MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion

MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion (https://my350z.com/forum/)
-   Exterior & Interior (https://my350z.com/forum/exterior-and-interior-51/)
-   -   Plasti Dip questions (https://my350z.com/forum/exterior-and-interior/617086-plasti-dip-questions.html)

psychodreamz 08-26-2017 03:09 PM

Plasti Dip questions

So I was thinking about trying to plasti dip my Z and I was just curious if anyone had some info that could help. I've seen walmart sells plasti dip and was wondering if it's one of those things you get what you pay for like as far as brands. Also the same question for the spray gun. Also would 1 gallon be enough? I'm trying to go with a matte black. Also any other info would be appreciated. Thanks guys.

dcains 08-26-2017 06:04 PM

Please immediately trade your Z in for a Civic.

psychodreamz 08-26-2017 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by dcains (Post 10911615)
Please immediately trade your Z in for a Civic.

No need to be a ass...if you don't know you don't know!

jhc 08-26-2017 07:13 PM

@ psychodreamz-
Please be kind with your words, we are a very tight-knit group here with more help than you can imagine! Everyone is welcome here, although-

We do encourage folks to research before posting, not to waste anyone's time.

As a general rule, Plasti-Dip is frowned upon here. I have used it for temp fixes, but generally you won't get any productive responses about his topic.

Enjoy your weekend!

psychodreamz 08-26-2017 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by jhc (Post 10911631)
@ psychodreamz-
Please be kind with your words, we are a very tight-knit group here with more help than you can imagine! Everyone is welcome here, although-

We do encourage folks to research before posting, not to waste anyone's time.

As a general rule, Plasti-Dip is frowned upon here. I have used it for temp fixes, but generally you won't get any productive responses about his topic.

Enjoy your weekend!

OK I appreciate this response it was very helpful. I have bin trying to do some research and found a little bit of info on what i was looking for, thats is why i had asked on here because i asummed that someone could point me in the right direction and help me out....as far as being kind with words I get it but that's also a 2 way street I wasn't rude or ignorant ...so there was no need for the comment that was made.

travlee 08-27-2017 05:40 AM

Balla on a budget

Atreyu'z 350 08-28-2017 04:56 AM

Originally Posted by psychodreamz (Post 10911597)
So I was thinking about trying to plasti dip my Z and I was just curious if anyone had some info that could help. I've seen walmart sells plasti dip and was wondering if it's one of those things you get what you pay for like as far as brands. Also the same question for the spray gun. Also would 1 gallon be enough? I'm trying to go with a matte black. Also any other info would be appreciated. Thanks guys.

What do you want to plasti-dip? Your wheels?...

KornerCarver 08-28-2017 06:01 AM

While I think PlastiDip is one of the worst things you can do to your car, here is a website that might be helpful. https://www.dipyourcar.com/?gclid=Cj...QaAheIEALw_wcB

psychodreamz 08-28-2017 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by KornerCarver (Post 10911835)
While I think PlastiDip is one of the worst things you can do to your car, here is a website that might be helpful. https://www.dipyourcar.com/?gclid=Cj...QaAheIEALw_wcB

So why is plasti dip such a bad idea? I was only looking for a temporary color change...because I really like the orange and eventually wanted to go back to it...I thought about a wrap but for the price plasti dip seemed like a easier way..plus I could do it. People knocking on me for saying it but not telling me why.

travlee 08-28-2017 09:55 AM

https://www.google.com/search?q=plas...hrome&ie=UTF-8

Highway Riding 08-28-2017 10:22 AM

For plasti dip to look ok @ best you need to prep as good as if your painting. IE: tape and clean work area or shop. Only Plasti dip jobs which look halfway ok were all professionally done @ a shop. Still cheap but pro is the way to go. Wrap is always better or at least always seems to look better IMHO

CK_32 08-28-2017 07:06 PM

Too many haters..

Dip it all fam!

MicVelo 08-28-2017 08:25 PM

This is one of those threads where I just shrug my shoulders.... "Why should I care what someone else does to their car?"

Rationale: the shi**ier it looks, the better mine looks. Hahahahahahahaha!!

But yeah, I, for one, don't get the matte look....back in the day, we had the same thing.... it was called "primer gray". ;)

Atreyu'z 350 08-29-2017 05:04 AM

Originally Posted by psychodreamz (Post 10911900)
So why is plasti dip such a bad idea? I was only looking for a temporary color change...because I really like the orange and eventually wanted to go back to it...I thought about a wrap but for the price plasti dip seemed like a easier way..plus I could do it. People knocking on me for saying it but not telling me why.

Not knocking on you. Just want to know what you want to have plasti-dipped so that maybe we can offer an alternative solution.

Atreyu'z 350 08-29-2017 05:06 AM

Originally Posted by MicVelo (Post 10911999)
This is one of those threads where I just shrug my shoulders.... "Why should I care what someone else does to their car?"

Rationale: the shi**ier it looks, the better mine looks. Hahahahahahahaha!!

But yeah, I, for one, don't get the matte look....back in the day, we had the same thing.... it was called "primer gray". ;)

Exactly.

iideadeyeii 08-29-2017 10:51 AM

Get on a plasti-dip forum.

I've read horror stories about removing plastidip and I've seen friends use it on trim/wheels and were not able to remove it.

You're better off learning to paint with rattle cans and getting yourself familiar with wet sanding and buffing. You can really get a show quality finish with any paint, it's all in the labor.