I can go much higher.
The supercharger's been on my mind for awhile now. It would be nice to manufacture a bracket that would allow for it to be installed towards the bottom of the engine instead of the top and then do a some sort of constant, ever adjusting water injection pre-compressor in lieu of an intercooler, keeping all the pipes as short and as straight as possible.
For now, I'm looking for an answer on how best to deal with the only issue the FX has...a cracked dash. Shops don't want to remove it. I found one to wrap it in leather that would do so without removing the dash by removing the windshield.

Last edited by onevq35de; 07-11-2019 at 05:21 PM.
Old 07-11-2019, 05:15 PM
onevq35de

Here's an FX that had a Vortech YSI. I guess he parted this thing out a few years ago. I believe he was pushing 750-ish on a built auto.