Sponsored by:

Scratched Up Door Panel Insert

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2017, 03:21 AM
Mags

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Scratched Up Door Panel Insert

Hello all,

I have a 2006 350Z, with only 30k miles on it. It's in great shape except for the black parts of the door panels, which are quite scratched up (wife's jewelry, see pic). Has anyone here ever encountered and fixed this? How hard is it to get those panel insert off for re-painting?

Any help is greatly appreciated!! Scratched up door panel insert

Last edited by Mags; 05-27-2017 at 04:32 AM.
Old 05-27-2017, 03:37 AM
Mags

Also, does anyone know of a carbon fiber replacement for that panel? That would dress it up a bit and also be more scratch resistant in the future, I think.
Old 05-27-2017, 04:00 AM
carbuffguy

Received 122 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by Mags
Hello all,

I have a 2005 350Z, with only 30k miles on it. It's in great shape except for the black parts of the door panels, which are quite scratched up (wife's jewelry, see pic). Has anyone here ever encountered and fixed this? How hard is it to get those panel insert off for re-painting?

Any help is greatly appreciated!! Scratched up door panel insert
Haha perfect timing!

Sorry, but I've just been schooled by a gentlemen (and I use that term loosely) on a post, regarding this very subject...You know who you are btw/jk

In a word N-I-S-S-A-N ...It seems you can order a direct OEM replacement from Nissan.

The only thing is, I'm not sure if the replacement is the same crappy finish as the original? I would have asked the "gentleman" on the previous post, but I didn't want to put my neck out there.

Maybe the "gentlemen" will post a part number on here for ya
Old 05-27-2017, 04:13 AM
Mags

Thanks for the reply!

Yeah, I'd rather not have the OEM as it seems to scratch when you look at it! I'd rather take the old one off and paint it with something more scratch resistant or even better get a carbon fiber replacement and not have to worry about it.
I'm buying the wife a new car and I get the hand-me-down 350Z (which we bought new and is still in great shape except for those pieces), so I'd like to fix up the little annoying things on my "new to me" car.
Old 05-27-2017, 04:35 AM
Mags

Ah, I found the other thread you were talking about, Carbuffguy, thanks for the heads up. Judging from the pictures there it seems the earlier year Z's had a solid plastic piece there that looks a lot more scratch resistant than what I have.
Maybe OEM from an earlier model year is the way to go.
Old 05-27-2017, 04:52 AM
carbuffguy

Received 122 Likes on 97 Posts

Ah, I found the other thread you were talking about, Carbuffguy, thanks for the heads up. Judging from the pictures there it seems the earlier year Z's had a solid plastic piece there that looks a lot more scratch resistant than what I have.
That would be ideal, if it fits.

And congrats on buying new and keeping it in tip top shape with low miles. That's a perfect hand me down!
Old 05-27-2017, 05:58 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,253 Likes on 2,314 Posts

Originally Posted by carbuffguy
Haha perfect timing!

Sorry, but I've just been schooled by a gentlemen (and I use that term loosely) on a post, regarding this very subject...You know who you are btw/jk

In a word N-I-S-S-A-N ...It seems you can order a direct OEM replacement from Nissan.

The only thing is, I'm not sure if the replacement is the same crappy finish as the original? I would have asked the "gentleman" on the previous post, but I didn't want to put my neck out there.

Maybe the "gentlemen" will post a part number on here for ya
Did I hear someone tawkin' about ME? You talkin' about me?!?

And youse tawkin' about dis?

Yeah, the finish on the '07-08 panels is pure cr*p! I did the above with a pen tip while sitting in the DMV inspection line after using my fingenail on it just for kicks and discovering it takes about as much pressure to nick it as writing with a pencil on paper. Bad bad bad bad bad Nissan! What were you thinking!?

Could probably just paint it, seen that here on forum many times. I just find it easier to hit [ ORDER ] on my computer for the following:

Nissan PN 80961-CF40E Left hand power window finisher
Nissan PN 80960-CF40D Right hand power window finisher

But a warning.... it's the same finish as the chalkboard ones. But I'm selling the car with a warning to be careful.

