MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion

MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion (https://my350z.com/forum/)
-   Exterior & Interior (https://my350z.com/forum/exterior-and-interior-51/)
-   -   Ceramic coating vs PPF (https://my350z.com/forum/exterior-and-interior/619598-ceramic-coating-vs-ppf.html)

Jkyra 06-03-2018 11:40 PM

Ceramic coating vs PPF

I registered because I am considering getting my car protected…
I live in a place where it rains very often and the roads are not so good, I can see the damages caused by the road and the rain: scratches from stones and water marks from acidic rains.

I looked for a solution and the best I could find so far were Paint Protection Films or Ceramic Coatings.

Firstly: PPF consist of wrapping your car in plastic to protect it from scratches and micro marrings. It is the best protection against stones. The problem is that it is pricey and it can alter the shine and looks.

Secondly: ceramic coating, it is a liquid coating (some are oil based and some are water based) it is cheaper, gives a shiny look and good protection (9H pencil-scale), it also makes the surface easier to clean thanks to hydrophobicity. On the other hand, the final result depends on how well the guy who applies it works and it the protection provided is less good than for films.

Doing more researches online I discovered this company called IGL Coatings that advertises a 10H hardness coating called Kenzo, and I thought I’d go for them since it is the best combination of protection and shines! But I am still a beginner in coatings so I’d like some more experienced guy’s advice.

So my question for you is, which one should I go for: PPF or Kenzo?

Thanks in advance!

jhc 06-04-2018 12:54 PM

Ceramic coatings will def seal the paint but not 100% protect against stone chips. A good compromise to cost is-

Protect the stone-prone forward facing areas with ppf,
do the rest with ceramic.

SpartaEvolution 06-04-2018 01:48 PM

I agree with jhc:
wrap the front bumper, hood, and fenders to protect against rock chips
ceramic coat the rest.

From the PPF I've seen, the only time I could tell there was something over the paint was when they only did the first couple feet of the hood and stopped half way up, at which point there was a very faint line going across the hood. I would be a little worried that the wrapped fenders and ceramic coated doors might not match exactly, but that will depend on the color of your car and how meticulous you want to be.

Jkyra 06-04-2018 07:22 PM

Ok, so you suggest that I go for a combo of both and get the most vulnerable parts filmed and coat the rest. Do you recommend any brand for the PPF/ have you ever heard about this Kenzo coating?

jhc 06-05-2018 07:02 AM

I have not. A quick seach shows that Kenzo is a Japanese fashion house, but I am in North America. If you need expert advice I highly recommend one of our sponsors, Detailed Image, under the Sponsor tab above. They carry all sorts of products and will give you free expert advice based on your needs and budget.

Jkyra 06-05-2018 06:07 PM

Yeah I guess you're right JHC, they are a new company and they are based in Malaysia (in South East Asia) so I guess they still lack the global recognition! However, they have a decent fan base in Malaysia and even in the US apparently!
So PPF for sure, now I have to figure out if I want both or just the film... :confused: