MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion

MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion (https://my350z.com/forum/)
-   Exterior & Interior (https://my350z.com/forum/exterior-and-interior-51/)
-   -   A pillar window weather strip replacement (https://my350z.com/forum/exterior-and-interior/620670-a-pillar-window-weather-strip-replacement.html)

myrddin 10-25-2018 08:35 AM

A pillar window weather strip replacement

hey folks. Quick question. I have been researching how to replace the A pillar on my Z due to a crack in the rear. I found one used for sale (part out). I noticed that the one I’m interested in doesn’t have the weather strip attached... my question is will I be able to just use the one on my car now? If so how? I have found a few threads showing how to (or not how to) replace the a pillar, but the weather strip is still a mystery to me. I have no leaking issues or window alignment issues, just a small crack... if this will cause me a lot of trouble I may just live with it a little longer.

Any help would be awesome.

KornerCarver 10-25-2018 10:43 AM

I doubt that you will be able to use the weather strip from your A-pillar. The weatherstrip is not available separately from the A-pillar.

myrddin 10-25-2018 03:04 PM

Bummer, sounds like the one I’m looking at may not work? It has no weather strip... sucks. If anyone knows otherwise please chime in. I’d love to fix it. But I don’t want to spend good money on a part I end up having to shade tree to get the rubber to stay in.

Freise 10-25-2018 04:19 PM

I can't remember exactly what the sequence is, but part of the weather seal is just pressed over the metal bracket, and the rest is held in with double sided tape. It is removable but you'll have to clean and re-tape it, and it's a huge pain in the ass to get it sealed 100%, I still have rushing wind sound at speed.

myrddin 10-25-2018 04:47 PM

Hmmm... wish I had one to look st. It’s like 4-500 new with seal painted to match. Or I can find them used for 2-300... starting to think it may be better to skip this for now and buy new later.

ajpasa 10-26-2018 04:40 AM

Hey, I've just changed mine. That outer plastic piece comes with part of the seal. By that I mean the rubber that goes over the windshield (like small lip) and over the sealing.
From the inside you have the rubber seal, separately. Kornercarver, the rubberstrip is sold separately at another 250 ish. I bought that too.
But you don't need to change both, as long as it is still in good shape, and soft, and you re tape it to seal. But it's not hard, and you should not have problems with wind noise even then.

Back to you primary question, if the crack is small, I would remove it, and epoxy it from inside, to make it firm and sealed.
Search the web for how to remove it, you want to avoid cracking the tabs (and the A pillar itself). You are right, the A pillar is at around 400 bucks.

Br,
Al

myrddin 10-26-2018 05:36 AM

Thank you for the feedback. Sounds like the window to A Pillar seal is head on day double sided tape? I wish there was a right up with pics. Sounds like it’s doable. And yeah I have thought about just trying to epoxy the back of mine. Just not sure if it will hide it well enough. But it would be a cheap fix if it did

tmaia71 12-29-2018 05:49 PM

Windshield/A pillar weather trim

Anyone know if it’s possible to find the thin weatherstrip trim on the underside of the A pillar plastic molding? I’m referring to the piece that makes contact between the molding and the windshield, and even more importantly, the pieces that are in the four corners of the windshield that rot away from weather damage. I can’t find those for sale anywhere on the internet. See pics for reference.

tharais 03-22-2019 06:48 AM

In my experience, the four pieces in the lower and upper corners of the A pillar covers are unobtanium.

Others have suggested using black silicone caulk and molding it. I haven't tried that.

Interestingly enough, whenever I see a Z33 I'll walk by and see how their seals look. I've seen some that look quite new an pliable. I've seen others that have disintegrated like mine. Sun exposure is the culprit. That and poor material choice on the part of Nissan engineers. They should have chosen something that can survive sun exposure.