Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power Mirror Issue, Need help reading wiring diagram

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2017, 04:23 PM
shiftdrift06

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Power Mirror Issue, Need help reading wiring diagram

Long story short, my passenger side mirror doesn't respond with the switch, up, down, left or right. Nothing.

The mirror itself, works, I took it out, hooked up 12v source, it moves.
Fuse is good, also my driver side works fine.

I even tried switching the "mirror switch" out with another one, same thing, driver side works, passenger nothing.

I am ASSUMING, I have a break in the circuit somewhere. However I am not good at reading wiring diagrams. I know there is only 3 wires that go into the mirror.
My question is how should I diagnose this? Is the mirror being powered by a single 12v source and manipulated by grounds? or? idk lol.

Old 03-23-2017, 05:25 PM
Cux350z
hatersgonnahate

Received 956 Likes on 721 Posts

ok so basic DC motor control is done by Voltage Polarity and Voltage Magnitude.
You change direction by changing the Polarity.
You change the speed by changing the Voltage magnitude. Proportional..double the voltage, double the speed (ignoring load etc, just theory)

What nissan is doing is pretty cool. They are using 3 wires to control the 4 states of the two motors. The Voltage magnitude looks constant, polarity is what is changed.

You have three wires going to the mirror. Green, Yellow and Red.
UP Yellow - Red +
DOWN Yellow + Red -
LEFT Green + Yellow -
RIGHT Green - Yellow +

The 4 states are exclusive..meaning you cannot have 2 states active at the same time (unless something is BROKEN) You can see on the switches where some of the R L U D (Right left up down) selections do not have connections to either + or -...they will be open.

I would check the 10A fuse first.
The following users liked this post:
shiftdrift06 (03-23-2017)
Old 03-23-2017, 05:57 PM
shiftdrift06

Oh I see. So yeah I already checked the fuse, looks fine. As mentioned my driver side works fine, looks like both driver and passenger side are powered from the same fuse.

So yellow is the common wire for all the directions correct? Like I said, it doesn't work in any direction.

Would you say I have a break somewhere along the yellow wire?
Old 03-23-2017, 11:05 PM
i8acobra

Received 1,267 Likes on 1,015 Posts

Most likely there's an issue with one of the connectors in the passenger's side circuit. Using the service manual, first locate connector D32 (the plug that goes in the mirror). Check for power on the back side of the connector while moving the switch. If nothing, locate connector D31/M74 and check both sides of it. If still nothing, go back to connector D1/M11. Check that one. Post your findings.
Old 03-24-2017, 01:21 PM
Cux350z
hatersgonnahate

Received 956 Likes on 721 Posts

Before you go through all that hassle...do a point to point check from the connector at the mirror (gotta pull door panel) and the connector at the switch. Check for coninuity between the 3 wires from end to end.

If they all show as good, then skip those steps. If not, then proceed with the below.

Also note that the power mirror connector will probably have two black wires for the heater circuit if you have that.

Originally Posted by i8acobra
Most likely there's an issue with one of the connectors in the passenger's side circuit. Using the service manual, first locate connector D32 (the plug that goes in the mirror). Check for power on the back side of the connector while moving the switch. If nothing, locate connector D31/M74 and check both sides of it. If still nothing, go back to connector D1/M11. Check that one. Post your findings.
Old 04-11-2017, 01:47 PM
shiftdrift06

Finally got around to taking a more indepth look at the problem. As mentioned, i believe it was the Yellow wire, as it is common on both sides of the mirrors and also common in both up/down and left/right circuit.

I jump the driver side yellow wire to the passenger side, and bam, the mirror works.

So I spend the afternoon looking for the break in the yellow wire, but didn't have much luck. Check the main connectors at doors. The wire harness runs across the dash and its a pain the butt trying to unravel the loom. Combined with tight work space and awkward neck angles, it was getting difficult. I did find out, theres some sort of aftermarket device wired into the harness. I can't identify what its purpose, the car uses factory alarm, idk, but it possibility whoever installed damaged the yellow wire.

I was tired of going cross-eyed chasing wires back and forth, so I ended wiring a new "yellow wire" through the driver door, tucked away under the dash and back up into the passenger door, into the mirror, works fine. Thanks all!

Last edited by shiftdrift06; 04-11-2017 at 01:51 PM.
Old 12-10-2017, 06:36 AM
robdumoulin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Many thanks for the wiring diagram on this post for my 2003 350z power mirrors. I had to pull the driver door panel off and unclipped the wrong clip to the power mirror switch and all the wires got unmapped. It took a while to find this post, but it allowed me to put it all back together......except now my passenger mirror goes up/down when the switch is left/right and goes left/right when the switch is up/down. Which two are backwards?