Regards,

GENTLEMAN MIC
The following users liked this post:
Dextrose (07-10-2017)
Old 05-27-2017, 06:19 AM
Mags

Thanks!!
Old 05-27-2017, 09:32 AM
jhc
General & Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,594 Posts

Courtesy Nissan wanted $110 plus shipping, I laffed. Used a table knife on the rear side to push up and forward to release. Wet-sanded with 400/600, several light coats of PPG flat/matte. Then a very light coat of Krylon Crystal matte. Looks brand new!
The following users liked this post:
Dextrose (07-10-2017)
Old 05-27-2017, 09:45 AM
Mags

Thanks for the tip, jhc! I assume installation is simply the reverse.
Old 05-27-2017, 10:20 AM
Atreyu'z 350

Received 262 Likes on 228 Posts

These are what you're talking about?..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/For-2006-200...ZYindY&vxp=mtr
Old 05-27-2017, 11:11 AM
Mags

Yes, that's them. Thanks!!
Old 05-27-2017, 11:51 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,253 Likes on 2,314 Posts

Almost bought those but then my sense of loyalty to Nissan made me get OEM. BTW, if you think $80 is expensive for an OEM driver side armrest, look at the RH side ones.... they're easily about 1.4x as much. Supply and demand I guess. Laff.

I think I have a full stick-on set of CF overlays in my garage, bought from a forum member. Never put them on because they served no real purpose on my '03, whose interior is without a scratch.

I'd offer them to you but it won't work on an HR car ('07+)
Old 05-27-2017, 11:52 AM
jhc
General & Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Thanks for the tip, jhc! I assume installation is simply the reverse.
Correct, there is a spring at the rear and plastic tabs in front that slide under the adjoining trim. gl!
Old 05-27-2017, 12:08 PM
Mags

Thanks to all who replied! I bought a pair of the carbon fiber overlays from ebay. If I like the look I'll keep them there. If not, I'll try jhc's method with matte black paint.
Old 05-27-2017, 09:00 PM
jhc
General & Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Super-easy, lmk if I can help!
Old 05-28-2017, 11:55 AM
Atreyu'z 350

No problem. Glad I could help.
Old 05-28-2017, 12:02 PM
Atreyu'z 350

Originally Posted by MicVelo
Did I hear someone tawkin' about ME? You talkin' about me?!?

And youse tawkin' about dis?

Yeah, the finish on the '07-08 panels is pure cr*p! I did the above with a pen tip while sitting in the DMV inspection line after using my fingenail on it just for kicks and discovering it takes about as much pressure to nick it as writing with a pencil on paper. Bad bad bad bad bad Nissan! What were you thinking!?

Could probably just paint it, seen that here on forum many times. I just find it easier to hit [ ORDER ] on my computer for the following:

Nissan PN 80961-CF40E Left hand power window finisher
Nissan PN 80960-CF40D Right hand power window finisher

But a warning.... it's the same finish as the chalkboard ones. But I'm selling the car with a warning to be careful.

Regards,

GENTLEMAN MIC

lol.. Clever. Now they serve a unique pupose and cannot be removed from the car. Remember that, Mic.
Old 05-28-2017, 10:37 PM
dcains

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts

Thanks to all who replied! I bought a pair of the carbon fiber overlays from ebay. If I like the look I'll keep them there. If not, I'll try jhc's method with matte black paint.
If you're going to repaint, you need to completely remove the original coatings - all layers - including that shiny gray base coat. You also have the choice of vinyl wrapping, hydrodipping (which I chose), an overlay, or even real CF wrapping. Here's what the hydrodip looks like:

Old 06-02-2017, 06:47 AM
Mags

To close out this thread, I picked up the carbon fiber overlays from Post #11 and installed them last night. They look pretty good! You can tell they're overlays if you look closely around the switches but they look WAY better than the scratched up paint. They're keepers for now. Thanks for the help.